Aspire Laptop E5-573G-380S blank screen after Acer Logo

bobarun
bobarun Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello All
My laptop crashed after I closed down the lid and reopened it after a few minutes. It went to automatic repair loop for hours. After repeated shut down and power on it goes into blank display after "preparing automatic repair" screen. I tried a lot of troubleshooting tips from forums and youtube videos but didn't succeed. I can go into BIOS screen but not to any other mode of interaction (no safe mode, no alt f10, no USB boot)
System Details:
Out of warranty, Windows 10, 4GM RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GEforce 920M, I3 
Troubleshooting Efforts I tried:
1. Connected to TV monitor through HDMI and tried shifting display with windows key + P and Fn key + F5. It didn't work, so disabled laptop screen manually and then display pops up on TV. But stays blank after Acer logo with automatic repair screen
2. Alt + F10 takes me to blank screen again after "Acer logo with Please wait" screen
3. Tried reinstalling windows 10 from USB installation media. Again I get the black screen after windows logo.
4. Tried booting from windows installed an external drive
5. Unplug, battery reset, manual battery disabling, power down for 30 secs: didn't work either. 
6. Reseated RAM, Hard drive, Fan, WIFI adapter, Display Screen.
I assume it is something to do with my graphics card(integrated or dedicated NVDIA). Is there any way to enable/disable/update drivers without windows?

Can somebody pour in your possible solution and thoughts that could help me find out the root cause?
I want to have the service center as my last resort.
Regards

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓
    For me personally, I would throw that hard drive away and get a new hard drive.  I don't fully trust your HDD.  I think it's failing.....on the blink.  But it's up to you if you want to try to keep using it.

If you're going to keep using it, put it back in to that enclosure/casing and connect it to other computer and wipe it clean.  On your other computer, open an admin command prompt and wipe it with diskpart clean..

from an admin command prompt, type

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x    (x=your troublesome HDD)  Be extremely careful !!!!!!
    clean
    exit
    exit

Important Note:  Be extremely careful when using diskpart clean.  Please don't select the wrong disk number as that would be really, really bad if you accidentally wipe the wrong disk.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB
    edited July 2018
    @bobarun

Hello,

It sounds like your HDD/OS is corrupt or in a worst case your HDD might be failing.

Did you create a USB using the Microsoft media creation tool?  There could be something wrong with your Windows 10 USB drive too.

1.  On a different computer, create a new Windows 10 USB drive using the media creation tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2, Go in to your BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu and then save/exit

3.  Boot your Windows 10 USB by tapping the F12 key at the Acer post/boot logo

4.  Use Notepad to backup any important personal files.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/rescue-files-when-windows-wont-start/862c143f-9239-4e63-8968-635e8ba9efd6

https://appuals.com/how-to-backup-files-from-command-prompt/

5.  After you backup your important personal files, then boot your Windows 10 USB again and select Install and then Custom Install. Delete all of yourHDD partitions (this will completely wipe your HDD) and then click "Next" and the Windows installer will automatically partition and automatically format your HDD and will automatically install Windows 10

6. Here's another good link

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/troubleshooting-windows-8-and-10-failure-to-start/bcf8503c-1b39-4827-9734-a64fef725d0f

7.  You can also order your original recovery media from Acer if you prefer to go  back to factory condition

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

Edit:  If you temporarily remove your HDD, I suspect you'll be able to boot your USB drive.  If that's the case, you probably just need a new HDD.

• bobarun

Tinkerer

@JordanB: Thank you for replying!
    Regarding the USB installation disk, yes I used windows media creation tool from the Microsoft website to download the ISO image and then used PowerISO to make it bootable. (Also tried with ISOtoUSB tool). Earlier I removed HDD and used HDD casing to secure all my files. 
    To add on, earlier when I tried to boot from the legacy option, I got this PXE media test failure, no bootable disk error. Changing back to UEFI goes into the Acer logo screen and blacks out. I am not sure if it helps you in getting more clarity on the problem, just thought of sharing. 
  • JordanB
    edited July 2018
    Hey,

Yes I understand the problem. 

1.  Create a USB drive with rufus.  Download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft. Use the rufus settings GPT, UEFI (non-CSM), FAT32

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Physically remove your HDD from your computer.  (Remove your boot drive)

3.  Go in to your BIOS settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10).

4.  Turn off your computer

5. Insert the Windows 10 USB drive in to a USB port.

6.  Turn on your computer

7.  Does the Windows 10 USB boot?  It should boot.
  • bobarun

Tinkerer

@JordanB:
    Yes it boots. I could see the windows installation keyboard layout options now. Should I go ahead with the installation? But I wonder where would the installation occurs as I have removed the HDD and the USB i have is just 16GB.
  • JordanB
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓
    For me personally, I would throw that hard drive away and get a new hard drive.  I don't fully trust your HDD.  I think it's failing.....on the blink.  But it's up to you if you want to try to keep using it.

If you're going to keep using it, put it back in to that enclosure/casing and connect it to other computer and wipe it clean.  On your other computer, open an admin command prompt and wipe it with diskpart clean..

from an admin command prompt, type

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x    (x=your troublesome HDD)  Be extremely careful !!!!!!
    clean
    exit
    exit

Important Note:  Be extremely careful when using diskpart clean.  Please don't select the wrong disk number as that would be really, really bad if you accidentally wipe the wrong disk.

• You also can not fail to convert hd to gpt! To do this, press the shift + 10 keys and then type diskpart, list disk, sel disk x, clean, convert gpt and then exit cmd!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JordanB
    @egydiocoelho

If it was necessary for him to use the convert GPT command, then I would have wrote it.  I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing when it comes to Acer UEFI, HDDs and Windows 10.  Thanks anyway though.
  • When the user types the clean command, it also deletes the mbr or gpt file system! That's why I said that HD also has to be converted to gpt!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JordanB
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know what the clean command does.  Please stop already.  The original poster has his UEFI settings at default.  The default settings will only allow EFI booting and only allow GPT partiton style when installing windows.  You're starting to irritate me.
  • I know that uefi mode only accepts the gpt (64 bit) file system! However, I just completed the command you indicated, because when you type the clean command, hd is no longer in the gpt system! So it must be converted before continuing with the installation of windows 10! Sorry for my English because I'm translating for google translate!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JordanB
    edited July 2018
    @egydiocoelho

Instead of posting things that aren't true and irritating me, why don't you wipe your HDD with diskpart clean......which will leave it in an uninitialized state (neither MBR or GPT).  Just use the clean command.  Now install Windows.  The Windows installer will automatically convert it to GPT.  There's nothing the user needs to do.  And then come back here and edit/delete your posts.  Thanks.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited July 2018
    I will show you through a photo that the gpt file system is deleted by typing the clean command in hd!
    But I'm not here to irritate you! I just completed your tip!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JordanB
    I'm not disputing the fact that the GPT or MBR partition scheme will be removed.
    Like I told you before, if it was necessary for him to use the convert GPT command, then I would have given it to him.   When the disk is uninitialized (neither MBR or GPT), the Windows installer will automatically convert the disk to GPT when you click "Next" to install Windows.

You should try wiping your HDD with diskpart clean.  But don't use the convert GPT command.  Now use your Acer USB recovery drive.  The Acer USB recovery drive will also automatically convert the HDD to GPT.  Both the vanilla Windows 10 installer and your Acer USB recovery drive will automatically convert an uninitialized  HDD to GPT.

You should try it yourself and then come back and delete your posts.

• Now I understand what you mean However, only as a complement, if the system is in mbr (legacy) and the user switches to uefi mode, it must convert to gpt!
    However there is no need to delete any post as it was just a complement!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JordanB
    I've helped hundreds of people get unstuck from legacy mode when switching back to UEFI on this forum.  I fully understand the issue.

And you're telling me what must be done?  Seriously?

When you use rufus to create your USB drive with settings GPT, UEFI (non CSM), FAT32, rufus automatically strips the legacy boot files from the iso.  So it's impossible to boot the USB as legacy.....and you don't need the convert GPT command.  You just need the clean command.

You can also boot the Windows 10 USB that you create with the media creation tool, then wipe the drive with diskpart clean, and then power cycle the computer......and you don't need the convert GPT command.

Dude, you should spend more time reading my posts and experimenting......instead of telling me what "must" be done.

You picked the wrong person to be telling what must be done when it comes to this issue.

Instead of telling me what must be done, you should go back and read my posts in this thread and you might learn something.

• Dear @JordanB I also know how to install windows both in legacy mode and UEFI mode! At no point did I mean what you should do! Just like you, I also help users install windows both in legacy mode and uefi mode! Just read with a little bit of the post I wrote that you will understand that I just supplemented your answer! No need to get stressed with just one post!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bobarun

Tinkerer

Thank you JordanB and egydiocoelho for helping!
    Time for a new HDD :(
  • Choose to buy a solid state disk of 2.5 "sata III instead of hd! Ssd is far superior in terms of performance!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bobarun

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho:
    Thanks! I have plans to buy Desktop in 2-3 months, so reserving budget for SSD will be a problem this time as I need more storage capacity. However I am going through dual drive options also!