Acer ED273 144hz refresh issue--No help from customer service--

kingjustin
kingjustin Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 16 in 2019 Archives
Hello,
I am looking for some much needed help. I have tried contacting the customer service, but they just told me to come here and disconnected the chat :/. Anyways,
my problem is that my computer will not allow me to go up to 144hz on my display setting. It only goes up to 120hz. 
I have an AMD Rx480 8gb GPU and running Windows 10. I have it plugged into the GPU via HDMI Not sure if that'll help.
The agent did say that it was something in my settings/software issue, but no help past that point (except for $60 remote access fee to fix, but not how to fix).

So any help would be much appreciated!!

Answers

• kingjustin
    kingjustin Member Posts: 2 New User
    Also! under device settings it says my monitor is a 'Generic PnP monitor'. Not sure if it's suppose to say that or Acer monitor etc. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    The PnP monitor thing is OK, that's just how it's supposed to work. HDMI only supports up to 120Hz, for 144Hz you need to use the Dual Link DVI.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Screwtech02
    Screwtech02 Member Posts: 1 New User
    What Billsey said is correct, I have 3 of these in a eyefinity setup, 2 on DP, and one on dual link DVI to run them all @ 144hz.  There is also a driver for them on the download/support page now.
  • juggawest
    juggawest Member Posts: 1 New User
    so with HDMI it'll be recognized as a Generic VGA monitor? my other rig recognized the tv as a S Br tv? But this states generic but only 60hz it's 144hz.
  • BRJ
    BRJ Member Posts: 1 New User
    billsey said:
    The PnP monitor thing is OK, that's just how it's supposed to work. HDMI only supports up to 120Hz, for 144Hz you need to use the Dual Link DVI.
    Actually, the ed273 uses displayport to reach 144hz.  The monitor can be attached using other methods, but those connections will not reach 144hz.  If the original commenter is connecting the computer to the monitor by any method other than displayport then the monitor will not have 144hz available.
  • ADeadlyFruit
    ADeadlyFruit Member Posts: 1 New User
    another way to get 144 hz is to create a custom display setting in the gpu software and change the max hertz to 144 with what ever resolution you want.