Audio issue with external display (displayport) Triton 700

Skree
Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello,

i have a strange issue. My machine is a Triton 700.

I usually connect the laptop when i am at home to an external display, it's a 144hz g-sync display, via displayport.

If i power on the computer the video signal is perfectly ok, but on windows 10 i can't use the audio connection of the display, it only sees the internal laptop speakers.

If i reboot the computer everything is fine. So it is more an annoyance than a real issue, but having to restart the computer each and every time i want to power it on is quite tiring.

Any ideas? Help?

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You can turn off by turning off quick startup in the power options! It might work OK, because at this shutdown, the notebook will not save the drivers that were initialized with windows!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• You should change the option for the monitor sound:
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Skree
    Thank you for your answer, unfortunately that's not a solution. That option doesn't appear.

As i have written: "i can't use the audio connection of the display, it only sees the internal laptop speakers." :P
  • Try updating the audio driver using the driverbooster program to update your notebook drivers!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Skree
    Thank you again for your answer, i appreciate the support.

Drivers are updated. To me it seems like the computer starts before checking for audio connectivity, if that's a thing that's even possible.

My external monitor has two ports, one HDMI and one Displayport.

If i set my external display on HDMI (which is not the connection to the pc), the triton starts and shows images on internal display and of course doesn't detect the external display. If i THEN switch from the display the connection to Displayport i can use the external display and the audio works fine.

If i start the computer with the display set to displayport the issue happens, and even if i switch the monitor back to HDMI and then displayport i still cannot see the audio options to use the external display audio hardware.

It's... as strange an issue can be, and more difficult to explain than it is actually to see it.
  • Can you tell the monitor model to see if there are any drivers?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    By display port, do you mean type C or HDMI? If type C, try using HDMI and see if the problem still occurs. If HDMI, try updating the nvidia drivers, or going to an older version.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Skree
    @sri369 by "displayport" i mean... displayport :P The Triton 700 has a full size displayport, and i use that one as i connect it to a 144hz g-sync panel. 

@egydiocoelho It's a Lenovo y27G, a 27 inches, 144hz, g-sync monitor.
  • On this site there is a driver! However these drivers are usually only for color! Download and install! Check the device manager for any troublesome drivers!
    https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/bd/pt/products/monitors-and-projectors/lcd-monitors/lenovo-y27g-monitor?linkTrack=Homepage:Body_Search+Products&searchType=3&keyWordSearch=Lenovo Y27g Monitor

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• When you restart and the sound works on the monitor, does this appear here?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Skree
    Yes, when i restart i see the correct screen and the display is also correctly identified as "len y27g".

On first bootup i instead only see the internal speaker of the laptop, even if the video output works fine.

It's.... weird.
  • Can you hit a photo like the image above? Did you set the monitor audio as default?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    I know it seems like a robotic response but I had a similar issue on my Helios 500 for my displays speakers and running the troubleshooter fixed it. (Yes windows troubleshooter actually worked for once! Lol)
    - Hotel Hero
  • Skree
    Can you hit a photo like the image above? Did you set the monitor audio as default?
    Here you are. This is what i see when i start the computer. When i reboot the lenovo monitor as an option appears.
  • Skree
    Red-Sand said:
    I know it seems like a robotic response but I had a similar issue on my Helios 500 for my displays speakers and running the troubleshooter fixed it. (Yes windows troubleshooter actually worked for once! Lol)
    Tried it, but unfortunately it doesn't solve it. I still have to reboot to have functioning audio on the external display.
  • Skree
    Just to be thorough. Here is how the sound selection menu appears after a reboot.

@egydiocoelho : where you see "dispositivo predefinito", that's "default device" in my language. So yes, of course the monitor is selected as the default device, but as you can see in the previous screen it is simply not detected on a normal boot... only after rebooting the computer everything works as it should.
  • Skree
    Sorry for the second post, i forgot to attach the screen -_-
  • I think I have an idea of what is going on, and this has to do with the quick startup! When you turn on the notebook without having the external monitor connected and then you turn off the notebook, windows saves the drivers that were loaded the moment you turned on the computer to a file! That way, the next time you turn on the notebook with the external monitor turned on, it does not find the monitor's sound drivers, and that driver only charges when the notebook restarts!
    Take a test: With the external monitor turned on and the sound running on the monitor, turn off the notebook with the Quick Launch enabled and then turn on the notebook even with the external monitor turned on and you will see that the sound will be identified on the monitor!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Skree
    Uh, it actually seems like something that could work. I am using the computer to do some work right now so i can't test it right away, but i will do so.

Do you think that shutting down my computer completely without fast boot activated would also be a good test, since it doesn't use "saved" drivers and settings?

I mean just shutting down my computer by pressinc SHIFT+Power Off. Do you think that would also be a good test?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You can turn off by turning off quick startup in the power options! It might work OK, because at this shutdown, the notebook will not save the drivers that were initialized with windows!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    You can also delete all the files EXCEPT "layout.ini" in the folder C:/Windows/Prefetch.

That will clear your fast startup cache and reset it which will then relearn itself to your current drivers etc.
    - Hotel Hero