Travelmate B117-MP Added an SSD but I can't get it to boot from it.

mvperry351
mvperry351 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I cloned the drive using Macrium Reflect to the SSD drive but I don't see a way to point to this drive as the boot. I'd appreciate assistance. Thanks - Mark

Comments

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,433 Trailblazer
    Can you access the BIOS to check if the SSD is recognized and described in the Info tab? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mvperry351

Tinkerer

Yes, it is recognized. It also shows up as Drive D. I turned UEFI off to see if that would help but so far the onboard disk runs the show...I'd appreciate a point elsewhere..
  • JackE
    Turn UEFI back on. Save and exit. Reboot back into the BIOS menu. Does Window boot manager and the SSD appear in the Boot tab boot order? If yes, try re-arranging the boot order.  If not, disable secure boot --- you may have to set a BIOS supervisor password. Don't forget it. Exit. Reboot back into the BIOS menu with the password and disable secure boot. Can you change the boot order now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mvperry351

Tinkerer

Here's screenshots.

• mvperry351

Tinkerer

Well, you gotta love it. It now won't power up. I verified the power adapter has the correct output but this device is not booting. It's not the screen as there is no output to HDMI. I will have to contact Acer.
  • JackE
    Any LED light activity to indicate it might be trying to boot? Have you tried to turn the LCD or TV on with the FN+F6 or FN+F5 toggle key combos? If completely dead, it might be something simple like a connector came loose or needs reseating. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mvperry351

Tinkerer

Thanks Jack, I will return to this after Acer sends it back. There was no light at all and the power went out as I was sitting there with it on, untouched. I tried the function keys in case Icould output to the hdmi monitor but it's dead.
    I will pick this up again probably in 2 or 3 weeks. I appreciate your input!
    Mark
  • mvperry351

Tinkerer

Jack, I got it back but still no luck setting setting the boot as the new SSD. I can put the old SSD as the last boot priortiy but no difference. Mark
  • JackE
    What happens when you disconnect the old drive? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mvperry351

Tinkerer

I thought it was built into the motherboard

• mvperry351

Tinkerer

I pulled it apart to the point of pulling the battery but I don't see a separate SSD
  • JackE
    Sorry. This model was also shipped and configured with both an m2 SSD and/or a 2.5" HDD/SSD options as well as the eMMC SSD (bulit-in). If your model only came equipped with a 32GB eMMC, your larger drive was probably not clone properly. I don't use Macrium but you might have to shrink the larger drive to 32GB and leave the rest of its space unallocated if Macrium doesn't automatically do this. Because a cloned drive should also only be 32GB, the same as the smaller drive. Then clone the smaller 32GB drive onto the larger drive 32 GB allocated partition and reclaim its unallocated space later again if Macrium doesn't do this automatically. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• smnnkd
    smnnkd Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi. I have the eMMC version and would like to reset OS, but cannot figure out how to do so. I realize getting a larger SSD isn't an option. Here are my model specifics. Any suggestions?
  • JackE
    You should be able to reset the machine using the ALT+F10 cold boot method as shown below if it still has the original Windows version but you may also need to insert an NTFS formatted SD card for temporary extra file space needed to complete the installation. You can also add a bigger drive either as a boot drive or extra storage space later but will require some disassembly and/or cloning software to do this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CrazyGada
    CrazyGada Member Posts: 1 New User
    I cloned the drive using Macrium Reflect to the SSD drive but I don't see a way to point to this drive as the boot. I'd appreciate assistance. Thanks - Mark
    I have the same issue with my Acer Travelmate B117-M 
    2GB RAM
    Celeron CPU
    32GB emmc
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    @CrazyGada you should start you own thread for this, include a screen shot of Disk Management so we can see how the partitions are setup after the clone.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.