Predator Helios 300 heating a lot, undervolt doesn't work.

GabrielMM3
GabrielMM3 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
So I love playing in my Predator Helios 300 and I do have consistent performance in most of the games, but the one I play the most is PUBG.
It has bad optimization and sucks everything from the pc. My temps go up to 97C max and then it throttles down and the game lags. (Always use Max on fan control)
Other games it stays kind of OK, not so high.

I've heard of people doing undervolting on their computers successfully and decided to try, but I can't get ANY voltage to work for me. I've tried -125mV, -110mV, -100mV and many others in between.
Anything I've tried freezes my screen and I have to force reboot.
Any ideas or anyone that had the same problem and could help me?

PS. Just cleaned fans and repasted CPU/GPU, didn't work at all. I used to run it on stable 92C and peaks of 97C every couple of seconds.
Now it stays at 86C, 88C but then spikes to 97C again and CPU throttles down.

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Let us start with basic... you mentioned something like "bad optimization". Can you look into your services n disable super fetch and indexing services. You won't need them unless you are search nearly every other minute. And see if any non essential services turn on when you cold boot the system.
    Assuming you have windows 10 home, cold reboot (considering quick start up option is disabled in power settings), wait for 2-3 minutes to allow system to settle down, and tell me the RAM usage on your laptop.
    Stopping/disabling what we do not need on a day to day basis should help a bit, before going in further.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    What's your model & specs?
    Also what undervolt software are you using?
    - Hotel Hero
  • GabrielMM3

Tinkerer

sri369 said:
    Let us start with basic... you mentioned something like "bad optimization". Can you look into your services n disable super fetch and indexing services. You won't need them unless you are search nearly every other minute. And see if any non essential services turn on when you cold boot the system.
    Assuming you have windows 10 home, cold reboot (considering quick start up option is disabled in power settings), wait for 2-3 minutes to allow system to settle down, and tell me the RAM usage on your laptop.
    Stopping/disabling what we do not need on a day to day basis should help a bit, before going in further.
    PUBG has bad optimization! haha but actually it(the game) just uses around 60% of my CPU (i7-7700HQ), 100% of GPU (normal) and 42% of my RAM (16GB)
    I have already done those things, disabled many other windows options that just suck resources from the computer.

My problem is with undervolting, it just doesn't get stable at all, with any config.
  • GabrielMM3

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-571
    I7-7700HQ up to 3.8 GHz turbo boost
    16GB of RAM 2400Mhz
    GTX1060 6GB 

If you are Hotel Hero, a.k.a. Opoka, I'm on the facebook group, seen the videos, done repasting, lifted the back, tried XTU, tried Throttlestop (yes, I did the correct removal for XTU before it), I've posted on facebook, tried every config, Kyle tried to help, nothing worked, still at 96, 97C at PUBG.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    May sound silly but have you checked for dust? Even a very small amount can increase temps.

A better question would be what's your GPU temps?
    If its at 75 C then you can most likely rule out having to repaste or dust.

What bios are you on?

And yes I'm Opoka.
    You should have PM'ed me bro lol.
    We will get it fixed. 👌
    - Hotel Hero
  • JohnCena
    JohnCena Member Posts: 460 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    I am using Acer Aspire VX15 and no issues with PUBG. So weird.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Red-Sand said:
    Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-571
    I7-7700HQ up to 3.8 GHz turbo boost
    16GB of RAM 2400Mhz
    GTX1060 6GB 

If you are Hotel Hero, a.k.a. Opoka, I'm on the facebook group, seen the videos, done repasting, lifted the back, tried XTU, tried Throttlestop (yes, I did the correct removal for XTU before it), I've posted on facebook, tried every config, Kyle tried to help, nothing worked, still at 96, 97C at PUBG.
    To give a small hint at something you could try:

In Witcher 3 when i played at ultra with nvidia hair works and all, my 1060 was literally at 100% all the time.
    I disabled the nvidia hairworks (nothing else changed), and my 1060 usage dropped to about 50-70%. One option disabling reduced GPU usage by 40%. Maybe some setting you could try altering that could help you.

And, most importantly, while  you sort this out, get an external USB fan to help reduce temps a little so your system may not die soon. This would also help reduce fan wear cos you won't need to set it on max any more, and leave it on auto.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Mattekoi
    Mattekoi Member Posts: 1 New User
    hai I just bought my predator helios 300 (i5-8th gen), I found out that after 30minutes of playing games, the cpu temperature was 90 degree Celcius. anybody knows the solution? if I want to undervolt, can anybody suggest me the suitable core voltage offset for i5-8th gen?