Why doesn't the fan properly spin up while in game

gaon97
gaon97 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
During gaming or other more intensive tasks, I noticed the laptop runs hot...85c hot
The laptop fan does spin up but I feel it inadequate. Was wondering if anyone has this issue
(Acer, if you're seeing this please issue a fix/laptop fan software or BIOS update to improve the fan curve)
My laptop is the Aspire E14 E5-476G 54G4

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Anything below about 90°C under high load is normal. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    That sounds good. Please let us know how it works if you try other settings. Thanks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Anything below about 90°C under high load is normal. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    gaon97 

A laptop cooling pad can help to reduce the operating temperature of a  gaming laptop. These pads are used when a laptop is not able to cool itself  sufficiently. It is intended to not only protect the laptop from  overheating but also to prevent the laptop user from suffering from  discomfort that is related to the use of a laptop. An active cooler will  move air around or a cooled liquid to remove laptop heat quickly.  Passive methods use materials that conduct heat and help to increase a  passive airflow around the laptop. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • gaon97
    Well...my laptop just hit 98c today while in Dota 2
  • gaon97
    Could it be the thermal paste drying up
  • JackE
    If it actually reached 98*C for anything more than a second or two, it likely would've automatically shutdown. I suggest that you first try to alternately vacuum the air intake port and blow air thru the exhaust port a half dozen or so times to loosen and remove any dust debris that might've accumulated around the fan and heatsink. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gaon97
    It's a 5 month old laptop...and I always keep it clean. I have always use a blow air tool to blow at the vents, and a full wipe of the whole laptop
  • gaon97
    This handy device
  • gaon97
    Ok...I just tried downloading Notebook Fan Control and it kept the temperature at around 92c
  • gaon97
    While playing GTA5
  • JackE
    Is the system sitting on a hard surface? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gaon97
    Yes
    I searched around and found Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility
    After dialing in a -0.085V the temperatures were much better. It stay usually below 80c but still spikes occasionally to 90c
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    That sounds good. Please let us know how it works if you try other settings. Thanks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ