Acer C720 - SWOLLEN BATTERY!

mtalbert63
mtalbert63 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2018 in Chromebooks
We have developed the swollen battery on our Acer C720 Chromebooks. We own over 100 of these devices and now have 25 with this swollen battery. I contacted Acer support to which I was transferred about five times. They are unwilling to do anything for us. The solution that they gave me was to send the device back to Acer for a $140 repair. That makes zero sense for a school district. I realize these things are out of warranty and I am asking not complete replacement, but I believe that Acer should accept some responsibility for this problem. It is obviously widespread and a defect from Acer's battery. I even asked about purchasing replacement batteries from Acer to which I was told that was not an option. 

We will not purchase any more chromebooks from Acer if this is the support that we will receive. At no point in time can you expect school districts to continue to use batteries that are swollen with gas and in danger of explosion. You also cannot expect a school district to pay $140 to repair a device that cost $200 three years ago.

If you are thinking of purchasing the a new chromebook from Acer, I would look elsewhere! 

Answers

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru

Hi mtalbert63,

Sorry to hear that you’re having problems, I have sent you a PM requesting the information that I need so I can follow up and help with this matter.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• LifeofCory
    LifeofCory Member Posts: 1 New User
    I made an account just to reply to this, I work at a School District and we have 6000+ of these devices. We have the same issue and our Rep isnt being very helpful. We don't plan on purchasing from Acer if this is how their support is.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired

Hi LifeofCory,

Sorry to hear that you’re having problems with this devices, I have sent you a PM requesting the information that I need to have a Premier customer advocate follow up and help with this matter.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• CS515185
    CS515185 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same problem as well D:
  • C720Chromebook
    C720Chromebook Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello. My C720 Chromebook's battery has now expanded to the point where the track pad doesn't work and the screen does not close. I did not know what it was until I found this forum. What are my options? What have been some of the solutions that Acer has provided? Thanks.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi CS515185 and C720Chromebook,

Sorry to hear that you’re having problems, I have sent you all a PM requesting the information that I need to have a Premier customer advocate follow up and help with this matter.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • mviola352
    mviola352 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have had my C720 for a few years and the battery is really starting to swell. I first noticed this when the touchpad did not feel the same. Now my case on the right side is really showing the swelling. Is there anything Acer will do? I know its out of warranty but I feel this is a safety concern.
  • cbriggs
    cbriggs Member Posts: 1 New User
    Out school district has the same issue.  Chromebook stopped charging and when opened chromebook, the battery is swollen; looks like it is ready to burst.
  • Devvid
    Devvid Member Posts: 1 New User
    I know have the same problem. Has anyone found a solution by any chance?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Send ACER-Manny above a PM so he's aware of your swollen battery issues. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi mviola352cbriggs and Devvid,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Chromebooks.

Have any of yall contacted any of our support lines?

I need to received a PM from you all with your contact information and a short description of the issues and the amount of Chromebooks that are having the issue so i can it escalated to our Premier Customer Advocate's and have them follow up and help with this matter.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • KES
    KES Member Posts: 2 New User
    We are having the same issue with a number of our Chromebooks. I've searched for a way to PM Acer-Manny but I don't yet see I have an option to send PMs (new community user/account). I'm hoping that by making a public post my account will be granted access to send PMs. If that isn't the case, what must new members do for that capability?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi KES,

Can i please have the following information via PM so i can follow up with this issue and have a Customer Advocate contact you on this matter: 

Name, phone, email, serial #, how many Chromebooks?

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • KES
    KES Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2018
    Hi Manny,

Here is a picture of the serial number and other info from the back of one of the more pronounced battery swelling.

[Edited post to remove un-allowed or personal content - Acer-Manny
  • Yorktech
    Yorktech Member Posts: 1 New User
    Our school has discovered 33 of our C720P chromebooks with this issue - who can help us out with this problem... thanks
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    edited July 2018
    Hi Yorktech,

Please send me a PM with the following information, so i can follow up with this issue and have a Customer Advocate contact you on this matter: 

Name: 
    Phone: 
    Email: 
    School District:  
    How many Chromebooks:

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • Jon_Davie
    Jon_Davie Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have about 50 of the C720s and every one of them has a swollen battery.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi Jon_Davie,

Sorry to hear this, please send a PM with the following information: 

Name: 
    Phone: 
    Email: 
    School District:  
    How many Chromebooks:

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • mflis
    mflis Member Posts: 2 New User
    I just created an account to chime in.  My son's Aspire R7 stopped working today and when I opened the back, all 4 cells of the battery were very swollen -- the back practically popped off when I removed the screws.  Very disappointed and very dangerous.  Seems to be a common problem.  I chatted with answersby who sent me to the Acer in-warranty number to lodge a complaint, but that auto-transferred me back to answersby who then suggested I lodge my complaint in the community section.  I am capable of replacing the battery, but this is rather poor quality and will be our last Acer purchase - and I will tell everyone I know about this very dangerous Acer product.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    @mflis I suggest you also send a PM on this issue to the forum moderator in the response immediately before your post. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ