Gaming Temperature

Zeroel
Zeroel Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Good day guys. Predator G3-571, core i7 7700, gtx 1060

been using this for a while now, and some guy told me my temps were really bad. my idel temps are around 50-60 C
but what concerns me most is whenever I play a graphic heavy game(Black Desert Online), my temps reach about 88-90.
the guy who told me my temps were bad was a traditional desktop enthusiast. he recommended having my thermal paste redone. I mean, I know that 80-90 is pretty bad, especially since I play for hours(I have a mini fan facing my laptop when it gets to 85 to bring it back down), but are the idle temps really that bad?

I mean, it is a notebook, after all...

Best Answers

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Take a look at the post stickied to the top of this forum. The first section is about temperatures and yours seem to fall in the "typical" range.

Repasting is something many users do. I would wait until the unit was no longer under warranty, since repasting yourself will most likely void the warranty.
  • Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Undervolting has zero impact on performance. Think about undervolting like this: when CPU are created, they are not all equal, if you take 10 computers each of them has slight differences, and each CPU can run at slightly different voltage. 

Manufacturers of course don't program their bios in a per case scenario, and just give X volts, where X is "more than what is needed just to be sure".

By undervolting you simply tweak your CPU by giving it just what it needs, avoiding giving it excess energy it can't use. And where does this excess energy go? Exactly: heat.

Undervolting reduces power consumption and reduces heat. Performance? No effect.

The worst thing that can happen is that if you put the wrong undervolting setting your laptop will freeze and reboot and return to standard settings.
  • Skree
    Answer ✓
    My advice: use throttlestop, there is an excellent guide and video in the faq post.

Then go to google and search "*yourcpu" undervolting", you will find other users like you and see what settings work for them.

As i said, not all CPUs are equal, so if you read that one chap can undervolt to -150, it doesn't mean that you can too. So instead of looking for the maximum undervolting possible for your CPU, look for the minimum common undervolting possible. For instance, for an i7 7700hq that's -100, my own CPU is stable at -125, and "mostly stable" at -150 with rare crashes. In the end i put it on -125 and activated speedshift.

If you have a 7700hq i can tell you that you can start at -100 with almost no risks, start at -80 if you want to exceed in the "safe" department.

If you have a different cpu, do a google search as i explained, or perhaps some other user here has experience with that specific CPU.

Answers

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Take a look at the post stickied to the top of this forum. The first section is about temperatures and yours seem to fall in the "typical" range.

Repasting is something many users do. I would wait until the unit was no longer under warranty, since repasting yourself will most likely void the warranty.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Zeroel said:

been using this for a while now, and some guy told me my temps were really bad. my idel temps are around 50-60 C
    but what concerns me most is whenever I play a graphic heavy game(Black Desert Online), my temps reach about 88-90.
    the guy who told me my temps were bad was a traditional desktop enthusiast. he recommended having my thermal paste redone. I mean, I know that 80-90 is pretty bad, especially since I play for hours(I have a mini fan facing my laptop when it gets to 85 to bring it back down), but are the idle temps really that bad?

Try undervolting. There are bunch of threads on here on how to use software like Throttlestop. That will get temps down by 10-20 degrees.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Zeroel
    sri369 said:
    Zeroel said:

Try undervolting. There are bunch of threads on here on how to use software like Throttlestop. That will get temps down by 10-20 degrees.
    wouldn't undervolting mean it'll drop the performance? 'cause under predator sense, whenever I run the game I play, it says CPU usage is at 100%. made me think I needed the performance so I never tried undervolting :c
  • Zeroel
    Zeroel said:
    sri369 said:
    Zeroel said:

wouldn't undervolting mean it'll drop the performance? 'cause under predator sense, whenever I run the game I play, it says CPU usage is at 100%. made me think I needed the performance so I never tried undervolting :c
    Scratch that... I did a recheck and it was somewhere around 50-60% CPU usage... ^_^
  • Skree
    Answer ✓
    Undervolting has zero impact on performance. Think about undervolting like this: when CPU are created, they are not all equal, if you take 10 computers each of them has slight differences, and each CPU can run at slightly different voltage. 

Manufacturers of course don't program their bios in a per case scenario, and just give X volts, where X is "more than what is needed just to be sure".

By undervolting you simply tweak your CPU by giving it just what it needs, avoiding giving it excess energy it can't use. And where does this excess energy go? Exactly: heat.

Undervolting reduces power consumption and reduces heat. Performance? No effect.

The worst thing that can happen is that if you put the wrong undervolting setting your laptop will freeze and reboot and return to standard settings.
  • Skree
    Answer ✓
    My advice: use throttlestop, there is an excellent guide and video in the faq post.

Then go to google and search "*yourcpu" undervolting", you will find other users like you and see what settings work for them.

As i said, not all CPUs are equal, so if you read that one chap can undervolt to -150, it doesn't mean that you can too. So instead of looking for the maximum undervolting possible for your CPU, look for the minimum common undervolting possible. For instance, for an i7 7700hq that's -100, my own CPU is stable at -125, and "mostly stable" at -150 with rare crashes. In the end i put it on -125 and activated speedshift.

If you have a 7700hq i can tell you that you can start at -100 with almost no risks, start at -80 if you want to exceed in the "safe" department.

If you have a different cpu, do a google search as i explained, or perhaps some other user here has experience with that specific CPU.
  • Skree
    These are the temps you can expect in IDLE with a decent undervolting and a cooling pad. 

Before i was having 50, 60 in idle.

Now that i have taken the screen, opened paint to paste it, and writing this post, temps have gone up to 43 degrees.

It's really a night and day change, and there is no impact whatsoever on the gaming experience.
  • sri369
    Skree said:
    I like your version of predator sense ...
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • sri369
    Zeroel said:

@Zeroel

See my post here: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/577993/#Comment_577993
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Zeroel
    Thank you everyone... You guys have convinced me to give undervolting a try... pray for me ^O^
  • Skree
    Let us know how it went.
  • Zeroel
    Well I tried using throttle stop exactly how hotel hero did it. but my laptop kept shutting down... guess it was unstable... so I went for Intel extreme tuning utility as recommended by a friend... I got all the way to -110 and it seems okay...

my idel temps are not at 47-50 but my gaming temps when playing black desert still reach around 85-90... anything else I should be tweaking?
    :D
  • Skree
    85-90... are a bit high but in "tolerable" range for these machines.
    If you really are worried about the temperatures i could give a workaround, but this is valid only if high fps are not important for you.

If you open geforce experience and go into settings you will se an option called "whisper mode". It will cap the framerate of the game and make some tweaks which will lower your temps drastically. You will lose FPS, down to 40.

Try it, it's a basic option that comes whitout any kind of risk or possible problems, see if you are comfortable playing with whisper mode active. It's an MMO, so i would say yes, but well... only you can be the judge :)
  • sri369
    Zeroel said:
    Well I tried using throttle stop exactly how hotel hero did it. but my laptop kept shutting down... guess it was unstable... so I went for Intel extreme tuning utility as recommended by a friend... I got all the way to -110 and it seems okay...

my idel temps are not at 47-50 but my gaming temps when playing black desert still reach around 85-90... anything else I should be tweaking?
    Throttlestop seems to be more effective than Intel XTU... I tried both, and for same values, TS reduced temps by about 5-10 degrees more than XTU.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Zeroel

• Zeroel
    sri369 said:
    Zeroel said:

Throttlestop seems to be more effective than Intel XTU... I tried both, and for same values, TS reduced temps by about 5-10 degrees more than XTU.
    Thing is TS shuts down my PC and I don;t know what to adjust other than what he did on the video xD
    I might burn something xD

• sri369
    Zeroel said:
    Thing is TS shuts down my PC and I don;t know what to adjust other than what he did on the video xD

Oh... that's weird... did you reset Intel XTU settings and restart before reducing in TS so they reduction may not be cumulative? Also try reducing by 10 units at a time.

Also in TS, you have to reduce both cpu and cpu cache values by equal amounts before hitting apply.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Zeroel
    sri369 said:
    Zeroel said:

Oh... that's weird... did you reset Intel XTU settings and restart before reducing in TS so they reduction may not be cumulative? Also try reducing by 10 units at a time.

Also in TS, you have to reduce both cpu and cpu cache values by equal amounts before hitting apply.
    I think I just might have the laptop repasted or look for a significant kind of fan that I could use instead... :c