Problem: There was a problem resetting your p.c, no changes were made

JayLee
JayLee Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
Hi all,

My system is Acer Aspire TC-220

I have just installed a: PSU: Corsair VS450 450 Watt Fully Wired 80+ White PSU/Power Supply
I have just installed a: GPU: Palit NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB STORMX Graphics Card

On my p.c and have had no problems at all.

The problem has started when i removed my old HDD and replaced it with a : SSD: WD Green 240GB 2.5" SATA 3D NAND SSD/Solid State Drive

Things i done:

• Acer Care Center Recovery Management and done "Create Factory Default Backup" on a USB
  • Shut down p.c and removed old HDD and replaced it with the SSD
  • Plugged in Create Factory Default Backup USB into p.c
  • Booted up p.c and then pressed F12 which showed my USB

Went and done a fresh install but when it gets to about 72% it stops and the screen changes and says "There was a problem resetting your p.c, no changes were made "

Tried about 4-5 times and still the same, come 72% and it fails again.

I have had to put my old HDD back in until i can get a workaround.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

All the best

Jay

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    JayLee 

I recommend you to try migrating your original hard drive( whole disk) using migrate feature in Minitool Partition wizard, I found it very useful program. 
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html

One last thing to add, after finishing the migration, unplugged the HDD and set the boot priority of the SSD to the top. After reboot, the SSD has become the system disk, C:\   Then plug back your HDD and it can be used as the data storage, and  keep the original windows in the HDD for recovery purpose.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Yeah, I think the restore process is going to try and make everything the same size as you started with, so if the original drive was larger than 240GB it will likely run into issues before it's written everything to the new drive. Much better to do an SSD migration, with tools like the one Sharanji recommends or one of the many others. WD may have a tool for migration too...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JayLee

Tinkerer

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply, fixed it:)

Used windows creation tool and then used rufus onto USB, booted it up and it picked up the USB and went straight to windows fresh install, p.c feels really fast with the new upgrades and no bloatware, only used 26gb out of the SSD 256gb, just need to install world of warcraft which is about 46gb so will be left with plenty more storage which i won't use as i don't use it for anything else, i am putting all my photos etc on a external USB storage so my wife can also use it.

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Jay
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Double check you have all drivers by firing up Device Manager and looking for anything it complains about. Other than that you should be good to go.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JayLee

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Double check you have all drivers by firing up Device Manager and looking for anything it complains about. Other than that you should be good to go.

Was the first thing i done and all is good:)