Is it normal?

Ney10
Ney10 Member Posts: 103 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Is it normal to have 91-95C temperature on both gpu and cpu while playing games?
Edit: I'm using helios 300 i5 gtx1060

Best Answer

• M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    I have no idea, i use arctic mx4 but i think i can assume its definetly better than acer stock paste.
    If you have already repasted your laptop (and did it properly) then this temps are definetly too high.
    Try undervolting and using cooling pad and maybe do a clean install of windows.
    If this doesnt help then i have no idea what to do, you can either return it or accept it lol

While cpu and gpu can get hot, they usually reach those temps only in benchmarks.

Answers

• M4rdock
    Ney10 said:
    Is it normal to have 91-95C temperature on both gpu and cpu while playing games?
    From what i gathered, these are "normal" temperatures for H300 units and many people have this problem.
    But this temperature is definetly unhealthy and will reduce performance of your laptop.
    You have 3 options -
    1. Buy good cooling pad, it can reduce temperature by 5-10C.
    2. Repaste it - best option, can reduce temp even up to 20C.
    Link - https://youtu.be/Ph2ibK79zd8
    3. In worst case scenario you can undervolt your cpu. 
  • Ney10
    M4rdock said:
    Ney10 said:
    From what i gathered, these are "normal" temperatures for H300 units and many people have this problem.
    But this temperature is definetly unhealthy and will reduce performance of your laptop.
    You have 3 options -
    1. Buy good cooling pad, it can reduce temperature by 5-10C.
    2. Repaste it - best option, can reduce temp even up to 20C.
    Link - https://youtu.be/Ph2ibK79zd8
    3. In worst case scenario you can undervolt your cpu. 
    I already repasted the my cpu and gpu. This is my thermal paste https://www.amazon.in/Cooler-Master-Thermal-MasterGel-MGY-OSSG-N15M-R1/dp/B01JME9ASC .
    Is it good enough?
  • M4rdock
    Answer ✓
    I have no idea, i use arctic mx4 but i think i can assume its definetly better than acer stock paste.
    If you have already repasted your laptop (and did it properly) then this temps are definetly too high.
    If this doesnt help then i have no idea what to do, you can either return it or accept it lol

While cpu and gpu can get hot, they usually reach those temps only in benchmarks.
  • Ney10
    M4rdock said:

Thanks a lot for helping!
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Ney10 said:
    Mine is a G3-572 (i7 and 1060).

It used to go to 90 while playing most AAA games on ultra.
    What I did was:
    1. Use throttle stop, and set voltages a little lower - 0.125 to be exact.
    2. Lifted the laptop height by about 0.75-1 inch using felt pads under feet (could have been corrected by designing air intake to the sides of laptop than underside).
    3. Sometimes use a USB fan directed to area above the F1-F-12 keys, when playing high load for long duration.

This got the temps down by about 10-15 degrees.

Now my "normal load" (browsing, movies, videos, normal day to day work) temps are around 40-50C, and gaming temps are around 60-75, spikes to 80-85. And this is pretty reasonable.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Ney10
    sri369 said:
    Ney10 said:
    Mine is a G3-572 (i7 and 1060).

It used to go to 90 while playing most AAA games on ultra.
    What I did was:
    1. Use throttle stop, and set voltages a little lower - 0.125 to be exact.
    2. Lifted the laptop height by about 0.75-1 inch using felt pads under feet (could have been corrected by designing air intake to the sides of laptop than underside).
    3. Sometimes use a USB fan directed to area above the F1-F-12 keys, when playing high load for long duration.

This got the temps down by about 10-15 degrees.

Now my "normal load" (browsing, movies, videos, normal day to day work) temps are around 40-50C, and gaming temps are around 60-75, spikes to 80-85. And this is pretty reasonable.
    I already tried repasting and undervolting. I still get 95C :( I'm playing dota 2 at max settings and I get 60-90fps only with 95C temperature. Can reformating my laptop help?
  • Ney10
    UPDATE: I think it's my GPU that's causing this overheating. I did a stress test on my cpu and it's on 58-62C only. Any tips?
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    @Ney10
    GPU...
    Witcher 3 on ultra: with nividia hairworks turned on GPU was at a constant 95% plus. With hairworks turned off, it got down to 70%.

Try scaling down things you do not use nor notice much... also keep in mind, this is a laptop so we cannot push it to limits like we do on desktops.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • M4rdock
    Ney10 said:
    UPDATE: I think it's my GPU that's causing this overheating. I did a stress test on my cpu and it's on 58-62C only. Any tips?
    If your gpu is overheating in games like dota and you did clean install of windows 10 with newest drivers i would consider sending it to repair.
    Especially since its usually intel cpu's that get MUCH hotter than gpu's.

Also good idea is to try w3 as sri said, but when i was playing witcher 3 on my laptop with 1060 it was still cpu that was considerably hotter.

• Ney10
    M4rdock said:
    Ney10 said:
    If your gpu is overheating in games like dota and you did clean install of windows 10 with newest drivers i would consider sending it to repair.
    Especially since its usually intel cpu's that get MUCH hotter than gpu's.

Also good idea is to try w3 as sri said, but when i was playing witcher 3 on my laptop with 1060 it was still cpu that was considerably hotter.

I used XTU to stress test my CPU and it was only 58-62C. When I play games like dota 2 and PUBG, I'm getting 93-95C temperature both CPU and GPU. It's so sad that I have this issue. :(