How can I Factory Reset an Acer Aspire E15 ?

Robert98
Robert98 Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
How do I factory reset an Acer Aspire E 15 ?
I already tried it via Settings and Acer Recovery Management, but it always failed at 1% and no changes were made.
Does somebody know another way of Factory resetting an Acer?
It currently runs Windows 10.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Do you get any error messages? If none, you can try the ALT+F10 method outside Windows but it will be for the original factory installed Windows version if the hidden recovery partition is still intact. First, F2 into the BIOS menu and make sure D2D recovery option is enabled. Then save settings and exit. Reboot and immediately press and hold ALT key while tapping the F10 key till the recovery screen appears then follow instructions. I'd probably choose to see if refresh worked first but you can completely install a factory fresh copy of the original Windows version. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robert98

Tinkerer

It says Factory reset error. No changes were made.
    I tried the alt F10 and the other method. Both didnt work.

• JackE
    What your E15's full model number E5-????? What was the factory Windows version? What is the reason for doing the reset? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robert98

Tinkerer

Ist E5-575G-73AA, it was Windows 10, I wanna reset because it crashes sometimes, freezes and cant run certain games anymore.
  • JackE
    >>>I tried the alt F10 and the other method. Both didnt work.>>>

Not a particularly good sign for the HDD or SSD. Do you know which one you have? F2 back into the BIOS menu. Is the HDD or SSD fully recognized & described in the Info tab? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Robert98

Tinkerer

Theres a sticker on my Laptop which sys 1000 GB HDD.
    Is the info tab the one on the far left? And how do i see if ist fully recognized and described?
  • Robert98

Tinkerer

It also sometimes just randomly crashes, showing a blue screen with a " :( " face saying that there was an error and that it needs t be restarted.
  • JackE
    >>>how do i see if ist fully recognized and described?>>>

Turn the machine off. The turn it on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. In the first menu screen, under the Information tab, the HDD should be listed with its serial number. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robert98

Tinkerer

Yes, it is listed there.
  • JackE
    Now go to the BIOS Main tab and check that D2D recovery option is enabled. Then F10 to save settings and exit. Then do a cold boot and try the ALT + F10 recovery again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robert98

Tinkerer

Doesnt work either. The reset always stops and then it Restarts without doing any changes. 
  • JackE
    Press Winkey + R. Enter "diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes. How are the disk partitions described? Screenshot would be best if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robert98

Tinkerer

Screenshot doesnt work, ist apparently 10 characters too big. But it says that everything is flawless.
  • JackE
    So all the partitiona are "healthy" --- recovery, system reserved & C:? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robert98

Tinkerer

Yes they are.
  • JackE
    >>>It says Factory reset error. No changes were made. I tried the alt F10 and the other method. Both didnt work.>>>

Instead of reset, have you tried any of the advanced options repair techniques before trying to reset? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robert98

Tinkerer

I tried some but Nothing happened.
    Can you suggest which of these could work?
  • JackE
    What do you mean by "nothing happened"? You should've at least gotten an error message with the ALT+F10 cold boot method (this means NOT from the Windows advanced options). What you want to try to do from the ALT+F10 Advanced Options, is to repair the system. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robert98

Tinkerer

It Always just says that there was an error while resetting and that the changes are made undone.
  • JackE
    If you have any non-Microsoft virus scanners enabled/installed (like McAfee or Norton) please disable/uninstall them. Windows defender is all that's really needed. After uninstalling, press Win key + R. Enter "diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes. Right click on the C: volume. Choose properties. Click tools tab. Check the volume for errors. Report back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ