Predator Helios 500 PH517-51 M2 Sata Pcie Nvme support???

Cocox
Cocox Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Just like the title. Does that laptop support M2 Pcie NVME SSDs??? 

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Cocox
    This model has Two M.2 card slots for NAND Flash Solid State Drive and supports :
    512 GB / 1 TB, 2D NVMe, RAID 0 SSD
    256 GB / 512 GB, PCIe Gen3 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    128 / 256 / 512 GB, SATA 6 Gb/s

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Cocox
    This model has Two M.2 card slots for NAND Flash Solid State Drive and supports :

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • mikeyjames
    mikeyjames Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    Hi,
    I can confirm that I've added a 250GB Samsung 970 EVO to the spare slot and I'm using it to store games for fast loading. I had a quick go at trying to get the system to boot from it after copying an image of my system partition to it with no luck. As I said it was only a quick go and I'll try again at a later date when I have more time.

In summary, the Samsung 970 EVO works great and it's lightning fast.

Cheers
    Mick
  • platinum_ultra
    platinum_ultra Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Sharanji said:
    Hi @Cocox

Sharanji  could you please explain a bit more ( I'm planning to buy a Helios 500 )
    Are you only talking about the interface options of the two m2.slots ? ( or the additional sata as well )

I plan to use a single Samsung 970 EVO as boot disk ( is RAID 0 mandatory ? meaning I have to use two disks )
    I also plan to work "disk less" meaning I would like to use Samsung 970 EVO in an external case and boot from usb3
    • could you please explain a bit more on how to configure a single Samsung 970 EVO in bios
    • Do you see any problems booting on usb3  ? ( any thoughts on the best way to do this )
    • I have seen a lot of discussions on raid 0 and achi could you please clarify a bit what to pay attention to for with different disk configurations
  • ChevyCam94
    ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi,
    I can confirm that I've added a 250GB Samsung 970 EVO to the spare slot and I'm using it to store games for fast loading. I had a quick go at trying to get the system to boot from it after copying an image of my system partition to it with no luck. As I said it was only a quick go and I'll try again at a later date when I have more time.

In summary, the Samsung 970 EVO works great and it's lightning fast.

Cheers
    Mick
    Did that drop the R/W speed of the boot NVMe any?  I'd like to add in my 960EVO M.2, but I don't want to lose my 1.8GB/s read speeds...
  • ShadowDragonX
    ShadowDragonX Member Posts: 4 New User
    I've installed 1x 500GB Samsung 970 Evo and 1x 250GB Samsung 970 Evo and managed to achieve 3.4GB/s on speed tests and 582MB/s on live data transfers between the two drives with Bitlocker enabled on both. My only issue is that for some reason BIOS passwords on the NVMe drives are not supported..... Came on briefly for some reason and never again... 
  • I've installed 1x 500GB Samsung 970 Evo and 1x 250GB Samsung 970 Evo and managed to achieve 3.4GB/s on speed tests and 582MB/s on live data transfers between the two drives with Bitlocker enabled on both. My only issue is that for some reason BIOS passwords on the NVMe drives are not supported..... Came on briefly for some reason and never again... 
    Hi,
    Yes, that's quite normal, HDD password support not available for NVMe drives.

• ShadowDragonX
    Heartbroken   :'(
    Such an awesome machine with the ability to host such amazing hardware but doesn't have the option to protect the NVMe drive with a password... Although I think it is the NVMe at fault and not the machine.
  • ShadowDragonX
    Oh. to answer the other question... No. RAID is not mandatory. I'm running my Helios with two NVMe drives and one SATA SSD on normal AHCI. If the RAID is enabled and not set up, it'll use AHCI as the default protocol for the individual drives.
  • mikeyjames
    mikeyjames Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited November 2018

Did that drop the R/W speed of the boot NVMe any?  I'd like to add in my 960EVO M.2, but I don't want to lose my 1.8GB/s read speeds...
    My model only came with an M2 Sata SSD (I think that's what it's called) in the first slot as the system drive. 
  • lastofthefew
    lastofthefew Member Posts: 49 Troubleshooter
    I've installed 1x 500GB Samsung 970 Evo and 1x 250GB Samsung 970 Evo and managed to achieve 3.4GB/s on speed tests and 582MB/s on live data transfers between the two drives with Bitlocker enabled on both. My only issue is that for some reason BIOS passwords on the NVMe drives are not supported..... Came on briefly for some reason and never again...

Hi ShadowDragon i have a Helios 500 model PH517-51-75T7 and want to install 1x 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NMVe in slot 1 for OS and 1x 1TB samsung 970 Evo NMVe in slot 2 for games then at a later date swap out the SataHdd for a Sata ssd i assume from your post this is possible. If so are there any bios changes required prior or will the default bios settings suffice.
    Can i clone my oem "C" drive to the 250GB 970 ( by installing it to slot 2 while leaving oem drive in slot 1 ) with appropriate software and then swap out the oem drive for the 250gb 970 and install the 1TB 970 to slot 2 

Thanks 
  • Poor_Bear
    Poor_Bear Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
    Hi all, I am looking at taking the websites advice on my predator 500 Ryzen (8 core) setup and getting an additional PCIe NVMe 250-1tb for that empty slot. I was looking at setting it up in Raid 0 to help with my video editing process (playback, etc). So in Raid 0, do both of my PCIe NVMe drives have to be matching? Or, is it worth it to buy a 1tb PCIe? I am just looking at my fastest options to help with video editing in general. (also, the 250 gb it comes with is not enough for my workflow). What are your recommendations?
  • Ubersonic
    Ubersonic Member Posts: 1 New User
    Poor_Bear said:
    Hi all, I am looking at taking the websites advice on my predator 500 Ryzen (8 core) setup and getting an additional PCIe NVMe 250-1tb for that empty slot. I was looking at setting it up in Raid 0 to help with my video editing process (playback, etc). So in Raid 0, do both of my PCIe NVMe drives have to be matching? Or, is it worth it to buy a 1tb PCIe? I am just looking at my fastest options to help with video editing in general. (also, the 250 gb it comes with is not enough for my workflow). What are your recommendations?
    Hey, simply put what you want isn't possible.  The AMD Helios 500 has two M.2 slots, the first only supports SATA drives whereas the second supports SATA or NVMe drives.  The AMD model doe not support RAID, that feature is unique to the Intel version (which can support two NVMe drives).

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61109/~/what-type-of-m.2-drives-are-supported-on-the-predator-helios-500
  • Poor_Bear
    Ubersonic said:
    Poor_Bear said:
    Hey, simply put what you want isn't possible.  The AMD Helios 500 has two M.2 slots, the first only supports SATA drives whereas the second supports SATA or NVMe drives.  The AMD model doe not support RAID, that feature is unique to the Intel version (which can support two NVMe drives).

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61109/~/what-type-of-m.2-drives-are-supported-on-the-predator-helios-500
    I bought the 970 evo plus and am having trouble identifying it. I put it in the spare slot. Or, do I have to mirror everything and switch out with the original M.2 drive? Any info is helpful my friend. Thank you!
  • Poor_Bear
    Ubersonic said:
    Poor_Bear said:

I bought the 970 evo plus and am having trouble identifying it. I put it in the spare slot. Or, do I have to mirror everything and switch out with the original M.2 drive? Any info is helpful my friend. Thank you!
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019
    Poor_Bear you have to clone your drive into the new one and replace it as i already stated in the other thread you opened here https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/577041/helios-500-ryzen-2700-m-2-970-evo-plus-install-in-second-slot#latest but to do so you need an usb nvme adapter enclosure because you only have one nvme slot not 2 you cannot clone nvme to nvme with only one slot you have the ryzen variant not the intel variant this thread its for the intel variant so its irrelevant to you any instructions here will not work in your model you do not have any other option if you want to keep your evo you have to replace it for the stock drive the only way to do it its the way i stated already

PS: theres no need to double post neither keep asking the same thing over and over again everywhere i already gave you the only possible solution you have if you pretend to keep the evo so now either you follow it or not its your choice but there isnt any other way to do it if you wanted raid/2 nvme slots you should had got the intel variant instead not the ryzen they are completely different specs/mobos

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/