No bootable device (ACER ASPIRE 3 (A315-31-C0A7)

zaforiqbal
zaforiqbal Member Posts: 64 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 20 in 2019 Archives
Hi
4-5 days ago when I was trying to install Ubuntu in my ACER ASPIRE 3 (A315-31-C0A7 model number N17Q2) but it was error saying media file corrupted and now its showing no bootable device I also tried with another bootable pendrive installed Ubuntu bit it's showing default bootable device missing. I tried everything I got from online but nothing works. My hdd is shown in boot information menu. But it's not showing in boot menu. Please help I am desperate I bought this laptop from Flipkart on 26 May 2018.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    zaforiqbal
    Please follow the instructions in the below mentioned weblink to install Ubuntu
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/535157/error-trying-to-install-ubuntu-in-aspire-a51

Credits to  :
    JordanB 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • zaforiqbal
    Sharanji said:
    zaforiqbal
    Please follow the instructions in the below mentioned weblink to install Ubuntu
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/535157/error-trying-to-install-ubuntu-in-aspire-a51

Credits to  :
    JordanB 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    I already tried this but not working...... unable to boot from anything even from liveusb..... it's showing default bootable device missing 😞😞
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    https://community.acer.com/en/profile/zaforiqbal

What was the installed operating system when you got the machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    so when you F12 with the usb stick plugged in and you choose to boot from usb you are getting "default boot device missing"?  If that is the case, the USB stick is not bootable and your laptop then goes to it's hdd (and that is what is giving this message).  Do you have access to another pc and can verify that the usb stick is or is not bootable?
  • zaforiqbal
    No I don't have access to another pc to verify that. But I have formated it many times and I don't think that problem is with my USB coz at 1st it was not detected and then I tried again and now system is detacting it.... also I tried windows 10 that time also USB wasn't detected.
  • zaforiqbal
    JackE said:
    https://community.acer.com/en/profile/zaforiqbal

What was the installed operating system when you got the machine? Jack E/NJ
    At first it was endless os 3 and then I tried Installing Ubuntu 18 and it's failed saying media file is corrupted.
  • Gawain
    even without a hdd in the machine, if the usb drive is bootable, it'll boot - the error you stated is an hdd error, not a live boot error.  I'd advise for starters you use a friends pc and make another bootable usb stick and verify it works on theirs first.
  • zaforiqbal
    Gawain said:
    even without a hdd in the machine, if the usb drive is bootable, it'll boot - the error you stated is an hdd error, not a live boot error.  I'd advise for starters you use a friends pc and make another bootable usb stick and verify it works on theirs first.
    IlI' try it. Thanks
  • JackE
    edited June 2018
    Your Ubuntu installation stick must also be GPT-partitioned (not MBR) FAT32 formatted or it will not be recognized by UEFI bootstrapper. Your HDD will also not be recognized unless you change to UEFI bootstrapper (not legacy BIOS mode) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zaforiqbal
    JackE said:
    Your Ubuntu installation stick must also be GPT-partitioned (not MBR) FAT32 formatted or it will not be recognized by UEFI bootstrapper. Jack E/NJ
    My usb is GPT-partitioned (not MBR) FAT32 formatted and it's also recognised by UEFI bootstrapper. But when I am trying to boot from it system says "Default boot device missing" what should I do. Is there any problem with my disc partition?
  • JackE
    If endless was originally configured to boot in BIOS legacy mode then it won't be recognized by UEFI bootstrapper. If you want to try to dual boot both endless and ubuntu in BIOS legacy mode, then your Ubuntu stick should be MBR-partitioned FAT-32 BIOS.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zaforiqbal
    JackE said:
    If endless was originally configured to boot in BIOS legacy mode then it won't be recognized by UEFI bootstrapper. If you want to try to dual boot both endless and ubuntu in BIOS legacy mode, then your Ubuntu stick should be MBR-partitioned FAT-32 BIOS.  Jack E/NJ
    But my system has recognised my usb only problem is it's not booting from USB and HDD is not showing. In boot information menu its showing my HDD  but under menu its only showing my pendrive.
  • JackE
    >>> In boot information menu its showing my HDD  but under menu its only showing my pendrive. >>>

What does your BIOS boot tab look like? Please post a screenshot if possible. Is it in UEFI or Legacy BIOS mode? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zaforiqbal
    edited June 2018
    My BIOS is fixed in UEFI mode as I know.

• zaforiqbal
    JackE said:
    >>> In boot information menu its showing my HDD  but under menu its only showing my pendrive. >>>

What does your BIOS boot tab look like? Please post a screenshot if possible. Is it in UEFI or Legacy BIOS mode? Jack E/NJ

My BIOS is fixed in UEFI mode as I know.
  • Gawain
    right, basically when you tried to boot/install from usb ubuntu originally (and that was a failed install hence your corrupt media message), it didn't install but wiped any reference to a legitimate .efi file on your hdd (which is why you get the no bootable device message and it is not listed in the bios which is in uefi mode).  Your usb won't be listed there either (and its not on the laptop i am writing from).  You really do need to get a different usb stick which you know is bootable (and not corrupted) and boot from that using F12 on startup.  That is what you need to do as a first step in trouble shooting.
  • JackE
    Did you disable secure boot? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zaforiqbal
    Gawain said:
    right, basically when you tried to boot/install from usb ubuntu originally (and that was a failed install hence your corrupt media message), it didn't install but wiped any reference to a legitimate .efi file on your hdd (which is why you get the no bootable device message and it is not listed in the bios which is in uefi mode).  Your usb won't be listed there either (and its not on the laptop i am writing from).  You really do need to get a different usb stick which you know is bootable (and not corrupted) and boot from that using F12 on startup.  That is what you need to do as a first step in trouble shooting.
    I have inserted my Ubuntu bootable USB stick now and it's listed. But again it's showing a error massage default bootable device missing. Please see the images I have clicked
  • zaforiqbal
    These are the images please see
  • JackE
    Did you disable secure boot or was it like that when you acquired the machine? If you disabled it, then re-enable secure boot to see if the internal drive is now recognized. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ