Acer Nitro 5 An515-42 release date

Answers

• Jimster480
    Jimster480 Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:

Also interesting, to answer my own question about the DD4-2666 ram, is the memory controller looks to be set for DDR-2400...hrmmmm.....

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen 5 Mobile 2500U.html

It can support upto 3200Mhz DDR4. I believe the Dell Inspirion 7375 has the ability to adjust this.
    Any suggrstions on getting it to run on at 2666?

Can you give me a link to that info? Acer support is telling me it only supports 2400...so if true, having 2666 (the kind it shipped with) is pointless.
    Acer's own customer support wrote that it supports 2666 on best buy's website.
  • Red_Sun
    Red_Sun Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited July 2018
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:

Also interesting, to answer my own question about the DD4-2666 ram, is the memory controller looks to be set for DDR-2400...hrmmmm.....

It can support upto 3200Mhz DDR4. I believe the Dell Inspirion 7375 has the ability to adjust this.

Can you give me a link to that info? Acer support is telling me it only supports 2400...so if true, having 2666 (the kind it shipped with) is pointless.
    I see that. They also go on to state it has NVME support, which I am finding dubious at best. Attempted to install samsung 970 evo m.2. Did not recognize in BIOS. No option for NVME in BIOS. Even secure boot option appears locked. Tried a SATA m.2 drive and it was recognized. Go figure.

There may be work arounds, but it seems that the slot is SATA, and not NVME.

Also, Acer support seems highly confused and inconsistent with information and this frustrates me.
  • Jimster480
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:

I see that. They also go on to state it has NVME support, which I am finding dubious at best. Attempted to install samsung 970 evo m.2. Did not recognize in BIOS. No option for NVME in BIOS. Even secure boot option appears locked. Tried a SATA m.2 drive and it was recognized. Go figure.

Also, Acer support seems highly confused and inconsistent with information and this frustrates me.
    Well that sucks because I just had a 512G NVMe Drive that was ordred for this laptop for my bday.

Looks like Acer needs to update the bios again and give the options for the faster memory speed and NVMe support.
  • Red_Sun
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:

Well that sucks because I just had a 512G NVMe Drive that was ordred for this laptop for my bday.

Looks like Acer needs to update the bios again and give the options for the faster memory speed and NVMe support.
    Try it anyway. It is entirely possible I got a bad drive, and if yours works and mined didn't it might change the complexion of things.
  • Red_Sun
    We've been discussing it here, and the two things I didn't try due to apathy...lol.

• Jimster480
    Red_Sun said:
    We've been discussing it here, and the two things I didn't try due to apathy...lol.

Well when mine arrives I will certainly try it out.

• Red_Sun
    On a side note, yeah, Ballistix FTW
    Red_Sun said:

Which one did you order?

Also picked up some Ballistix 2666, actually $10 cheaper than the 2400 version. Seems to run snappier than the hyperX I returned. B)
  • Jimster480
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:

Which one did you order?

Also picked up some Ballistix 2666, actually $10 cheaper than the 2400 version. Seems to run snappier than the hyperX I returned. B)
    I ordered the A-Data SX8000, its 3D MLC.
  • Red_Sun
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:

Which one did you order?

Are you planning to clone it? If so,what kind of adapter will you use?
  • Jimster480
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:

Which one did you order?

Are you planning to clone it? If so,what kind of adapter will you use?
    I have an m.2 to SATA enclosure that I planned to use for the original drive so that I can use it as the secondary drive in the laptop.
    So I will use that sata adapter to boot the laptop and clone the disk with macrium reflect.
  • Red_Sun
    Sooooo, how is everyone's battery life on this thing?
  • Jimster480
    Red_Sun said:
    I've used it about 5 hours now max on battery. I didn't kill it though...
    I used it 3 hours without power saver and it wasn't dead either so.... overall its been really good.
  • intok
    intok Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

dclanz said:
    intok said:
    Has anyone tried it with Linux? Ubuntu 18.04 is what I would be running without ever booting into the version of Windows that it comes with, that all of the hardware just works is all that matters.
    No but I plan to try it out but with VirtualBox. Just waiting for the RAM I ordered to get here.
    VBox isn't the actual hardware though, need to know because I have no intention of running Windows.
  • dclanz
    dclanz Member Posts: 112 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    intok said:
    dclanz said:
    intok said:
    Has anyone tried it with Linux? Ubuntu 18.04 is what I would be running without ever booting into the version of Windows that it comes with, that all of the hardware just works is all that matters.
    No but I plan to try it out but with VirtualBox. Just waiting for the RAM I ordered to get here.
    VBox isn't the actual hardware though, need to know because I have no intention of running Windows.
    Can't assist you there @intok since Windows 10 will remain my primary OS. Perhaps one of the others may dual boot or opt to run Linux exclusively and provide you with some feedback.
    If a post helps or answers your question, be sure to hit the like button so the poster knows they were helpful.
    Try using the search function before posting, as your question may have been asked and resolved before.
    Be sure to check out my Acer An515-42 Clean Install Guide.
  • Red_Sun
    Red_Sun said:
    I've used it about 5 hours now max on battery. I didn't kill it though...
    I used it 3 hours without power saver and it wasn't dead either so.... overall its been really good.
      Made it to just under 5 hrs w/ battery saver options engaged and light web surfing. Background apps/bluetooth/high startup apps disabled. Hrmph. Thought it might be better than that.
  • Red_Sun
    Jimster, did you ever get that m2 drive working?
  • Angelgabchoi
    Angelgabchoi Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi huys - just got a new an515 42 ryzen 5 variant -i’d like to upgrade my ram from 4gb to just 8gb..i tried cpu z to check the speed of the stick but got confused since it showed only about 1198mhz in Dram...i just thought its exactly 2400mhz stick is the real stick i need..any comments?thanks ...newbee here
  • Jimster480
    Red_Sun said:
    I haven't tried it yet actually. I just got it around August 15th.
    Plan to try it this week.
    Hi huys - just got a new an515 42 ryzen 5 variant -i’d like to upgrade my ram from 4gb to just 8gb..i tried cpu z to check the speed of the stick but got confused since it showed only about 1198mhz in Dram...i just thought its exactly 2400mhz stick is the real stick i need..any comments?thanks ...newbee here
    Its DDR so its "double" what the speed is. So 1198 = 2396 AKA 2400.

I upgraded mine with Crucial Ballistix to 16GB. I bought 2666 memory but the BIOS doesn't allow for changes.
  • Angelgabchoi
    Angelgabchoi Member Posts: 3 New User
    Red_Sun said:

I upgraded mine with Crucial Ballistix to 16GB. I bought 2666 memory but the BIOS doesn't allow for changes.
    So it is the 2400stick indeed.i also thought about the 2666 mem before.but now i know..thank u sir
  • Jimster480
    Red_Sun said:

So it is the 2400stick indeed.i also thought about the 2666 mem before.but now i know..thank u sir
    I'm going to get another 2666 stick and see how that goes soon enough. Maybe I can get the whole laptop on 2666.