Acer Preadtor 17 Complete Lock out

SatansTheory
SatansTheory Member Posts: 92 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
So i was Playing some PUBG everything was going fine. I quit and turned on some twitch, Then i unplugged my headphones got some weird error on twitch.. Then my keyboard stopped responding all together. So i figured OK i will shut it down. I hit restart.. the system just froze the monitor shut off, but all the keys were still glowing along with the lights on the back of the monitor. I shut the case, i tried pushing in the battery button that doesn't seem to work at all, unless i am hitting the wrong pinhole button. So i took off the back plate, i remember reading somewhere that would power it down.. Is this a common problem?

Answers

• SatansTheory
    So i have been getting this quite a bit. When i put this into sleep mode it seems to not wanna wake up but the keyboard is still powered on but the screen wont wake up without holding the power button down and then unplugging all usb and the power cord, then powering it back up. Any idea what would cause this?

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    What version of BIOS, my Predator 17 (G9-793, 7700HQ, GTX 1070, 32Gb) has no issue on BIOS 1.13.  Reset pinhole should have some indication, nor instantaneous need to hold the reset button for a few seconds and leave the notebook to sit for while all with the power supply unplugged. 

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

This thread may also be relevant:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/545740/my-brand-new-acer-predator-17-randomly-turns-off-when-power-adapter-is-unplugged#latest

Q-6
  • SatansTheory
    I am using 1.13 when i press the pinhole it does nothing at all.. It just happened when powering up right now coming out of sleep mode. It seems to work better if i put it into sleep mode manually by pressing power, sleep. then just shutting the lid. I have had it less than a month. Not sure if i should send it back. Im not getting a complete lock out where i have to take the back off but it seems to be USB related.
  • SatansTheory
    I am using 1.13 when i press the pinhole it does nothing at all.. It just happened when powering up right now coming out of sleep mode. It seems to work better if i put it into sleep mode manually by pressing power, sleep. then just shutting the lid. I have had it less than a month. Not sure if i should send it back. Im not getting a complete lock out where i have to take the back off but it seems to be USB related.
  • SatansTheory
    I just put in a thing on amazon for a replacement. I am going to run Prime95 as soon as i get it. This one still hits 90c when gaming for 3 to 4 hours While being undervolted to -130.8
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    I just put in a thing on amazon for a replacement. I am going to run Prime95 as soon as i get it. This one still hits 90c when gaming for 3 to 4 hours While being undervolted to -130.8
    At 0.125 undervolt mine stays at about 85 or lower, occasional spike to 90. So it should be good.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    For everyone having the problem with Predator 17 not waking up when asleep etc etc... 

Update your BIOs. 
    Fixed mine. 👌 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Queen6
    Depending on the game "par for the course" you can also look at the CPU core temperature differentials if there's a big difference it indicates that the thermal paste may not have been applied evenly and or the heat sync is not tightened down evenly.  Predator 17 has a triangle arrangement for the heatsync retention which is not optimal IHMO.

My own Predator 17 has a fair amount of CPU core temperature differential, however with an undervolt of -132mV it's manageable with Prime95 Small FFT test running at around 85C.  Generally I'll run OCCT (CPU, large dataset) for 3-4 hours for stability testing after undervolt, Prime95 is too aggressive with OCCT having a lot more data to review at the end of the sequence. I also find that ThrottleStop's own TS Bench is pretty good a showing any error.

For extended periods of gaming I'd also recommend a cooling pad to help reduce temperature build up in the chassis also run the FrostCore.  I've stopped at BIOS 1.13 as currently my Predator 17 has no issue and I want to know more about the positives & negatives of 1.14

Q-6
  • marthasimons
    marthasimons Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited June 2018
    Excellent :) , thanks for the answer, it turns out my processor was warming up, and cooling was hammered
  • SatansTheory
    Queen6 said:
    Depending on the game "par for the course" you can also look at the CPU core temperature differentials if there's a big difference it indicates that the thermal paste may not have been applied evenly and or the heat sync is not tightened down evenly.  Predator 17 has a triangle arrangement for the heatsync retention which is not optimal IHMO.

My own Predator 17 has a fair amount of CPU core temperature differential, however with an undervolt of -132mV it's manageable with Prime95 Small FFT test running at around 85C.  Generally I'll run OCCT (CPU, large dataset) for 3-4 hours for stability testing after undervolt, Prime95 is too aggressive with OCCT having a lot more data to review at the end of the sequence. I also find that ThrottleStop's own TS Bench is pretty good a showing any error.

For extended periods of gaming I'd also recommend a cooling pad to help reduce temperature build up in the chassis also run the FrostCore.  I've stopped at BIOS 1.13 as currently my Predator 17 has no issue and I want to know more about the positives & negatives of 1.14

Q-6
      I stopped at 1.13 as well. It seems like Uneven thermal paste or very poorly applied thermal paste.. Mine is undervolted to -130.8 i could go lower but i still can get 90-93c when gaming and thats just playing wow not even on ultra, with max fans running.. It normally does not get that high. But now it will not wake up out of sleep mode at all. I have to unplug all USB and power cords then reboot it. If i try turning it off and back on with them plugged in only the keyboard comes on. I am hoping the replacement has a better thermal paste applied. Seems like it is a huge hit and miss for this model. You would think people spending 1500+ on a laptop they could at least make the system able to handle max load without undervolting. I just dont want to have to do a complete new startup everytime i open up my lid.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    I know it's not your laptop but same methods apply. 

https://youtu.be/XTPMwQKlfPE

https://youtu.be/N3v3o21M8gg
    - Hotel Hero
  • Queen6
    Queen6 said:

Q-6
      I stopped at 1.13 as well. It seems like Uneven thermal paste or very poorly applied thermal paste.. Mine is undervolted to -130.8 i could go lower but i still can get 90-93c when gaming and thats just playing wow not even on ultra, with max fans running.. It normally does not get that high. But now it will not wake up out of sleep mode at all. I have to unplug all USB and power cords then reboot it. If i try turning it off and back on with them plugged in only the keyboard comes on. I am hoping the replacement has a better thermal paste applied. Seems like it is a huge hit and miss for this model. You would think people spending 1500+ on a laptop they could at least make the system able to handle max load without undervolting. I just dont want to have to do a complete new startup everytime i open up my lid.
    To return is better in this case as if your on BIOS 1.13 with W10 1803 there should be no real problems.  The issue with PC's is that they are complex systems and debugging them can take an age on the software side.  My P-16 has no resume issues, when in the field on an engineering project literally weeks and weeks without any reboot required.

Every system is literally unique and the undervolt it handles reflective.  Been down as deep as -160mV with my P-16, however one application would trigger a freeze, now at 131.8mV which for this CPU is optimal, others more, others less.

Q-6
  • SatansTheory
    How hard would it be to put a Samsung 970 in this. How could i clone over the OS?
  • SatansTheory
    Queen6 said:
    Queen6 said:

Q-6
    To return is better in this case as if your on BIOS 1.13 with W10 1803 there should be no real problems.  The issue with PC's is that they are complex systems and debugging them can take an age on the software side.  My P-16 has no resume issues, when in the field on an engineering project literally weeks and weeks without any reboot required.

Every system is literally unique and the undervolt it handles reflective.  Been down as deep as -160mV with my P-16, however one application would trigger a freeze, now at 131.8mV which for this CPU is optimal, others more, others less.

Q-6
    Yes i agree. I tried all the steps that i could find. My buddy ordered the same issue and his sits around 30c Idle where mine sits around 45c Idle and undervolted.  That i can deal with since its not CPU throttling during games, but the not waking up out of sleep is horrible to have to reboot everything. I ordered a laptop for convenience not for more issue that i had with my gaming rig. My new system should be in tomorrow, not sure if that will start my 30 days over again with amazon to make sure i dont have the same issue.

Update- So my new laptop is coming in tomorrow, overnight from Amazon. This laptop is not waking up it still runs a little warm. I am not sure if i want to unbox the other laptop just to see if it runs a little cooler.. What do you think? I have been sticking in the mid 80's unvervolted and occasionally jumps into the low 90s. Everything is on my Samsung 860 SSD drive besides some basic stuff i would have to re-download but who knows what issues that laptop may come with.
  • Queen6
    Queen6 said:
    Queen6 said:

Q-6

Q-6
    Yes i agree. I tried all the steps that i could find. My buddy ordered the same issue and his sits around 30c Idle where mine sits around 45c Idle and undervolted.  That i can deal with since its not CPU throttling during games, but the not waking up out of sleep is horrible to have to reboot everything. I ordered a laptop for convenience not for more issue that i had with my gaming rig. My new system should be in tomorrow, not sure if that will start my 30 days over again with amazon to make sure i dont have the same issue.

Update- So my new laptop is coming in tomorrow, overnight from Amazon. This laptop is not waking up it still runs a little warm. I am not sure if i want to unbox the other laptop just to see if it runs a little cooler.. What do you think? I have been sticking in the mid 80's unvervolted and occasionally jumps into the low 90s. Everything is on my Samsung 860 SSD drive besides some basic stuff i would have to re-download but who knows what issues that laptop may come with.
    My view is it's already on the way and other do perform as expected, so why not try...

Q-6
  • Queen6
    How hard would it be to put a Samsung 970 in this. How could i clone over the OS?
    This tread should help.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/545647/how-do-i-copy-my-boot-drive-to-an-m-2#latest

Q-6
  • SatansTheory
    I got my new computer in and without underclocking at all it it it is running at 80 degrees Celsius under a full load compared to 97 that my other system ran at under a full load when I got it although this one did come with the version 1.12 and my other one came with 1.13 so I'm updating it to see if that changes anything
  • SatansTheory
    Well i have had 3 system lockups in the last hour while playing Jurassic Park Evo and once while playing fortnite. Still runs about the same Temp as the other one. Not sure if i should send this one back and keep the other one now. I only had one system lockup on that one and it was a Hard lock. I have had 3 in the last hour on this one.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Well i have had 3 system lockups in the last hour while playing Jurassic Park Evo and once while playing fortnite. Still runs about the same Temp as the other one. Not sure if i should send this one back and keep the other one now. I only had one system lockup on that one and it was a Hard lock. I have had 3 in the last hour on this one.
    So the issue is with both old and new ones?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Queen6
    Update all the drivers, there's a big thread about some of the Predator's locking up and black screening.  My own opinion it's due to the drivers not playing well with the latest version of W10

Q-6