Acer Nitro 5 An515-42 release date

Answers

• Jimster480
    Jimster480 Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon
    dclanz said:
    Sweet! Ran any games yet?
    Going to test some games tonight.
    However:
    https://leaguecheats.com/threads/acer-nitro5-ryzen-5-2500u-prelim-review.12913/

Check my thread here, I am uploading all the info of all the tests I am doing.
    Actual gaming is the only thing I've yet to test xD

• Red_Sun
    Red_Sun Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Gearing up for real world testing. Runs VERY cool. Asthetics extremely pleasing to eye. Spent first 3 hours disabling all (well, what I could find so far) of Win10's invasive reporting, especially Cortana. NOT impressed with win10 at all. No group policy editor. May upgrade to Pro. Going to give Black Ops III a go here shortly. IPS display very nice.
  • Red_Sun
    dclanz said:
    However:

Nice work !
  • dclanz
    dclanz Member Posts: 112 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Excellent stuff guys! Keep it coming!
    If a post helps or answers your question, be sure to hit the like button so the poster knows they were helpful.
    Try using the search function before posting, as your question may have been asked and resolved before.
    Be sure to check out my Acer An515-42 Clean Install Guide.
  • Jimster480
    Red_Sun said:
    dclanz said:
    However:

Nice work !
    Thanks!
    I tried HoTS last night 57-90fps, Overwatch 69fps stable both 1080p high.
  • dclanz
    Pretty bummed, I'd love to order this...I see it available on eBay (from Best Buy as well) but I need to live in the US to do so: "To pay using PayPal, direct debit, or credit card, you must live in the same country as the seller. Please select a different payment method.". Can't use Paypal or my credit card. It'll be shipped to a US address so I really don't see the problem. /shrug
    If a post helps or answers your question, be sure to hit the like button so the poster knows they were helpful.
    Try using the search function before posting, as your question may have been asked and resolved before.
  • Red_Sun
    Got almost identical passmark scores to jimster. Thought the 2D/3D/memory would have turned out a bit stronger. Will be exploring memory upgrade very soon.

• Red_Sun
    Red_Sun said:
    dclanz said:
    However:

Nice work !
    Thanks!
    I tried HoTS last night 57-90fps, Overwatch 69fps stable both 1080p high.
    What kind of tweaks did you implement to maximize performance?
  • Red_Sun
    I ask because I just ran a couple of older games (Doom 3, Blacklight), and both seem sluggish to run. Power profile on performance, switched to rade  on RX instead of vega graphics.
  • Red_Sun
    *mods, sry if this is starting to sound like it belongs in the troubleshooting forum*

Once thing I noticed upon unboxing this unit: The updates to Win10 were painfully slow. Downloading, installation, and the config after restart. But I plowed through them. Then started to notice just general usage - opening settings, browsers, etc... was showing a lot of lag. Trivial task like opening the taskbar took several seconds. The above mentioned games, which I'm pretty sure my Texas Instrument Calculator from 1984 can run, were REALLY choppy. Even made sure the RX560 was running it. No change. Deleted as much bloatware as I could, norton, one drive, etc...,  Checked battery saver Vs. performance settings. Nothing. Did a OS re-install in the settings. This deleted more pre-loaded apps. Now, where it gets weird is some programs still appeared intact under the start menu, but completely gone under the classic control panel>programs and features. Well, ok then. Didn't get too excited. Ran the AMD cleanup tool on a whim. It appears to have deleted the radeon driver. Guess what? Everything was running snappy as can be again.

Conclusion, something was fouled up with the Radeon driver causing they painful GUI issues. Safe mode>driver sweeper>re-installed radeon from Acer site and testing as we speak.

One note, I *may* have disabled cortana via regedit upon initial unboxing. Could that have been a part? Who knows. Strongly considering get the Group Policy Editor activated one way or another.

Any, really hoping this was a SW, not a HW thing. Will be running memtest here in a bit JIC.

Doom 3, BFG edition round II...

• dclanz
    Red_Sun said:

Conclusion, something was fouled up with the Radeon driver causing they painful GUI issues. Safe mode>driver sweeper>re-installed radeon from Acer site and testing as we speak. 
    Interesting, I'll have to check it out when mine arrives in a week or two.
  • Red_Sun
    edited July 2018
    Things *seem* to improve a bit upon reboot, so running memtest right now. I even placed internet
     connection on metered to control interfering win10 updates from arbitrarily slowing things down.

This is a real bummer. I am ordering a replacment so at the very least will know it's more like SW than HW should the 2nd one misbehave.

Not giving in yet!

• Jimster480
    Red_Sun said:
    I ask because I just ran a couple of older games (Doom 3, Blacklight), and both seem sluggish to run. Power profile on performance, switched to rade  on RX instead of vega graphics.
    You need to go into the Radeon Crimson software and set some games to "high performance". For example HoTS was on the IGP at first and was getting 25-45fps.
    Also disable GameDVR if you haven't, I just got around to doing it today.

I have another stick of ram on the way so I will retest after my new ram arrives. I also ran shutup10 last night and took out most of the logging stuff, so I will do more testing to see if it improves performance at all.
    dclanz said:
    Pretty bummed, I'd love to order this...I see it available on eBay (from Best Buy as well) but I need to live in the US to do so: "To pay using PayPal, direct debit, or credit card, you must live in the same country as the seller. Please select a different payment method.". Can't use Paypal or my credit card. It'll be shipped to a US address so I really don't see the problem. /shrug
    Why are you trying to order it from another country? Possibly I can help you out to get one if you need international shipping, I've done it tons of times for friends and people I work with around the world.
  • Red_Sun
    Red_Sun said:
    You need to go into the Radeon Crimson software and set some games to "high performance". For example HoTS was on the IGP at first and was getting 25-45fps.
    Tried both. Game was running 60 FPS upon load. Dropped to around 17 after several minutes of play. And this is on low settings. *sigh*
    Ran memtest all night. No errors. Ran OCCT today. GPU seemingly passed. Again, it seemed odd everything ran snappy when the Radeon driver was gone. Seems like there is a conflict somewhere, or a problem with the discrete GPU.

What model RAM did you get? Was also looking at newegg last night for the same thing.
  • dclanz
    Why are you trying to order it from another country? Possibly I can help you out to get one if you need international shipping, I've done it tons of times for friends and people I work with around the world.
     Because I live in another country lol. Thanks but I got through with Best Buy and it's on the way! :)

• Jimster480
    So for some
    Red_Sun said:
    Red_Sun said:
    Tried both. Game was running 60 FPS upon load. Dropped to around 17 after several minutes of play. And this is on low settings. *sigh*
    Ran memtest all night. No errors. Ran OCCT today. GPU seemingly passed. Again, it seemed odd everything ran snappy when the Radeon driver was gone. Seems like there is a conflict somewhere, or a problem with the discrete GPU.

What model RAM did you get? Was also looking at newegg last night for the same thing.
    I got the Crucial Ballistix 2666mhz, if you search this on Newegg then you will find the one I bought. Its got a grey heat spreader.
    Was on sale for $85 so, I'll test again later today after it arrives.

I got 45-75FPs in CSGO 1080p (Single core) but I am pretty sure that the IGP was running and not the 560X because my RX460 HTPC gets more than double that fps and can get 100fps in 4k lol
    When I had multicore on it peaked at 120fps but honestly the fans never came on and the laptop didn't really heat up, so I think like I said that its running on the IGP since the fans kick on really fast when the 560X is running.
    I will test it again maybe tonight.

• Red_Sun

I got the Crucial Ballistix 2666mhz, if you search this on Newegg then you will find the one I bought. Its got a grey heat spreader.

I got 45-75FPs in CSGO 1080p (Single core) but I am pretty sure that the IGP was running and not the 560X because my RX460 HTPC gets more than double that fps and can get 100fps in 4k lol
    When I had multicore on it peaked at 120fps but honestly the fans never came on and the laptop didn't really heat up, so I think like I said that its running on the IGP since the fans kick on really fast when the 560X is running.

Nice! A little extra ram never hurts.

Yeah something definitely not right with mine. I already tried the OS re-installation option. Probably going to get a copy of Win10 Pro and do a complete reformat and install once I swap out these units. At very least will come with group policy editor and can disable a few things (cortana) without having to screw around with the registry as much.

• Jimster480
    Red_Sun said:

Nice! A little extra ram never hurts.

Yeah something definitely not right with mine. I already tried the OS re-installation option. Probably going to get a copy of Win10 Pro and do a complete reformat and install once I swap out these units. At very least will come with group policy editor and can disable a few things (cortana) without having to screw around with the registry as much.

Have you tried "shutup10"?
  • Red_Sun
    edited July 2018
    No. But I like what I'm reading about it.

Also, randomly found this thread addressing an issue with the ryzen CPU being locked, and a fix. Thought I'd share...

I see there is a new BIOS available. Did you give it a go?
  • Jimster480
    Red_Sun said:
    No. But I like what I'm reading about it.

Also, randomly found this thread addressing an issue with the ryzen CPU being locked, and a fix. Thought I'd share...

I see there is a new BIOS available. Did you give it a go?
    Where is the BIOS ? I'll install it and give it a go. I just put in my new ram but I haven't used the laptop after that.