While playing CSGO my computer CPU gets up to 90c on low to medium settings, is this normal?

lloyddiviny
lloyddiviny Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I'm using a Acer Predator Helios 300 i7 850H, GTX 1060, 16gb of ram. When playing CSGO I get 120 fps (sometimes less) and my temps range from 70-95c. Many times the game will crash because the CPU gets too hot. I have the latest NVidia drivers and have had the game optimised. My resolution is at 1920 X 1080. when I have my fans at max and its stays on 80c. Is there a over heating problem with my computer or is this normal? I am concerned as predator sense is telling me that at 20%-25% CPU usage, the temperature of the CPU is between 80-95c. What should I do? Also I bought this laptop only 2 weeks ago. 

Comments

• lloyddiviny
    Cool boost mode is always on and I have raised the laptop to increase airflow
  • osmanre263
    osmanre263 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    You could try to undervolt your cpu or repaste it.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Turn on vsync and reduce FPS to 60, unless your monitor supports more than 60. It doesn't make any visual improvement to have more FPS than what the monitor supports.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    I'm using a Acer Predator Helios 300 i7 850H, GTX 1060, 16gb of ram. When playing CSGO I get 120 fps (sometimes less) and my temps range from 70-95c. Many times the game will crash because the CPU gets too hot. I have the latest NVidia drivers and have had the game optimised. My resolution is at 1920 X 1080. when I have my fans at max and its stays on 80c. Is there a over heating problem with my computer or is this normal? I am concerned as predator sense is telling me that at 20%-25% CPU usage, the temperature of the CPU is between 80-95c. What should I do? Also I bought this laptop only 2 weeks ago. 
    While i have no idea about helios 300 performance, there is clearly something wrong.
    You should get about 250-300 fps on max settings in csgo.
    http://y2u.be/ZSxBJghLmXo - this guy gets about 300 fps with 1060 and i7 6700. 
    While 8750 is laptop processor, you definetly should have about same fps as that guy.
    Here is another link - http://y2u.be/AQtvU4SqmfI
    This guy plays csgo on laptop with 1060 and much older, worse processor than yours and still gets about 200 fps.

How long do you have this unit, have you installed intel drivers and newest nvidia one?

You can try repasting (makes wonders on helios 300, @Red-Sand have made guide about how to do it on youtube - 
    http://y2u.be/Ph2ibK79zd8) or undervolting.
    But there are no guides on undervolting i7 8750 in acer laptops so either you can wait or use
    trial and error method yourself.
    Good cooling pad can also help, but no matter how you look at it, predator 300 grade laptop should run games like csgo without any problems or using any tricks.
  • sri369
    Guys... please do NOT compare someone else's benchmarks against yours. If you are comfortable with what you get, stick to that.

Reason being, you never know what software the other guy's system is running on, including what kind of services are on and what disabled, what antivirus, what other internal registry settings changes, and all that. These aren't visible even when someone publishes their game play video.

I have a helios 300 with i7 7700, 1060 6gb, 16 gb ram... and i get 60 fps (the max fps my laptop screen and my external monitor support) in all games i play on ultra settings - witcher 3, ghost recon wildlands, far cry to name a few, and temps at 60-75 with spikes to 80-85.
    In fact, my power settings are all directed more towards leaving CPU as idle as possible, like parking all cores and such, and I still get the needed performance in the games I play.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • M4rdock
    edited July 2018
    sri369 said:
    Guys... please do NOT compare someone else's benchmarks against yours. If you are comfortable with what you get, stick to that.

Reason being, you never know what software the other guy's system is running on, including what kind of services are on and what disabled, what antivirus, what other internal registry settings changes, and all that. These aren't visible even when someone publishes their game play video.

I have a helios 300 with i7 7700, 1060 6gb, 16 gb ram... and i get 60 fps (the max fps my laptop screen and my external monitor support) in all games i play on ultra settings - witcher 3, ghost recon wildlands, far cry to name a few, and temps at 60-75 with spikes to 80-85.
    In fact, my power settings are all directed more towards leaving CPU as idle as possible, like parking all cores and such, and I still get the needed performance in the games I play.
    While i agree with you partially, differences in performance cant be THAT stellar between different units and even brands.
    There is no explanation other than some issue if i7 8750 and 1060 cant even run this game on max settings with decent fps.

And if some things you mentioned (registry,programs) are really lowering performance that is still an issue.

• sri369
    edited July 2018
    @M4rdock
    My office laptop is a Dell, and it runs at normal temps, rarely becoming very warm when on turbo. But then 2 days ago, the same laptop, when i was working remote and turbo wasn't even on, it was actually "hot" to touch. Reason being I was working sitting in my balcony where the temps were in the 90s, instead of typical 70s inside home. So there could be differences.

Also, Windows 10... its store and literally all of its apps run in the background, even if you do not use them. One way to avoid this is to remove them all completely, or set laptop to best battery life that suspends all store related background activity to bare minimum levels.

Windows search indexer is another such culprit.

Why to all these... even running PredatorSense app open on desktop while playing games contributes to an extent. Best to turn it on only when needed - the parameters we set in it stay even with the app closed since it runs as a service.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • M4rdock
    edited July 2018
    sri369 i understand what you mean, but as i said before - even under extereme circumstances performance cant drop so low.
    Its like saying that its ok when computer with i7 7200 and gtx 760 cant run windows 10 when its hot outside lol
    gtx 7xx series is able to run csgo with crazy high fps, computer of this grade (8750,1060) should even notice that csgo is launched (ok, i went a little overboard with that one lol).

Good example is recent macbook - this unit cant even maintain i9 on 3.0 ghz and even then its temperatures reach about 95c under stress, while helios 500 has no either termal or performance problem at all with this processor.
    BUT even in macbook,gimped i9 has decent performance and is outperforming older macbooks.

When fps are that low its either some system problem, like you mentioned, or hardware. 
    There is no other explanation (as long as op is not running this game on battery with power saving mode :) )

btw. i agree that there are many things in windows 10 that can affect performance tremendously lol
    But that still means that something is wrong and op should try to fix it.
  • sri369
    M4rdock said:
    btw. i agree that there are many things in windows 10 that can affect performance tremendously lol
    But that still means that something is wrong and op should try to fix it.
    On dot... hence the troubleshooting mode activated on him... I hope he responds promptly so i could try closing this before i head to bed :-)
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • lloyddiviny
    I don't want to repaste my CPU as it would interfere with my warranty. I will try undervolting as my last option. I am going to try and contact acer to see if they can fix the problem. I bought this laptop on the 14/7/18  ( U.S conversion 7/14/18 ) at Harvey Norman in Australia. Thanks for the help and I agree with you M4rdock, I should be getting heaps more frames on CSGO. Another problem I have with my computer is that when off charge / unplugged, I only get 30 fps on any game I am on. Fortnite runs fine if I lock it at 60fps, the game isn't very CPU intensive and I am worried that  I can never use my CPU to its potential. I payed a lot of money and I don't want to have to sacrifice or compromise with my pc. I want to get my moneys worth. 
  • sri369
    Another problem I have with my computer is that when off charge / unplugged, I only get 30 fps on any game I am on.
    This is normal... Inbuilt battery cannot pump the needed power without risk of explosion to allow CPU and GPU to work at full potential.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • M4rdock
    I don't want to repaste my CPU as it would interfere with my warranty. I will try undervolting as my last option. I am going to try and contact acer to see if they can fix the problem. I bought this laptop on the 14/7/18  ( U.S conversion 7/14/18 ) at Harvey Norman in Australia. Thanks for the help and I agree with you M4rdock, I should be getting heaps more frames on CSGO. Another problem I have with my computer is that when off charge / unplugged, I only get 30 fps on any game I am on. Fortnite runs fine if I lock it at 60fps, the game isn't very CPU intensive and I am worried that  I can never use my CPU to its potential. I payed a lot of money and I don't want to have to sacrifice or compromise with my pc. I want to get my moneys worth. 
    While i have no idea how it looks in australia, you should check your laptop then before contacting acer.
    Was your lapotop sealed when you get it ? (when i was trying different laptops in my local shop, helios 300 was running very slow and hot, after closer look i found out that crafty salesman installed miner script and this poor unit was minning him crypto lol) 
    In windows task manager check if there are any programs running that use a lot of cpu/gpu/ram. If you are using macaffe virus, unistall it - it really slows down system.
    Different windows updates are also having different problems - best one imo is 1709.
    Also do a clean install of windows 10 with drivers from acer site - it could also help.
    Disable killer networking service if you have it - its also one of pefromance ruiners.
    Lastly - check if you are running csgo with nvidia gpu - its also possible that by some mistake windows 10 doesnt recognize csgo as game and its still running this app on intel gpu.

About battery performance - its perfectly normal that laptop performance is MUCH,MUCH lower on battery, it would be simply impossible to keep even fraction of this laptop power on battery - first, it would be empty in very short time and also could overheat or even explode with that amount of power being drained from it (or thats what i heard), there is no way to rig your laptop to make it even 50% as fast as on charger with only battery power.
  • sri369
    M4rdock said:
    Was your lapotop sealed when you get it ? (when i was trying different laptops in my local shop, helios 300 was running very slow and hot, after closer look i found out that crafty salesman installed miner script and this poor unit was minning him crypto lol)
    That was really uncalled for... he could be fired for doing this, along with being asked to pay for the damages caused since mining literally kills hardware.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • M4rdock
    edited July 2018
    sri369 said:
    M4rdock said:
    That was really uncalled for... he could be fired for doing this, along with being asked to pay for the damages caused since mining literally kills hardware.
    Yeah, but its big market (one of german chain stores in europe), not some small family busines or something.
    In my country people dont work long in this kind of shops - they pay minimum vage and all your earnings come from % of things you sale, (i dont know english word, provision? commision?divi?) so rotation is big in those kind of places.

Thats why i would NEVER buy post-exposition hardware.
    My friend was working in this kinds of shops and i know from him that people who work there can (at least in some of these shops) just "rent" things to use when they go on vacation and so on and then they just repack it  so it looks like new etc. It is quite common, especially with cameras, laptops, phones etc.

Thats why im always cautious when i get new equipment, even if it looks like new there is always possibility it isnt lol

I agree thats very bad tho, especially with mining.
  • lloyddiviny
    edited July 2018
    Any game I try to run play  while unplugged crashes at the loading screen. I don't think that's normal or ok, its is a gaming laptop, I should be able to play games while unplugged. 

Below  is a screen shot of my game settings and  predator sense results while in game. Sorry for poor image quality. In this photo I am getting 144 FPS (don't usually get this much)and my fans are on auto, cool boost is on, fans are at 5357 rpm, CPU temperature is 89c, 18% being used. GPU is at 65c and at 42%. I get similar temperatures even when I put all of my setting at low. This is the settings NVidia recommends for my computer. and a screenshot of the results while in game.
  • lloyddiviny
    Harvey Norman is a very large computer and appliances store in Australia, one of the biggest. I am almost 100% sure that they would not have put a  'miner script' in my machine. I bought this computer in store not online.
  • lloyddiviny
    My computer is brand new not secondhand

• lloyddiviny
    Would running a external monitor make my computer worse? get hotter? I'm using a 4k 60hz monitor but I have set it at 1080p resolution. Could that be the problem? 
  • sri369
    @lloyddiviny

Just because it is a gaming laptop does not mean it can play intensive games when on battery. A battery can supply power at only a rated capacity, and beyond that they simply could explode. This is a limitation on batteries. From my view, a gaming laptop is a normal laptop when on battery working at reduced capacity, and works at full capacity only when connected to power.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • M4rdock
    edited July 2018
    Any game I try to run play  while unplugged crashes at the loading screen. I don't think that's normal or ok, its is a gaming laptop, I should be able to play games while unplugged. 

Below  is a screen shot of my game settings and  predator sense results while in game. Sorry for poor image quality. In this photo I am getting 144 FPS (don't usually get this much)and my fans are on auto, cool boost is on, fans are at 5357 rpm, CPU temperature is 89c, 18% being used. GPU is at 65c and at 42%. I get similar temperatures even when I put all of my setting at low. This is the settings NVidia recommends for my computer. and a screenshot of the results while in game.
    With script your cpu usage would be WAYYYY higher so i think we can forget about that :)

This temperature is definetly not normal under this kind of low cpu usage, if i were you i would try to reinstall windows and when it doesnt help try undervolting.

If you dont wont to repaste it then either ask your shop to swap this unit for new one or send it to acer for repair imo (i dont know how it looks from perspective of consumer rights in australia).

I think it crashes because your cpu gets way too hot when under heavy load.
    If you want try some heavy-cpu benchmark or some all purpose one like passmark performance test and check how performance and temperatures look like in it (average i7 8750 gets about 12500 points in this benchmark) just remember to plug it in before benchmarking.

IMO you should start with reinstalling windows 10 or updating bios if you can (i had problem with overheating cpu in my vaio laptop and bios reset fixed it - helios 300 has small hole which you need to press for few seconds to restet batter, i dunno if it resets bios at the same time, but i would try it).

@sri369 i agree, but games shouldnt crash on battery - they should have very low performance, on any laptop i ever owned nothing ever crashed on battery.