Acer Predator G5-793 [COOLBOOST] stops working when temps get high?

Nkfree
Nkfree Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello. I got coolboost feature enabled (fans over 5200rpm), yet when the laptop reaches 95°C or so the fan speed goes to 4600, shouldn't it stay at 5200 to be able to provide better circulation and why it doesn't. Can you give some insight, please?

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    At 95 C your CPU will throttle speed.
    Since the sensors Acer uses, utilize a combination of temperature and voltage to determine fan speed, the throttling of the CPU to a lesser speed (and therefore decreased voltage) would then lessen fan output levels.

It's quite normal for that temperature but perhaps you might consider undervolting your CPU to remove the thermal throttle and avoid this instance all together?
    Did you buy it used? The G5-793 has a good cooling system and shouldn't throttle under any load.. so my guess is that it's a used system and the thermal paste had begun to "gum up".. in which case I suggest getting it repasted either by yourself (if confident) or by an Acer technician.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Nkfree

Tinkerer

Thank you, that makes perfect sense, I considered this a possibility. I've bought it brand new but I've got it for one year performing at max. I got it undervolted by 0.110V. I've experienced higher temps so I decided to replace stock thermal paste myself and I certainly failed it with both gpu and cpu going over 95 without cooling pad during these hot days.

By the way when replacing thermal paste is it important to replace thermal pads too or can I just remove them since they started to bend?
  • Red-Sand
    edited August 2018
    Ah I see.
    Yeah then I would just "repaste" again and use the spread method since it's easy enough to do, just apply and use a credit card or something with a flat edge to spread it evenly (over the entire die).

Theres no real need to replace the thermal pads unless they get holes in them which isnt common.
    I've even heard of ants eating thermal pads right out of a system!
    Point is they should be fine as long as you take care. 

May I ask what type of paste you used?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Nkfree

Tinkerer

I've used Arctic MX-2 and CoolerMaster Gelmaker with nano particles before. After both repaste attempts I've experienced ridiculously high temps during these hot summer days. Before my repaste the gpu used to stay cooler and now it seems that somehow the CPU temp has much higher impact on GPU temp which is now lower than CPU temp by only 1 or 2°C.
  • Red-Sand
    Nkfree said:
    I've used Arctic MX-2 and CoolerMaster Gelmaker with nano particles before. After both repaste attempts I've experienced ridiculously high temps during these hot summer days. Before my repaste the gpu used to stay cooler and now it seems that somehow the CPU temp has much higher impact on GPU temp which is now lower than CPU temp by only 1 or 2°C.
    I would try repasting again and when you remove the heatsink check that the paste has fully covered the cpu/gpu.
    Even a small amount of uncovered/exposed metal will cause overheating.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Nkfree

Tinkerer

I repasted using the spread method. The cpu seems to be fine or not worse than before but I managed to mess the gpu somehow - when launching game or stressing gpu it would shutdown whole laptop in a while. Checked for the temps, last seen was 84°C. Hope I didn't mess up the gpu itself... Will later try and repaste gpu again. If this doesn't work, I'll have somebody do it for me but I thought I could learn it, *****. Anyway, thank you for your time man.
  • Nkfree

Tinkerer

I also removed the black tape frame around the gpu and there could be a bit of tape glue still left there. Did I do any damage to the gpu by removing the tape? 
  • Red-Sand
    Nkfree said:
    I also removed the black tape frame around the gpu and there could be a bit of tape glue still left there. Did I do any damage to the gpu by removing the tape? 
    That tape doesnt effect anything is removed.

The GPU thermal throttles at 85 C. So if its unable to cool itself down by throttling down it will shut off.

I suspect the paste at the GPU isnt set correctly.

There are a number of things to be watchful for that could cause the issue.
    For example, a folded piece of thermal pad or your screws not tightened properly or when you placed the heat sink back on you need to be sure your tightening each screw a little at a time, and not tighten one screw till its tight then move on.. this can cause uneven spread of the paste.

I suggest trying one more time and add a little paste to the heat spreader as well as the GPU to be sure it covers it completely.
    Then place the heat spreader back on evenly (not at an angle) and tighten each screw just a little at a time... kind of like tuning a drum skin on a drum or tightening tire lugs.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Nkfree

Tinkerer

I managed to get it working with another repaste and fixing folded thermal pads, yet I still struggle with temperatures. GTX 1060 went to 95°C, didn't throttle, didn't turn off, strange. CPU is okay but I'm only using 95% as max state.  I will probably have it repasted. Thank you for your help man.
  • Red-Sand
    That's very very high for the GPU.
    Even without repasting I never surpass 75 C on GPU. 

Are you sure your adding the proper amount?
    Perhaps have a tech repaste it?
    - Hotel Hero