FAQ - CPU, GPU, Temps, FPS, Settings, & Other Info

Answers

• Rz777
    Rz777 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    edited June 2018
    Just solved the problem with fps drops in CS GO: disabling multicore rendering. It also dropped cpu and gpu usage, lowering the temps. Didn't expect that...
    But the problems with AC Origins became much worse. I'm still experiencing those huge fps drops from time to time, and after 10 minutes of gameplay, the game closes. Did some changes in graphics settings, but it was useless. During a final try I was monitoring with xtu what is happening and seems like I get "power limit throttling" while gaming and no thermal throttling, cpu core voltage and frequency drop bellow the idle values. For example if the laptop is plugged it, the core frequency varies between 3.8 and 4.08 (which is almost max), but while gaming it varies between 2.19 and 3.86 which makes no sense. If the laptop is on battery power, the frequencies are much lower: 0.8 to 2.2.

Ps: just ordered a 240gb ssd nvme, it's gonna be real fun moving win 10 on it
  • Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    In my personal experience, i found that you see power throttling if you undervolt too much. I tested -160 once, and although it seemed stable i noticed some power throttling, and after a while gaming a full system crash.

Can't say if that' your case too, but this is what happened to mee and how my cpu behaved: too much undervolt ---> power throttling ---> crash
  • Rz777
    Skree said:
    In my personal experience, i found that you see power throttling if you undervolt too much. I tested -160 once, and although it seemed stable i noticed some power throttling, and after a while gaming a full system crash.

Can't say if that' your case too, but this is what happened to mee and how my cpu behaved: too much undervolt ---> power throttling ---> crash
    Understandable, but I didn't undervolt the Cpu this time. I will next time though.
  • Rz777
    Skree said:

OK so I did undervolted the cpu and cache by 0.100v and got no fps drops in AC Origins (Thanks God), but the crashed with no error message after 40 minutes. Also as a benefit of undercvolting, I got no power limit throttling, while monitoring with xtu.
  • Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    If i am not mistaken in reading your posts, the crashes happen since you disabled multicore rendering.

Also, reading your latest post, it seems like the fps drops in origins were tied to power throttling, more than to multicore rendering (even if CS:GO was "fixed" by that setting).

If my understanding is correct, i would advise you to try keeping the undervolting active (if you are using XTU check at each boot of your computer if it is still undervolting, XTU resets your settings when he wants) and enable again multicore rendering, then test assassin creed, what i hope is that you won't experience fps drops and you won't also get a reboot.

I am sorry that i and many others are simply telling you to "test this" and "test that"... but there is really no other way to try and pinpoint a solution. I hope this works, of course.
  • Rz777
    Skree said:
    If i am not mistaken in reading your posts, the crashes happen since you disabled multicore rendering.

Also, reading your latest post, it seems like the fps drops in origins were tied to power throttling, more than to multicore rendering (even if CS:GO was "fixed" by that setting).

If my understanding is correct, i would advise you to try keeping the undervolting active (if you are using XTU check at each boot of your computer if it is still undervolting, XTU resets your settings when he wants) and enable again multicore rendering, then test assassin creed, what i hope is that you won't experience fps drops and you won't also get a reboot.

I am sorry that i and many others are simply telling you to "test this" and "test that"... but there is really no other way to try and pinpoint a solution. I hope this works, of course.
    I like to play with it, anyways it's not your job to optimise everyone's computer, we're just discussing here.

I can see that you missunderstood something. Multicore rendering is a setting available IN cs go (it's not in nvidia control pannel, or is it?) And disabling it led to no more fps drops. So AC Origins was not affected, by changing cs go settings.... I don't remember changing anything else before crashes started happening.

Just saw a grammatical mistake in my second to last post...sorry. In my previous post I said that i played ac origins with undervolting and didn't experience fps drops anymore, but the game still crashed at some point.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Rz777 said:
    Skree said:

I like to play with it, anyways it's not your job to optimise everyone's computer, we're just discussing here.

I can see that you missunderstood something. Multicore rendering is a setting available IN cs go (it's not in nvidia control pannel, or is it?) And disabling it led to no more fps drops. So AC Origins was not affected, by changing cs go settings.... I don't remember changing anything else before crashes started happening.

Just saw a grammatical mistake in my second to last post...sorry. In my previous post I said that i played ac origins with undervolting and didn't experience fps drops anymore, but the game still crashed at some point.
    Have you considered Throttlestop as an alternative to XTU? 
    I found it gives an additional 10 C drop in temperature and improves benchmark/gaming performance due to optimization of speed step. (speed shift eep)

I'd like to add that your most likely getting those random FPS drops due to temperatures alone. 
    As your Power Limit 2 timer runs out it begins PL1 which is of lesser value therefore reducing operating speeds to accomodate the lesser power at such high temperatures.

Additionally, undervolting isn't a fix all for a computer who's temperatures are reaching throttle points. 
    Optimizing your windows is just as important as any other tweak you may try. 

Try this guide to assist with lowering temperatures and report back. 

https://youtu.be/XTPMwQKlfPE
    - Hotel Hero
  • Rz777
    I will not be able to play with undervolting and other stuff until tuesday because i have to get some stuff done.
    Until then, I told you that i ordered an m.2 ssd, but i changed my mind and now I want to order a faster and bigger one. The problem is that I don't know what is the voltage output on the m.2 slot. Is there anyway I can find that out?
    Thanks
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Rz777 said:
    I will not be able to play with undervolting and other stuff until tuesday because i have to get some stuff done.
    Until then, I told you that i ordered an m.2 ssd, but i changed my mind and now I want to order a faster and bigger one. The problem is that I don't know what is the voltage output on the m.2 slot. Is there anyway I can find that out?
    Thanks
    The M.2 that is used is a 3.3v.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,581 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I don't have any "restore" tab in Acer Care Centre's Recovery Management section. Please help me.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,581 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Rz777 said:
    Just solved the problem with fps drops in CS GO: disabling multicore rendering. It also dropped cpu and gpu usage, lowering the temps. Didn't expect that...
    But the problems with AC Origins became much worse. I'm still experiencing those huge fps drops from time to time, and after 10 minutes of gameplay, the game closes. Did some changes in graphics settings, but it was useless. During a final try I was monitoring with xtu what is happening and seems like I get "power limit throttling" while gaming and no thermal throttling, cpu core voltage and frequency drop bellow the idle values. For example if the laptop is plugged it, the core frequency varies between 3.8 and 4.08 (which is almost max), but while gaming it varies between 2.19 and 3.86 which makes no sense. If the laptop is on battery power, the frequencies are much lower: 0.8 to 2.2.

Ps: just ordered a 240gb ssd nvme, it's gonna be real fun moving win 10 on it
    Same here but after updating to April Update. Prior to updating, I used the Undervolting guide by Opoka Opoka and FPS in AC Origins were better and stable. But after updating, even if I enable/disable Undervolt, the game crashes after 20 minutes.  

Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • Rz777
    XdxD said:
    Same here but after updating to April Update. Prior to updating, I used the Undervolting guide by Opoka Opoka and FPS in AC Origins were better and stable. But after updating, even if I enable/disable Undervolt, the game crashes after 20 minutes.  

Same here, game crashes after 20 mins or so, but I didn't have time to play with undervolting or windows 10 optimizations. I'll come back next week with updates.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    Try installing Acers Realtek driver.
    Windows auto updated driver has issues with coming out of sleep-state. (Crash)

Also I had to install all the Intel drivers from Acers website after that windows update as it auto updated all of them when it shouldnt have.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Nits95
    Nits95 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hi,  I have the same overheating issues with my Predator Helios 300 17inch model with 1060 and 128GB ssd. I usually get 90c and above temperatures whenever I play Ghost Recon Wildlands. I did all the throttlestop undervolting steps as shown in the video guide and also updated my bios to 1.13. Yet whenever i start the game, my pc crashes and the blue screen appears with  WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE error. And the temperature doesnt seem to have gone down either. My laptop idles at 45-50 which is still way too high. It used to run fine for the first few months. Please help.
  • Rz777
    Update the bios to 1.15! The update is on the website.
    Mine idles at 40-42 with cooling pad on battery and at 49-52 while charging. CPU and GPU frequencies increase while the laptop is charging, causing it to run hotter. Consoder buying a good cooling pad, or at least don't keep the laptop directly on the desk, put something behind it to keep it elevated a higher anlge.
  • Nits95

Tinkerer

Rz777 said:
    Update the bios to 1.15! The update is on the website.
    Mine idles at 40-42 with cooling pad on battery and at 49-52 while charging. CPU and GPU frequencies increase while the laptop is charging, causing it to run hotter. Consoder buying a good cooling pad, or at least don't keep the laptop directly on the desk, put something behind it to keep it elevated a higher anlge.                                      

Wait a min i had 1.15 version bios before but when I tried to update it said 1.13 is the newer version? Also i do have a cooling pad but i dont play on desk, usually on my lap or knees. (i know its unhealthy). But that doesnt justify 90degree celcius temp for high end games right?
  • Rz777
    Nits95 said:                                   
    Wait a min i had 1.15 version bios before but when I tried to update it said 1.13 is the newer version? Also i do have a cooling pad but i dont play on desk, usually on my lap or knees. (i know its unhealthy). But that doesnt justify 90degree celcius temp for high end games right?
    Well, it does. Cooling systems on laptops are not as efficient as cooling in PCs. Just think about the Mount of empty space in a PC compared to a laptop.
    Also try lowering Anti Aliasing, this uses a lot the CPU. Also try reading the whole thread, there are lots of useful information.
  • Nits95

Tinkerer

Rz777 said:
    Nits95 said:                                   
    Well, it does. Cooling systems on laptops are not as efficient as cooling in PCs. Just think about the Mount of empty space in a PC compared to a laptop.
    Also try lowering Anti Aliasing, this uses a lot the CPU. Also try reading the whole thread, there are lots of useful information.

Yes I did go through this thread. But thank you for your response.
  • Rz777
    edited June 2018
    Nits95 said:.

There is one thing though. The error you're getting seem to be caused by the CPU shutting down your laptop, which i'm sure you already found out from google.

Reverse everything you did in throttle stop and see if it happeds again. You might be forced to delete the config file the program created to store your modifications but i'm not very sure about that. Maybe you undervolted the cpu to much or just did a mistake when you played with throttle stop.

Also doublecheck bios version and update it again to 1.15. I had to update it twice since windows 10 downloaded the 1.12 version and applied it over 1.15 for some reason...
  • Nits95

Tinkerer

Rz777 said:
    Nits95 said:.

There is one thing though. The error you're getting seem to be caused by the CPU shutting down your laptop, which i'm sure you already found out from google.

Reverse everything you did in throttle stop and see if it happeds again. You might be forced to delete the config file the program created to store your modifications but i'm not very sure about that. Maybe you undervolted the cpu to much or just did a mistake when you played with throttle stop.

Also doublecheck bios version and update it again to 1.15. I had to update it twice since windows 10 downloaded the 1.12 version and applied it over 1.15 for some reason...

I just checked Acer website for the 1.15 version BIOS update but looks like only 1.13 is available for download right now. Eventhough my pc had 1.15 version pre installed. Where do i find the 1.15 update? 
    http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7309?b=1

So I did play the same game (Ghost Recon Wildands) after getting Blue screen of death twice and this time my pc didnt crash but still got too hot and stayed in 90-95degree celcius. Is there a way to reverse throttlestop settings without having to redo each bit? I undervolted cpu to -120 btw.