My brand new Acer Predator 17 randomly turns off when power adapter is unplugged

Steve28
Steve28 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
 i'll have the laptop unplugged, and it will randomly shut off, usually below 50% battery,fourth time it's happened since I got the laptop in the beginning of April. Any way to fix without having to send it out? 

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Install battery bar to get more realistic status on battery, including any wear.
    Maybe a bad battery?

Open cmd and try the following, these could help:

powercfg/batteryreport
    powercfg/energy
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You can try resetting the battery:
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

If it does not help, I would suggest you to contact Acer tech support. It is possible that there is something wrong with the battery or the battery controller not being able to provide enough power to the system, when the charge drops below a certian value. Does the unexpected shutdown happen every time when the charge drops below 50%? 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Steve28
    ven98 said:
    You can try resetting the battery:
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

If it does not help, I would suggest you to contact Acer tech support. It is possible that there is something wrong with the battery or the battery controller not being able to provide enough power to the system, when the charge drops below a certian value. Does the unexpected shutdown happen every time when the charge drops below 50%? 
    Nope its random 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Did you try a battery reset?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Steve28
    ven98 said:
    Did you try a battery reset?
    I have not, but if it happens again then I might 
  • CathodeRayTub
    CathodeRayTub Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Are you getting a blue screen of death?

I have (HAD, hopefully) the same issue, on battery power doing some light web browsing; I'd get the bsod after a few minutes.  I posted my issue in that big post about users getting the black screen thinking it was the same.. but I think it's different.  Especially because I realized mine is 7th generation and not 8th which it seems is where the problems are.

What I just did earlier this morning was update all of the drivers using a third party app Driver Booster and made sure Windows was up to date.  Now, I am typing this to you on battery power with no issues YET.  It seemed like a lot of the Intel drivers weren't up to date.

Before I did this, I also did the battery reset.

So maybe try and make sure all of your drivers are up to date.  My comp was crashing at full battery power before this... will update you if it starts to crash again, but I'm feeling good right now...  I only use it on battery power rarely anyway.

Let me know if it works for you.  Also, uninstall Driver Booster (if you use it) after you're done, it seems pesky and has added apps it tries to make you use.

I'm not the biggest tech support guy, so if anyone wants to chime in on my solution, have at it!
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    @CathodeRayTub
    What is say is what exactly cured my issue... use drivers off web via windows or driver manager software, instead of acer bundled drivers.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Steve28
    Just happened again, I tried the battery reset, pretty sure I heard the click when i pressed it, if it happens again ill just have to take it to someone :/ 
  • CathodeRayTub

Tinkerer

Steve28 said: you
    Just happened again, I tried the battery reset, pretty sure I heard the click when i pressed it, if it happens again ill just have to take it to someone :/ 
    Did you upgrade the drivers yet?
  • Steve28
    No i haven't gotten a chance to, kinda embarrassing to ask but how do I do that? 
  • CathodeRayTub

Tinkerer

Steve28 said: 
    No i haven't gotten a chance to, kinda embarrassing to ask but how do I do that? 
    Just read my previous reply!  I said everything you need to know!  It solved the same issue for me.
  • Steve28
    Steve28 said: 
    Just read my previous reply!  I said everything you need to know!  It solved the same issue for me.
    Updated windows, hopefully that solved it, I never got the blue screen, just a straight up shut off. I'll post again if it crashes again but i really hope it doesn't. can't afford to pay for repairs rn :(
  • CathodeRayTub

Tinkerer

Are you getting a blue screen of death?

I have (HAD, hopefully) the same issue, on battery power doing some light web browsing; I'd get the bsod after a few minutes.  I posted my issue in that big post about users getting the black screen thinking it was the same.. but I think it's different.  Especially because I realized mine is 7th generation and not 8th which it seems is where the problems are.

What I just did earlier this morning was update all of the drivers using a third party app Driver Booster and made sure Windows was up to date.  Now, I am typing this to you on battery power with no issues YET.  It seemed like a lot of the Intel drivers weren't up to date.

Before I did this, I also did the battery reset.

So maybe try and make sure all of your drivers are up to date.  My comp was crashing at full battery power before this... will update you if it starts to crash again, but I'm feeling good right now...  I only use it on battery power rarely anyway.

Let me know if it works for you.  Also, uninstall Driver Booster (if you use it) after you're done, it seems pesky and has added apps it tries to make you use.

I'm not the biggest tech support guy, so if anyone wants to chime in on my solution, have at it!
    I didn't say to update windows, I said to update the drivers.  Check out my previous response.  If you're having a hard time finding my previous response, I quoted it above ^^.

But basically, to update the drivers you need to download a third party app (I used Driver Booster).  It will find all of the drivers and tell you which ones you need to update, then you can very simply update them all from within the app.

Good luck!  And if updating the drivers doesn't solve it, then you may have a different problem.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    I have a Predator 17 and had random shut downs after purchasing and thought I had a lemon. 

Ended up updating the BIOs and random shut downs ceased. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Red-Sand said:
    I have a Predator 17 and had random shut downs after purchasing and thought I had a lemon. 

Ended up updating the BIOs and random shut downs ceased. 

What revision is your P-17 on now? 1.14, I've left my P-17 (7700HQ, GTX 1070, 32Gb) on 1.13 for the time being as no issues observed.

Q-6
  • Red-Sand
    edited June 2018
    @Queen6
    G9-793 - i7-7700 - 1070
    I also am on 1.13 as I wanted to avoid the loss in performance from the Spectre/Meltdown "fixes" from 1.14.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    @Queen6
    G9-793 - i7-7700 - 1070
    I also am on 1.13 as I wanted to avoid the loss in performance from the Spectre/Meltdown "fixes" from 1.14.
    Red-Sand said:
    @Queen6
    G9-793 - i7-7700 - 1070

Thx, same here, still using SATA SSD so not a big deal, equally NVMe SSD might take a hit in performance.  I'd be inclined to try out 1.14, equally don't want the hassle of dealing with reverting to 1.13.  I also have an Asus S7BS (GL703GS) with new 8750H, 1070, 32Gb & Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD that hits 3400 reads with the benefit of the faster SSD being noticeable. 

Q-6
  • Red-Sand
    Yeah I think realistically the SATA m.2's are plenty fast enough for gaming/storing etc. 
    A tad off topic but for the Helios 300 someone had put a Samsung NVME in it and it reads at 3500.. Which I thought was strange since its rated at SATA 3 and not NVME. The only difference the tests showed was that 4k sequential writes were slightly slower then a system with NVME compatible mobo. 

But yeah for OP definately update the BIOs, try 1.13 since it seems stable and fixed my wake from sleep issue right away. 
    - Hotel Hero