PH315-51 showing black screen after one hour of web surfing

Answers

• jodiehca
    jodiehca Member Posts: 1 New User
    Yeah, I will probably point them to this forum thread. Hopefully we can build up the likes on my post for keeping count of affected owners.

---------------------------
    Home Care Assistance

• badaltharayil
    badaltharayil Member Posts: 45 Devotee WiFi Icon
    @Roland_Lorinczi: my replacement window is closed from the seller side. Only option i have now is acer. I am so irritated. 
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    @badaltharayil I feel your pain. I think you can still try and have discussions directly with your seller, point them to this forum as evidence of complaints that it's a faulty batch and let them work it out with Acer - they probably have better means for such cases (bricked and faulty from factory) than we do directly with the manufacturer (especially if they barely communicate).

And understandably we should return the faulty units and the seller should be obliged to take it and Acer from them. We didn't pay in full for a brand new machine to have to go through this and live in fear when the next issue comes up with such a poorly executed product, launch and such lack of support when we have issues.

Even when we're not an isolated case, but many, having the same issue, at the same time right after launch...
    Imagine how "good" support will be ("UNDER WARRANTY"...) when in a couple of months you have an issue that not everyone is having at the same time...

@Acer-Manny Please present our options in case we're fed up with waiting :)
    ⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Oh and @sri369 I'm testing the other way around now: nVidia disabled, using Intel UHD graphics only.
    I wanted to finish a project in Adobe Premiere, and with those settings, I'm experiencing THIS ISSUE 

(And yes, I realize, this specific issue is from the intel driver so Acer is off the hook for it...I guess...but...I just don't know how much more I can take of all this...).

What's up with you guys? How many of you opted for a refund? How many of you got one? Thinking very hard to just give up on this...I just feel bad for the sellers who were the intermediaries...they have no fault in this whatsoever and I might have to give them a hard time to try and get a refund...

Instructions for FIX

💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • badaltharayil
    @Roland_Lorinczi
    : I suggest not to give up! and dont go for a refund! acer is a global this is not how they should deal with this. we need to find a solution

• praveen001
    praveen001 Member Posts: 23 Networker
    @Roland_Lorinczi
    : I suggest not to give up! and dont go for a refund! acer is a global this is not how they should deal with this. we need to find a solution

from past 10 to 15 days we are waiting for solution but no official comment till now. how many day we will wait for single response 
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    @Roland_Lorinczi

Not give up is fine. But why not a refund? End customer is doing some serious QA testing here, and this isn't what they signed up for when they purchased the laptop.

I have a Asus ROG from 2012, and it is still going strong, no over heating, nothing. Only thing is that it cannot handle recent AAA games on ultra cos of paltry 2 GB 660M on it. Other than that, 0 issues since purchase. No other laptop I got ever had a forum filled with these many issues, esp with a glaring show stopper like this that is going on unresolved.

Luckily, in US, I got the 2 year protection plan paying about $200 over the item price that would cover in case I came over these kind of issues. And I got it after seeing forums riddled with this issue. But then, personally, I do like this laptop for its form factor and the bundled 1060. Battery life i could live with to an extent, but that too they should advertise properly... like the one I got had an advertised life of 9 hours... let alone 9, I would consider myself lucky if it crossed the 3-4 hour mark. Its like selling a car saying it would give 35 MPG while in reality it gave only 15.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Hash6000
    Hash6000 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

ssup? are you guys going for a refund ? or with the help can we solve this issue? please let me know if we can solve ....coz i bought it online, and i cant return it back, so please help!!
  • badaltharayil
    @Hash6000
    : same here budd... i am left with no options for refund or replacement from seller side. acer is my only resort.

• Roland_Lorinczi
    Update: it happened again.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 driver disabled this time, running on intel UHD solely.
    Already conducted a test the other way around (running on nvidia, intel UHD disabled) - that one resulted in a blackscreen as well.

I think it's safe to conclude that these are not the culprits then.

My patience is running thin everyone.

MY NEXT AND LAST ATTEMPT!: 

I'll install windows 7 to see if it might be an issue/incompatibility in windows 10. I'm about to copy all my personal files off the machine, wipe it clean, and install a win7 on it with all the recommended drivers from the acer driver support page for windows 7 64bit. The moment another black screen occurs I'm returning the unit in it's soft-bricked state.

If in the meantime Acer comes back with a reply, a solution...well this is their chance for that.
    But the next blackscreen I have, on win 7, I'm returning the faulty good and doing everything I can to get the word out on all this. I already posted under a couple of their facebook posts
    All this, not in order to be petty, but because IT'S WRONG! and to warn others.

Good luck everyone...

And @Acer-Manny: I'm disappointed in you...you personally as well as the company. I think I gave time, and even spoke on your behalf at first so they understand your position, but at this point you let us all down along with Acer as a whole...

Instructions for FIX

• Roland_Lorinczi
    I have NEVER been THIS DISSAPOINTED by a brand and even any sort of customer support (and some of them act like they're competing for worst place...so that says something...)

@Hash6000 @badaltharayil Look up some laws. I for instance ordered it online as well but being in the EU entitles me to a refund if it's under warranty+ i notify seller within 2 months and the burden of proof is on them.to prove it is without defects.

I have a 14 day return window that I passed too but this is not a case of changing your mind. It's a deffective product! I'll sue if I have to, I won't bend over and take this with my mouth shut. It's revolting, disgusting and unjust. I'll keep you all posted (if they don't delete my comments or the thread...I already know of some comments that were deleted ("not approved"...)...I can't even express my disgust with all this anymore...

Instructions for FIX

• sri369
    edited June 2018
    @Roland_Lorinczi @Hash6000 @badaltharayil

Before you guys give up... try this please...

1. Create USB off MS site
    2. Wipe primary hard disk all partitions
    3. Disable GPT boot, and enable legacy (in bios)
    4. Start windows install
    4a. Set partitions as MBR this time
    5. Complete windows installation
    6. Allow windows update all drivers
    7. Install predator sense from acer site (only predator sense; not a single driver or any other software from there)
    8. Install all updates

Also, i had updated to bios version 1.13, if that helps.

This process resolved my issue... hopefully will resolve yours too.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • badaltharayil
    @sri369: can u please help me with some steps in how to do these? And does windows automatically download system driver? Your help would be appreciated. One more question how long did you test your system after this. For me freezing happend when unplugged from charger. 
  • sri369
    edited June 2018
    @sri369: can u please help me with some steps in how to do these? And does windows automatically download system driver? Your help would be appreciated. One more question how long did you test your system after this. For me freezing happend when unplugged from charger. 
    @badaltharayil
    I just listed all the steps up there :-(

June 2nd is when I moved back to 10 from testing 7 for about 2 weeks or so. And its been up since then. Things are going one smooth... ***touchwood***
    Infact y'day I even tested the system on battery from 100% to 6% to gather some info for @Roland_Lorinczi

Updating drivers via windows is simple; all you need to do is windows update. Even if it says "no updates available", click that a few times with a little gap an it will fetch all updates as needed. After a couple times of finding no new updates you should be good.

The only Acer software I installed is Predator Sense.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @sri369 thank you. Copying all my personal files right now to another device so i can wipe the laptop and try this.
    If this doesn't work either i'll try windows 7.
    I refuse to try linux. I didn't buy a laptop like this with gtx 1060 to use it with linux :) so last attempts...after these I'm out...

Instructions for FIX

• badaltharayil
    edited June 2018
    @sri369: i could not find legacy boot mode in bios and how to set partition as mbr
  • sri369
    @sri369: i could not find legacy boot mode in bios and how to set partition as mbr
    Go the page under bios that lists boot devices. It should be there to set boot mode to legacy.

Before you do this, backup data from primary hard disk, and have your windows bootable usb ready. Doing this will not load windows on your primary, until you set it back to GPT.
    Also, set master password on your bios. You'll need to first turn off secure boot mode, and then change it to legacy.

Setting partitions as MBR will come in after you delete all partitions on hard disk as part of windows installation.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • sri369
    @sri369 thank you. Copying all my personal files right now to another device so i can wipe the laptop and try this.
    If this doesn't work either i'll try windows 7.
    I refuse to try linux. I didn't buy a laptop like this with gtx 1060 to use it with linux :) so last attempts...after these I'm out...
    @Roland_Lorinczi Try windows 10 first please. I am sure it would work. Plus you could even return the laptop with whatever 10 you have on. If you return with 7 they could argue that 7 isn't compatible and hence this issue. Saying you this since you are close to the return window.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @sri369 Actually I myself am out of the regular return window. That's 14 days here and I got the units May 22nd...But if they're faulty i read up on laws and as long as i let them now within 2 months of the purchase, it's under warranty and they need to help...only thing is there's a hierarchy of troubleshooting they have: they can try to fix first and then replace or refund....and those procedures are such a hassle...
    They end up either 1: not doing anything to it, perhaps doing the temporary pinhole button reset for it just so it can happen again, but still keep it for two weeks in repairs, or replace some part that has nothing to do with anything as a troubleshooting attempt and meanwhile scratch it all up real good and say it was like that when they got it :)
    I hope the windows 10 trick works with the MBR instead of GPT...still...I shouldn't have to do that.....but if it works i'll still probably be better off......fingers crossed for now...

Instructions for FIX

• badaltharayil
    edited June 2018
    @sri369: this seems like the only boot mode i have shownnin my bios. I am sorry to bother you I am not so good at these things
This discussion has been closed.