Increase GPU Volts

Sandgroper
Sandgroper Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
G9 793   GTX1070
Is it possible to increase the voltage to the GPU? During games with high settings I sometimes get throttled due to performance limit power. 
All temps are OK and I have undervolted CPU by .095. Will this undervolt affect the GPU?
I've tried MSI Afterburn but it can't access the volts..
Thanks

Best Answers

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    My own G9-793 has no issue, CPU is undervolted (-132.8mV), GPU is stock as it never exceeds 80C.  No way to increase the GPU voltage limits without a custom BIOS, you could try to increase the CPU undervolt as this will help to reduce the overall power consumption, equally some chips perform better than others.  If using Throttle stop you can either try disabling Turbo or reducing the Turbo Ratio Limits by 2 for the active cores, this will effectively reduce the Turbo boost and the power consumption.  GTX 1070 on my G9-793 is well behaved never seen any red flags with HWinfo64 even under stress tests.

Q-6
  • Sandgroper

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thanks. I'll try reducing the turbo ratio as this wouldn't affect the games.. I can have a higher CPU offset but HWInfo reports too many l2 cache errors. Everything still runs stable but I guess if there is too many L2 cache errors it will slow things down..
    For a great Gaming laptop which this is Acer should allow a little Adjustments in the bios..
    It plays Witcher III  great at 4K.. Just Playing Final Fantasy XV at 4K that I noticed the problem.

Thanks again..

Answers

• Queen6
    Answer ✓
    My own G9-793 has no issue, CPU is undervolted (-132.8mV), GPU is stock as it never exceeds 80C.  No way to increase the GPU voltage limits without a custom BIOS, you could try to increase the CPU undervolt as this will help to reduce the overall power consumption, equally some chips perform better than others.  If using Throttle stop you can either try disabling Turbo or reducing the Turbo Ratio Limits by 2 for the active cores, this will effectively reduce the Turbo boost and the power consumption.  GTX 1070 on my G9-793 is well behaved never seen any red flags with HWinfo64 even under stress tests.

Q-6
  • Sandgroper

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thanks. I'll try reducing the turbo ratio as this wouldn't affect the games.. I can have a higher CPU offset but HWInfo reports too many l2 cache errors. Everything still runs stable but I guess if there is too many L2 cache errors it will slow things down..
    For a great Gaming laptop which this is Acer should allow a little Adjustments in the bios..
    It plays Witcher III  great at 4K.. Just Playing Final Fantasy XV at 4K that I noticed the problem.

Thanks again..
  • Queen6

Thanks again..

That's the major difference, my Predator 17 having a 1080p display, pushing 4K is way more work for the GPU.  You certainly have nothing to loose by reducing the power draw.  You could also consider playing at a lower res, unless your using a large TV etc.

Yeah the BIOS is really limited, same wish Acer would offer an unlocked version for those that want to dig deeper..

Q-6
  • Sandgroper

Tinkerer

Yeah I'm using a 49" TV..  I could still use 1080p. But 4K looks a little better on the screen