Touchpad doesn't work during OS installation

jsc39
jsc39 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
So, I have an Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51) Gaming laptop. I am an aspiring developer so I need Linux in my machine. I tried installing Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Arch (with Anarchy) but everytime when I get to the installation screen the cursor just stops from moving, I can't select any options with the help of touchpad, the keyboard seems to work fine but the touchpad doesn't respond. I tried booting the same bootable pendrive on my old Lenovo Laptop and the cursor worked just fine on it and was able to select the options. Can anybody help ? 

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    jsc39
    You may check by changing the touchpad option to Advanced or Basic in BIOS.
    The Main tab in BIOS allows the user to set the Touchpad to Advanced or Basic. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, to enter the BIOS.
    >Advanced option is when end user selects "Advance", it follows auto select mechanism based on OS type to decide I2C or PS2
    >Basic is when end user selects "Basic", if OS type is Win8.1 and above, I2C controller will be enable but no I2C PTP definition. If OS type is not win8.1 and above, both I2C controller and I2C PTP device will not be enabled. PS2 device must be defined.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    jsc39
    The Main tab in BIOS allows the user to set the Touchpad to Advanced or Basic. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, to enter the BIOS.
    >Advanced option is when end user selects "Advance", it follows auto select mechanism based on OS type to decide I2C or PS2
    >Basic is when end user selects "Basic", if OS type is Win8.1 and above, I2C controller will be enable but no I2C PTP definition. If OS type is not win8.1 and above, both I2C controller and I2C PTP device will not be enabled. PS2 device must be defined.

• jsc39
    I tried switching from Advanced to Basic and then booted, the touchpad worked but it was quite erratic and didn't register clicks properly. Any work around that you might know of ? Thanks 
  • jsc39
    Sharanji said:
    jsc39

Also installed the latest Elan touchpad drivers still the same issue