Acer Aspire VN7-591G M.2 PCIe x4 NVMe SSD support

Morgan
Morgan Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Is there a way to get ACER to add M.2 PCIe x4 NVMe SSD support for boot devices to a new Bios firmware update for the ACER ASPIRE VN7-591G so that we can use and boot from NVMe SSD's like "Samsung SSD 960 Pro Series NVMe MLC - M.2 2280"? The Intel chipset of the Acer Aspire VN7-591G should support it and it would be only a matter of adding support in the bios for it.

Acer also added it to the VN7-592G after pressure from the community. It seemed to have taken a community invoked ban on Amazon to get them to add NVMe support, see:

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Why-is-the-M2-PCIE-slot-speed-capped-to-1-5GBs-VN7-592G-71ZL/m-p/394275#M6242

There seems to be some project to manually add support to the bios .fd rom file yourself for motherboard with intel 6 / 9 series chipsets, but that seems to be directed at AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS and the ACER ASPIRE VN7-591G seems to have a Insyde BIOS:

http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html

Answers

• dezmond
    dezmond Member Posts: 5 New User

I got a 960 evo working on a v5-591g . The speeds are a little low like 1700mb read and write, but it boots . You have to use uefi to be able to use it. Boot time is super fast , like under 10 secs.

• Jerleth
    Jerleth Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi Dezmond,

I am also in that situation: I've got a 960 evo and a VN7-591g.
    But I am unable to get it working - It doesn't show up in the bios and I cannot install Win10 on it, as it does recognize the disk.
    I've got Uefi enabled in the bios, as you wrote. I've also tried loading Samsungs NVMe driver from a usb drive and it didn't help.

My Bios is version is 1.11 not sure if makes a difference.

How did you get it working?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

Jerleth wrote:

Hi Dezmond,

I am also in that situation: I've got a 960 evo and a VN7-591g.
    But I am unable to get it working - It doesn't show up in the bios and I cannot install Win10 on it, as it does recognize the disk.
    I've got Uefi enabled in the bios, as you wrote. I've also tried loading Samsungs NVMe driver from a usb drive and it didn't help.

My Bios is version is 1.11 not sure if makes a difference.

How did you get it working?

Hi,

You need to establish whether you can use a NVMe SSD in your model, download and install HWiNFO64, run it and check the PCI Express Root ports for their Maximum Link Width, if you find the values of 2x or 4x, you can install a NVMe SSD. For more detailed information read this thread:http://community.acer.com/t5/E-F-V-and-M-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-E5-575-52JF-m-2-nvme-support/td-p/497241

• AJ_Shrestha
    AJ_Shrestha Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Was anyone able to get the NVMe SSD working?
    I recently purchased Samsung 960 EVO but can't get it working!
    I would really appreciate if someone could help me out.
    Thanks.
  • kimouser64
    kimouser64 Member Posts: 2 New User