Access to M.2 for A715-71G-71NC

NVLaptop
NVLaptop Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
How do I access the M.2 slot to install a Samsung 970 EVO.  The two smaller doors are for memory and HDD.

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
     You have to remove the back cover to access the slot for M.2 SSD installation, please check with your local Acer support centre about any warranty query.
    You have to remove the HDD, Memory modules, remove all the screws in the back cover, use a plastic tool or a old credit card to release the tabs to separate the back cover, slowly lift off the back cover and install the M.2 SSD.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi @NVLaptop
    The screw size is M2.0x2.5   the Part number:86.GCHN2.010
    You can buy the screw in any hardware store or a laptop repair shop, I have a M.2 SSD installed without a screw and only supported by the back cover but my laptop hardly leave my desk, so approach cautiously with this solution, I didn't have the screw, so I just closed the back cover slowly after installing the SSD in another model.
  • R7vmc
    R7vmc Member Posts: 65 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    You can install one of the HDD Screw to the SSD to keep it in place

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
     You have to remove the back cover to access the slot for M.2 SSD installation, please check with your local Acer support centre about any warranty query.
    You have to remove the HDD, Memory modules, remove all the screws in the back cover, use a plastic tool or a old credit card to release the tabs to separate the back cover, slowly lift off the back cover and install the M.2 SSD.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• NVLaptop

Tinkerer

Brummyfan2,
    Thanks got it as far as installing the NVMe M.2 SSD.  The screw receptacle in the motherboard did not have a screw.  Can you provide the screw specifications and should there be on there? 
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi @NVLaptop
    The screw size is M2.0x2.5   the Part number:86.GCHN2.010
    You can buy the screw in any hardware store or a laptop repair shop, I have a M.2 SSD installed without a screw and only supported by the back cover but my laptop hardly leave my desk, so approach cautiously with this solution, I didn't have the screw, so I just closed the back cover slowly after installing the SSD in another model.
  • NVLaptop

Tinkerer

Next challenge; I successfully cloned the Samsung SSD using their migration tool.  When I boot up with the Acer HDD installed I get a conflict and the Acer HDD prevails as the bootable drive.  I tried changing the Acer HDD letter to D but, it won't accept that change.  I looked in the Bios and the Acer HDD is the only visible drive when it is installed.  With the HDD drive installed, I can see the conflict in the computer management window.  When I remove the Acer Drive the Bios recognizes the Samsung SSD as the bootable drive and the SSD looks healthy in the computer management window.  I'd like the retain the Acer 1 TB HDD drive for data.  Help!
  • NVLaptop

Tinkerer

Here are the computer management windows mentioned above. The first window is with the Acer HDD and Samsung SSD installed.  The next window is with the Acer 1 TB HDD removed.
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    If the system boots with M.2 SSD only in the laptop, you can put the 1TB HDD in an enclosure and format the drive, then install it in the HDD bay and use it for additional storage but make sure that M.2 SSD was cloned properly and no issues booting with it. If you don't have an enclosure, buy an adapter similar to one in the link.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-SATA-Adapter-Cable-Drives-en-GB-SATA-USB-3-0-converter/dp/B01N2JIQR7

• R7vmc
    R7vmc Member Posts: 65 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    You can install one of the HDD Screw to the SSD to keep it in place
  • NVLaptop

Tinkerer

I contacted Acer Support directly and they had me upgrade my bios firmware to v1.13.  That fixed the problem so I don't have to reformat my 1 TB for a while until I'm sure the SSD is working completely. So far so good.  Prior to that I ran the DISKPART program and the drive Id's were different.  Still not sure why this happened but, bios firmware upgrade fixed it.  Thanks for all your help brumyfan2, most appreciated!
  • brummyfan2
    You are welcome and glad you got it sorted :)
  • spkay31
    spkay31 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Waking up this old thread. Thanks for the help. Just one word of caution with newer laptop. I was swapping out my Aspire A717-72G-700J OEM 256GB ssd (Intel 660p) with an Intel 660p 512GB ssd. I had problems actually getting off the retaining machine screw, and I was being careful not to strip the phillips head slot, but I could not get it off without resorting to a soldering iron + flux on the screw to get enough heat to break it lose. Not sure if there was adhesive or thread locker on it but be conscious of this if you are swapping m.2 drives on newer models.
  • AceFan
    AceFan Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Regarding the M.2 screw. I saw a video on Youtube where someone "borrowed" a screw from somewhere else in the laptop and used it to secure the M.2. The size was different and caused problems.

You just need 1 M.2 screw. But they are tiny and easy to lose or drop.

When I installed my M.2 I purchased 2 M.2 screws on eBay in case I lost one. The screw worked perfectly and this is the listing where I purchased the screws from:  https://www.ebay.com/i/113025938326