Keyboard replacement - Acer Aspire V3-575T-7008

leendo
leendo Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have this 2 yeard old Aspire V3-575t-7008 which has been working as it should, except for the keyboard that needs to be replaced (doesn't register key presses). I already bought a replacement but I'm stuck at removing the actual keyboard from the frame. Any insight is helpful!!!

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    leendo 

For this model, the keyboard is included as part of the top assembly and can not be disassembled. In the event that the keyboard can no longer be used, you neee to replace the entire top assembly. You need to start from removing the ODD, then Base cover, mainboard, touchpad module and other components to get to the top assembly.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Answer ✓
    leendo 

For this model, the keyboard is included as part of the top assembly and can not be disassembled. In the event that the keyboard can no longer be used, you neee to replace the entire top assembly. You need to start from removing the ODD, then Base cover, mainboard, touchpad module and other components to get to the top assembly.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • shef
    shef Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I have a similar issue, but it's very perplexing. The power button, which is part of the keyboard (upper right key of the board), works. There's only one cable for the keyboard (not counting the backlight cable). The keys don't even work in the BIOS setup, much less Windows, except for the power button... I had to use the Windows 10 repair options to even access the BIOS setup because the F2 key or any other keys (except the power button key) work on system startup. Keyboard device shows up in Windows device manager. I updated to the most recent BIOS available on Acer's website for this laptop, uninstalled and reinstalled touchpad driver, did Windows updates, you name it, I tried it. Even clearing CMOS (pushing the little "hidden" reset button, pulling the batteries, and draining all power from the system. Still, the power button key works great, but none of the other keys...perplexed
  • leendo
    1st: I fixed the laptop!  B)

2nd: Sharanji, you're 100% right! ;) and that is just sad :s (I'll explain later).

3rd: Shef, your issue was my issue! I hadn't elaborated the problem as well as you did. I don't know if you have got the same model, but I suspect that in my case the cause was bad thermal design/engineering.

You see, the keyboard itself is like any other but to isolate the flat panel (with the conductive stripes) from the metal frame that protects them, the manufacturer uses a thin cheap dreadful plastic sheet.

When I opened my laptop I found out this plastic sheet was melted. The CPU fan is right under and it heats considerably. And without the plastic sheet the conductive stripes touch the metal frame causing short circuits (no presses registered and/or long presses only etc). This thing could be avoided if heat resistant silicone was used instead of the cheap dreadful plastic.

Side note: I wonder if the power button stripe is separated from the rest because we are able to turn the laptop on, even when the rest of the keyboard is useless. Note that the CPU fan is located on the UPPER LEFT, while the power button is on the UPPER RIGHT.

The solution:
    Replace the keyboard. The keyboard isn't part of the top assembly, just like Sharanji added. It is sandwiched between the top frame (plastic) and the aforementioned metal frame and it is NOT secured by screws or tabs but by plastic rivets that are part of the top frame, go through the keyboard and finally are 'stamped' onto the metal frame.

The sad part in 7 steps: you will have to...
    1. Disassemble the whole laptop (thanks Sharanji);
    2. Carefully melt the plastic rivets into 'spikes' using a soldering iron (I added links with videos that may give you an idea);
    3. Remove the metal frame (I would say 'carefully' but that wasn't the way... every now and then I had to use brute force and even bend it. Thankfully it is metal and can be somewhat bent back to its original form. You can even break some rivets that are not in proper shape... between 5 or 10 is a good number, because there are about 40).
    4. Remove the faulty keyboard and install the replacement keyboard;
    5. Replace the metal frame;
    6. Melt the plastic rivets into 'stamps' back again;
    7. Reassemble the whole thing.

Recommendations:
    1. Record the disassembly in order to remember where the screws and cables go, etc. You know that sad feeling when you put the computer back together and in the end there are two screws left and no sound/wifi :#
    2. Set a low temperature when using the soldering iron and increase as you go - remember you're going to melt the rivets twice (not burn them);
    3. Add something that cannot be easily melted/burned between the cheap dreadful plastic sheet and the metal frame. *** YOU ONLY HAVE ONE CHANCE OF DOING THIS AND THAT IS BETWEEN STEPS 4 AND 5 *** I used plain paper because I don't think that the heat generated by the CPU fan is enough to set it on fire and it should be enough to avoid direct contact between the cheap dreadful plastic sheet and the fan.
    4. Since it's all taken apart, take your time to clean the fan and reapply thermal paste to reduce the whole thermal issue.

These links might help:

Cheers!

• Sharanji
    leendo 
    Thanks for the weblink and elaborating the steps. It would be helpful for other users. I appreciate all your efforts
  • JeffreyLevine
    JeffreyLevine Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

leendo   I have the same exact model of Acer Aspire (V3-575T-5008) as you, and mysteriously, 5 keys on my keyboard quit working one day.  I spent a lot of time looking for solutions before finding your answer.  Based on the information you provide, I'm going to just use an external keyboard with my computer.  

By the way, this computer shipped with a 1 TB HDD and 8 GB RAM, on a single card (fortunately).  Have you upgraded either?  And would you recommend it?  At least I now have experience opening up the back of the case, and it would be easy to upgrade either or both.  I just don't know if it would be worth the cost.   
  • leendo
    JeffreyLevine, that would depend on your use. The upgrade should be relatively easy in both cases.

In my opinion, it's worth replacing the HDD with a SSD because it will reduce reading and writing times and often give you a better experience. Also, it generates less heat while draining less. In fact, I would recommend this on any given day. Basically, any 2.5" SSD will work. You will have to is reinstall the OS or clone the disk, which takes some time, though.

On the other hand, increasing the installed RAM wouldn't do much in terms of 'speed'. In my case, the system barely uses more than 4 GB and only when I run a virtual machine it reaches 7-8 GB. It would make sense to upgrade if it had a more powerful CPU (i.e 4 cores / 8 threads) or was gaming system, because it could make use of more RAM. If you want to upgrade your memory kit, this thread might be useful: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/400558/memory-upgrade-in-acer-aspire-v3-575t-7008

Cheers!