XB321HK Weird Artifact

Answers

• RidingTheFlow
    RidingTheFlow Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon
    So I have reached the END of Acers customer service line, They only offered me $400 refund LOL. After 5 returns, 3 different xb321hk monitors, I have worked with Corporate Customer service and "Elite" technical support and wasted 3-4 months for $400.00 refund.... Unbelievable. I will continue to post my personal experience on websites and I'll update my Youtube video warning people NOT to buy ACER...
    Are you in UK/EU? Because european consumer law clearly says - if product can't be repaired within warranty, full refund must be done. Full refund = amount you've paid, period. Not the "whatever amount of money they feel generous to offer".

• RidingTheFlow
    Sounds like they are trying to fleece you to pay all these wasted shipping costs at the end, by deducting them from refund sum.

• adamlreed93
    adamlreed93 Member Posts: 61 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    So I have reached the END of Acers customer service line, They only offered me $400 refund LOL. After 5 returns, 3 different xb321hk monitors, I have worked with Corporate Customer service and "Elite" technical support and wasted 3-4 months for $400.00 refund.... Unbelievable. I will continue to post my personal experience on websites and I'll update my Youtube video warning people NOT to buy ACER...
    Are you in UK/EU? Because european consumer law clearly says - if product can't be repaired within warranty, full refund must be done. Full refund = amount you've paid, period. Not the "whatever amount of money they feel generous to offer".

No the USA :(
  • adamlreed93
    Sounds like they are trying to fleece you to pay all these wasted shipping costs at the end, by deducting them from refund sum.

Well I called Corporate Headquarters again and spoke to another person who will look into it and call me Monday
  • lemonudder
    lemonudder Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, just read this long post after I had the same effect with random flickering. I have the 27 inch IPS version. What would you guys recommend as an alternative to this as i'm returning this one today!
  • adamlreed93
    Hi, just read this long post after I had the same effect with random flickering. I have the 27 inch IPS version. What would you guys recommend as an alternative to this as i'm returning this one today!
    Sorry Lemonudder, I still have my xb321hk monitor as they only offered $400 refund to me, Personally if I were you return it as you plan on doing and start researching a different brand and read reviews
  • adamlreed93
    Update: I talked too another "Corporate" customer service and got the same ole same ole $400 refund for a $1000+ monitor offer, After 5 different returns, 3 different xb321hk monitors, I have worked with Corporate Customer service and "Elite" technical support and wasted 3-4 months for $400.00 refund.... Unbelievable. I will continue to post my personal experience on websites and I'll update my Youtube video warning people NOT to buy ACER?,
  • RidingTheFlow
    You probably will get more if you sell on eBay - especially if monitor is good otherwise (e.g. small bleed/no dead pixels).

• adamlreed93
    You probably will get more if you sell on eBay - especially if monitor is good otherwise (e.g. small bleed/no dead pixels).

Very True, I just want to keep this thread going so that possible future buyers see our reviews and experiences and DO NOT BUY ACER
  • jamse101
    jamse101 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Im going to buy a grounding cable to connect to the base of my Acer Predator XB321HK as I stated earlier that I can make my screen flicker almost anytime I want with static electricity touching the base of the monitor. I will report back on Saturday or Sunday
    I experienced screen black outs with XB321HK that were caused by:

1. Interference from electrical network: switching on/off light in the closet of the room where
    the monitor was or plugging something into another AC outlet in the same room.

2. Static electricity: Moving Adidas tracksuit pants in the front of the monitor from 2 meter distance
    to 0.5 meter distance. The pants are the like that easily collect static charge.

The black outs disappeared completely after replacing DP cable with higher quality one.

Here's specs for the old cable:

http://www.deltaco.eu/en/products/deltaco/deltaco-prime/DP-1020

And the new one:

http://www.deltaco.eu/en/products/deltaco/cables-adapters/displayport/displayport/DP8K-1020

But the smaller distortion that this thread seems to be mostly about still happens with the
    new cable also.
  • jamse101

Tinkerer

I just also tried the old cable with GSync off and the screen blacked out every time I switched light in the closet. I didn't get the black out with the tracksuit pants now, probably they didn't have enough charge now but it could also be that turning GSync off might have some effect. After returning to the new cable switching light in the closet stopped causing black outs.
  • techmage
    techmage Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have this issue too.
    TBH, even with this issue the monitor is still quite usable and what alternative exists? If acer offered me a 30% discount on another monitor I would be satisfied with this.

One idea though. Has anyone tried cooling the monitor? Like propping a little fan to blow in through the vents, or maybe rig a fan somewhere inside of it.

I do notice the issue only comes up with the monitor has been on for a while and it is in use. I first, and primarily noticed it when playing an actual game. Then occasionally noticed it on the desktop. Which makes me think maybe it heat related. 
  • siffonen
    siffonen Member Posts: 3 New User
    Just ordered this display and found this topic and few more about this issue. Had to contact acer finland to find out what is going on and they told me that this problem should have been fixed with new panel/fw
  • adamlreed93
    siffonen said:
    Just ordered this display and found this topic and few more about this issue. Had to contact acer finland to find out what is going on and they told me that this problem should have been fixed with new panel/fw
    Return it, Don't risk it, IMO, I'll never buy Acer again
  • siffonen
    edited July 2018
    siffonen said:
    Return it, Don't risk it, IMO, I'll never buy Acer again

Problem is that i havent found other display with 4K, IPS, Gsync. Im willing to test this for two weeks and return it if it has problems
  • jamse101

Tinkerer

siffonen said:
    I'm also from Finland. I've been thinking about calling Acer to get my XB321HK fixed or replaced. But waiting would be too much pain in the *****. If they would replace it so that I don't have to send old one before getting replacement I'd go for it. Maybe I call them in August when I have less need for the computer.

The black out issue was much more worse than this small glitch and I had been able to live with it almost one and half year until I got it fixed last week with better cable. Apart these two issues, the XB321HK is best monitor I've had so far.
  • RidingTheFlow
    edited July 2018
    It very unlikely its heat related. Its been very hot latest days, and I've noticed issue less, not more.
    Its just completely random and may make you think that various things affect it while it was just coincidence.

siffonen said:
    I doubt its fixed, they will tell you anything you want to hear just to make you buy it. As you see person above was sent a "new replacement" monitor by Acer and issue was still occuring. You bet they would send them a fixed one if they actually had it, but they didn't. When they'll have your money - you will be in world of pain trying to get it fixed with them wasting your time. 

G-sync is a nice feature, but I don't think presently its worth it to be honest (esp. extra price they charge for it too). There been much better modern 4K IPS monitors been released recently - with much higher contrast, better panel optical quality (e.g. less bleed and glow) and zero dead pixel guarantees.
    I'd prefer just to use Nvidia Adaptive VSync which works almost as well if not better - because G-sync breaks all the time when Microsoft releases new Windows version or NVidia releases new driver.

Also if you think that monitor that glitches like 60-ies analog TV is "ok to live with" its ultimately up to you - but also keep in mind that unless you going to keep it for lifetime, you will have trouble selling it later when you want to replace it with something newer - because you can bet not a lot of people will want to buy it from you knowing that it suffers from glitches.

• N1N7EN
    N1N7EN Member Posts: 2 New User
    I also have the flickering on half the panel. I've noticed it half a dozen times now and I just got it. I bought refurbished from newegg to save some money. It's the XB321HK model manufacturing date March 2017. I seriously doubt Acer will do anything about it, so I'll have to just live with it. I never had any problems with multiple Dell Ultrasharp monitors. I'm never buying Acer again.
  • techmage
    techmage Member Posts: 2 New User
    So I put two fans blowing down through the vents. It seems to improve the situation. It doesn't happen as frequently, and when it does it is more subtle.

Note: My monitor doesn't have the "black out" issue, but intermittent flash of garbled image.
  • siffonen
    Been using this monitor for two weeks without any issues, so im happy sofar. And if something weird happens once a week or month, it doesnt bother me. This is best monitor i have ever used and for the price i paid its great
This discussion has been closed.