Aspire A515-41G-13J3 support for M.2 SSD

umbertovitale
umbertovitale Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
I've just bought a second hand A515-41G-13J3 and I would like to upgrade it installing a second SSD hard drive in the M.2 slot.
The laptop comes with 1 Tb classic HD, I would like to install an additional SSD HD in the M.2 and to move the OS for improving the performance.
The motherboard has a M.2 slot, which has a tooth on the right, so I suppose that it's a M.2 type M slot.

I installed a Samsung 970 EVO 250 Gb NVME but it isn't recognised and it doesn't appear anywhere.

Anyone has experience of the 41G series with regards to the M.2 slot?
Does it support NVME, SATAIII or both?
Should I change the SSD to a SATAIII model?

Thank a lot.

Umberto

Best Answers

• IVAN_PC
    IVAN_PC ACE Posts: 7,488 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi.

Your computer supports SATA and not PCIE 3.0.

Here compatible M2 SSDs according to the service manual.

Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.
  • IVAN_PC
    Answer ✓

the first question is yes, but it would be to place the M2 as primary and secondary storage HD.

On the second question, you could place one of 500GB.

;) 

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.

Answers

• IVAN_PC
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi.

Your computer supports SATA and not PCIE 3.0.

Here compatible M2 SSDs according to the service manual.

Regards.

• umbertovitale
    Great, thank you very much for support!
    So, could I install both HDs, leaving the original 1Tb and adding the SATAIII M.2?
    And could it work as primary boot HD, for moving on it the OS?

Last question, I see that the models listed in the document are up to 256 Gb, may I install also a 500 Gb SATAIII module, like for example a Samsung 850 EVO?

Thanks again!
  • IVAN_PC
    Answer ✓

the first question is yes, but it would be to place the M2 as primary and secondary storage HD.

On the second question, you could place one of 500GB.

;) 

• umbertovitale
    Perfect!
    So, I need to choose the model. I thought Samsung 860 EVO, not 850 which is older, but I found also cheaper Crucial MX500, WD Blue, and also Corsair, Kingston and Sandisk. Apparently the Crucial MX500 and WD Blue looks top rated and best value for money on Amazon, but if I need to put 10 bucks more I would prefer to buy the most performant and reliable (in particular) product. But without going to super PRO products.
    Since you are way more expert than me...do you suggest any brand/series in particular?
    Thank again!
  • IVAN_PC

Without a doubt WD, although crucial is always a good purchase with guarantees.

There are no studies that can indicate which models are more or less reliable, so none of them has anything bad in principle.

(Western Digital, Toshiba and Seagate), the user already decides.

Best Regards.