how good is the Acer Predator's 17 cooling?

andrew143
andrew143 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
hi

I just want to ask how good is the cooling in the Acer predator 17 because I'm running a mining program and I'm a bit worried now that it may overheat the processor as I've bought this laptop a few weeks ago. if I put the portable cooling fan will it do any good?

Best Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    andrew143 
    This is not that easy question and the answer is it depends on a lot of different factors. Mining will max your laptop continuously, putting a lot of strain on the cooling system. You can monitor your laptop using the Predator sense application preinstalled on your laptop.
    Please check this weblink for more information :  Mining with Acer predator 17

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    NEVER use a laptop, esp a gamer laptop, for mining. They are not worth the costs in terms of laptop costs and power costs.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Answers

• Sharanji
    Hi @andrew143
    This model can handle heavy CPU and GPU load excellently anyway, additional fan called FrostCore can be swapped for the optical drive in the notebook, this would have insignificant temperature drop. The DVD ROM is also removable which also insertion of the third fan for a better cooling system. The largest vent intake can be found on the bottom of the laptop beside the subwoofer which comes with Acer DustDefender technology that allows the fan to spin reversely for some period of time.

A laptop cooling pad can help to reduce the operating temperature of a  gaming laptop. There are basically two types of laptop coolers. One that blows air up to the laptop and into the vents underneath the laptop. The other type blows downward onto the table and attempts to suck heat away from the laptop. More expensive coolers blows air up into the laptop while it seems less expensive coolers blows air down. Blowing air up is a more effective way to cool a laptop, but it can also blow dust up into the laptop so you need to make sure the table is clean.

The effectiveness basically depends on if the vents underneath the laptop are close enough to the fan(s) in the laptop cooler, plus if there is enough space inside the laptop for air to flow effectively. That will vary from laptop to laptop. So while "Laptop Cooler X" may lower temps in one laptop model by 6C, for another laptop model it may only lower temps by 3C. It all depends on the design of the laptop.

• andrew143
    but what happens if I use this laptop for mining cryptocurrency. if I just try a mining program and uninstall it will the laptops's lifespan shorten?. how can I tell if my cpu and gpu are ok and will not overburn anytime soon,
  • Sharanji
    Answer ✓
    andrew143 
    This is not that easy question and the answer is it depends on a lot of different factors. Mining will max your laptop continuously, putting a lot of strain on the cooling system. You can monitor your laptop using the Predator sense application preinstalled on your laptop.
    Please check this weblink for more information :  Mining with Acer predator 17

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    andrew143 said:
    but what happens if I use this laptop for mining cryptocurrency. if I just try a mining program and uninstall it will the laptops's lifespan shorten?. how can I tell if my cpu and gpu are ok and will not overburn anytime soon,
    The answer is simply that the more the laptop runs at full throttle (cryptomining requires heavy usage), life expectancy of the laptop will be reduced (due to heat). 

As for the link Sharanji posted, it is simply not worth it. These laptops are not designed for cryptomining. It would take 2-3 years of constant mining to make back the cost of the laptop (if not longer since mining is kind of in a slump right now).

In conclusion, it is not recommended to mine on these laptops (or any laptop, they are simply not made for it).

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • andrew143
    I stopped and uninstalled all mining programs now anyway.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    NEVER use a laptop, esp a gamer laptop, for mining. They are not worth the costs in terms of laptop costs and power costs.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045