Aspire A515-51G - Synaptics driver

rahulchhabra19
rahulchhabra19 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 18 in 2018 Archives
Aspire A515-51G - Synaptics driver , Need touch pad driver for single touch scroll

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    I think you have a Precision Touchpad, I couldn't find any Synaptics driver from Acer support site, you need to make sure that you have Synaptics touchpad in your laptop( check in Hardware IDs in Device manager).
    Download the driver from Synaptics, go to BIOS and switch to Basic mode for your touchpad, install the driver after uninstalling the current driver.
    Please make a backup of your system or system restore point to be on the safe side.
    http://www.synaptics.com/resources

• rahulchhabra19
    rahulchhabra19 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi mate

I have Acer aspire 5
  • brummyfan2
    edited October 2017
    Hi,
    Could you please expand "Human Interface devices" and "Mice & other pointing devices" in Device manager, post the snip like the one in my previous post.
  • pista97
    pista97 Member Posts: 9 New User
    edited November 2017
    Hello,i got the same laptop Acer a515 51g and i cant scroll or zoom on my touchpad.Here is photo of mine driver.I  can not post a photo here.I will try sending it to inbox. It is not possible to sent photos for newcomers.Driver name is PS/2 Port compatible pointing device.Is there any help for this?

• pista97 said:
    Hello,i got the same laptop Acer a515 51g and i cant scroll or zoom on my touchpad.Here is photo of mine driver.I  can not post a photo here.I will try sending it to inbox. It is not possible to sent photos for newcomers.Driver name is PS/2 Port compatible pointing device.Is there any help for this?

Hi,
    Have you checked your BIOS settings? If not, go to BIOS settings and check whether your Touchpad is in Basic mode or Advanced mode(see my previous post above).
  • pista97
    Yes it is on basic mode.
  • OK, switch to Advanced,  click on Basic and with up/Down button move to Advanced, click F10 to save settings and exit.

• pista97
    Thank you very much man!
  • Hi,
    You are welcome, please mark the thread answered, thanks :)
  • masterbhimsen
    masterbhimsen Member Posts: 1 New User
    OK, switch to Advanced,  click on Basic and with up/Down button move to Advanced, click F10 to save settings and exit.

Thanks Sir... This process worked on my acer a515-51G-50JE (aspire 5) thanksssssss again :-)  
  • brummyfan2
    OK, switch to Advanced,  click on Basic and with up/Down button move to Advanced, click F10 to save settings and exit.

Thanks Sir... This process worked on my acer a515-51G-50JE (aspire 5) thanksssssss again :-)  

You are welcome :)
  • cbrewster1
    cbrewster1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Unfortunately, none of this more informed advice worked for me after several hours.  This after I tried the pedestrian, non-helpful Microsoft assistance, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027866/windows-fix-touchpad-problems-in-windows-10.  

I had just bought this laptop on Friday 3/23/18, got all email accounts and business data pushed over the weekend.  Then the Windows10 update happened on Monday OFFSITE and the touchpad would NOT work.  Though I am upset with Microsoft who seemingly pushes/forces updates that overwrite workable drivers or change memory pointers, I am also surprised at Acer Support who does not have a touchpad driver for the Aspire 515 even to try.

I did a full reset/reinstall of windows and still nothing.  I am returning this Acer Aspire 515 to Costco AFTER so much wasted time.    I really am stunned that a brand new system designed for Win10, loaded, would catastrophically fail for 'laptop', mobile functionality.  I have battled switching from Microsoft for years and actually stayed on Windows 7 until this purchase. If something remotely similar happens to another Win10 laptop I try today, I will abandon Microsoft for Apple. 
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Your choice but first I would check Device Manager > View > Show hidden devices and look for a touchpad driver that failed to start and what the error code is. If there is nothing then maybe the touchpad failed (rare).
  • cbrewster1
    cbrewster1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Padgett,
    I was in device manager for hours last night, saw touchpad, saw Synaptics, but the approaches above and elsewhere did not work as for others, including
    1) bootup touchpad
     2) Download the Intel IO chip set drivers for Windows 8.1. Run the setup for the driver in "compatibility mode" and install. You will need to restart the computer. The computer will then recognize the track pad as a valid device. Then download and install the Synaptics (or Elan) driver for Win 10 from the Acer support page and restart. If the track pad is not immediately active on the restart, hit Function F7.  https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/375973/in+my+acer+after+installing+windows+10+my+touchpad+is+not+working

When I would press touchpad an icon would appear in top middle of screen resembling a touchpad with a red x in bottom left corner.

I am a fairly technical person, and an update simply should not do this.  Moreover why does Acer NOT have a driver for the Aspire 515, https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7244?b=1

Anyway, I have decided to return.  I cannot afford this to happen offsite again.

Chris
  • brummyfan2
    Padgett,
    I was in device manager for hours last night, saw touchpad, saw Synaptics, but the approaches above and elsewhere did not work as for others, including
    1) bootup touchpad
     2) Download the Intel IO chip set drivers for Windows 8.1. Run the setup for the driver in "compatibility mode" and install. You will need to restart the computer. The computer will then recognize the track pad as a valid device. Then download and install the Synaptics (or Elan) driver for Win 10 from the Acer support page and restart. If the track pad is not immediately active on the restart, hit Function F7.  https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/375973/in+my+acer+after+installing+windows+10+my+touchpad+is+not+working

When I would press touchpad an icon would appear in top middle of screen resembling a touchpad with a red x in bottom left corner.

I am a fairly technical person, and an update simply should not do this.  Moreover why does Acer NOT have a driver for the Aspire 515, https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7244?b=1

Anyway, I have decided to return.  I cannot afford this to happen offsite again.

Chris
    Hi,
    If you want to install Synaptics driver, you have to set the Touchpad in Basic mode (in BIOS) and install the downloaded Synaptics driver from Acer support site. The driver for Touchpad(HID-compliant mouse) is provided by Microsoft but the hardware is either from Synaptics or Elantech, so if you are using the HID-compliant touchpad, the driver is installed by the OS.
  • Waseem19
    Waseem19 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Acer aspire 5 a515-51g laptop physical keyboard not working in windows 10 anyone have a solution pzz share
  • Waseem19
    Acer aspire 5 a515-51g laptop physical keyboard not working in windows 10 anyone have a solution pzz share
  • Waseem19
  • CTIKC
    CTIKC Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

thanks a lot. your post was really helpfull. Now my touchpad is work properly with all functions
  • 4antom
    4antom Member Posts: 56 Troubleshooter
    Aspire A515-51G - Synaptics driver , Need touch pad driver for single touch scroll
    It runs ELAN drivers, I think "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rfwR-IV-c&t=52s"