Aspire GX-785 SSD is not recognized with error "Reboot and select proper boot device"

NcQuerty
NcQuerty Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Purchased from FNAC (BELGIUM Antwerpen 2000) on 21/04/2018 Acer Aspire TC-780
SNID: XXXXX
========================================================
Note: Included documents and BIOS say, however, that it is a (Product name) Aspire GX-785.
========================================================
Problem: at DayDate 12/06/2018
Error message:  "Reboot and select proper Boot Device "
(This issue has started from day 5 after purchase)
After a few start-up attempts, the system recognized the SSD Drive anyway.

To the extent time progressed the problem became worse.
= > on 12/06/2018 I have come to a situation where the system still does not want to boot.

Below some images of the BIOS view.

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Looks to me like a hardware issue with the SSD. Contact Acer support for warranty service if it's too late to bring back to the vendor. I'd try and get a full backup before you send it in if you can get it booted.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    I would suspect that a BIOS update might fix the problem.  Hopefully you can contact Acer and figure out your model number.

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

You may have to temporarily install a different HDD and temporarily install Windows on that HDD to update BIOS using the WinFlash SOP that can found in the Appendix folder of the BIOS package.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • NcQuerty
    Hello,
    billsey, JordanB

Thanks for your reply. It must be that the seller in the PC has been messing around. The PC of the type GX-785 looks completely different to the type TC-780. After posting my question on this forum, I have not waited for reply. At 02 pm I took contact with Acer. Acer Support was also amazed at the conflicting configuration. If you don't know anything about computers you're the sitting duck and you are allowed to go back to the store with the PC. Fortunately I am a developer/analyst and I was able to create a bootable USB stick with Windows PE. After downloading the correct BIOS version for the GX-785 I have been able to run the BIOS update.

One important tip for those who want to know. Never use "Windows ADK for Windows, version 10 1803. " this version generates an error message "PNP DRIVER WATCHDOG blue screen". Use a lower version. 

• JordanB
    Did the BIOS update solve the booting problem?
  • NcQuerty
    @Jordan, yes immediately :)

• JordanB
    Ok.....   :+1:
  • FranklinLeggio
    FranklinLeggio Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2022

In the hopes of saving someone else from unnecessarily paying Acer to fix their PC or waste 4 hours of their life, here are the steps I had to take in order to flash the bios to the most recent version *without being able to boot into Windows :

You'll need 2 USB sticks :

- One 8GB USB stick to create a Windows boot disk

- One to copy the most recent BIOS update

Here are the steps :

1. On the 8Gb USB stick, create a Windows boot disk. You can do this from here : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

2. On the other USB stick copy the unzipped BIOS update. You can download it from the Acer model's product support page.

3. Put both of these USB sticks into USB ports on your PC.

4. Boot to the Windows boot disk. On my Acer, I had to press F12 to select a boot drive, and pick my Windows boot disk.

5. When the Windows boot disk loads, select "Repair My Computer". It's a small link in the window so look for it.

6. From the Windows repair options, find the DOS command prompt and open it.

7. Once in a command prompt, poke the [Content removed] out of drive letters until you find the drive that was assigned to the USB stick which contains the BIOS you want to flash. Mine mounted to drive E.

8. Once in the drive that contains your BIOS you want to flash, find the .bat file to flash your BIOS.

9. Execute the DOS command to run the .bat file.

You may get an error after the .bat process completes, but for me, it actually flashed the BIOS properly.

Now you can use your computer again.

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon

FranklinLeggio

This is really good information.

I wish that it could be title and separated from other post.

Thanks very much,.