Acer Predator 17 G9‑793‑79V5 M2 SSD Type

PaliHustlaOD
PaliHustlaOD Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi.

I just ordered a Acer Predator 17 G9‑793‑79V5 / NH.Q1TAA.001.

I noticed the laptop has a x 128GB M2 SSD in RAID 0.

What connector type is the M2? 2280? I'm not too familiar with the M2 cards, but I'd like to upgrade it. Can the BIOS be accessed to change it from RAID to ACHI? I'd like to put in a 1TB SSD M2, but need to know the connector type, so I can order the right card. I should be able to just install Windows with 1 M2 card in it and break the RAID array, right?

Thanks!

Best Answers

• PaliHustlaOD

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    ven98 said:
    If the laptop comes with 2 m.2 ssds, then you have no more free slots as they are occupied by the 2 ssds. As there is an ssd on the 2nd slot, then most likely it is attached with the bracket and screws, so you won't need to purchase them.
    I received the laptop today.

I opened it up and there's 2 M2 SSDs with the same model number. Lite On CV1-8B128.

http://www.liteonssd.com/en/PRODUCT/client-sata-ssd/m2-sata/cv1-series.html

Lite On's website says it's a 2280 Form Factor.

So can I just buy a 1TB m2 ssd (CT1050MX300SSD4) and remove the 2 SSDs and leave this one in there instead? I'll do an acronis backup or use Acer Care and restore the partition back. So I'll remove both and put 1 M2 SSD 2280. Will that work?

Just want to make sure before I buy the SSD and it won't work, you know?

Thank you again, for your time.
  • PaliHustlaOD

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    So I received in my M2 SSD a few days ago and finally had a chance today to mess with my laptop. I made a bootable Acronis USB and backed up my partition to my 2TB Hybrid SSD drive that I installed. I removed the 2 M2 SSDs and installed my 1TB M2 SSD. Plugged in my flash drive and restored that Acronis partition to the new drive. Laptop booted up fine but saw that my C drive was only 256GB (due to the 2 x 128GB M2 SSDs that were initially in the laptop). I downloaded and installed AOMEI Partition Assistant and merged the unallocated partition with the C drive. Laptop restarted to finish the merging process. However, It would boot up with an error, I'd press F1 and it would load up the OS. I powered off my laptop and plugged in my flash drive again. This time, I restored only the C partition and the EFI system partition. Restore finished and my laptop is fully using my 1TB SSD! I retained all my settings, files and did not have to restore anything else.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    If the laptop comes with a single m.2 ssd, I don't think it will be in raid 0 with the hdd as it would be unreasonable, but yes replacing the SSD will break the array if there is such(make sure you create a bootable recovery media from windows before swapping the SSDs). The laptop should have 2 M.2 ports, one is 2280 PCIe/Nvme(it will be occupied by the 128gb ssd) and the other is 22110. You can add an m.2 2280 ssd there, but you will need this bracket 33.Q04N5.001 and screws 1x 86.Q04N5.015(to hold the bracket on the SSD) and 1x 86.RGV0U.002(to hold the ssd + bracket on the motherboard).

The BIOS is very limited and it doesn't have an option to change from RAID to ACHI.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• PaliHustlaOD

Tinkerer

ven98 said:
    If the laptop comes with a single m.2 ssd, I don't think it will be in raid 0 with the hdd as it would be unreasonable, but yes replacing the SSD will break the array if there is such(make sure you create a bootable recovery media from windows before swapping the SSDs). The laptop should have 2 M.2 ports, one is 2280 PCIe/Nvme(it will be occupied by the 128gb ssd) and the other is 22110. You can add an m.2 2280 ssd there, but you will need this bracket 33.Q04N5.001 and screws 1x 86.Q04N5.015(to hold the bracket on the SSD) and 1x 86.RGV0U.002(to hold the ssd + bracket on the motherboard).

The BIOS is very limited and it doesn't have an option to change from RAID to ACHI.
    I meant to say in the initial post 2 x 128GB M2 SSD. Must've forgot to press the 2.

So I'm able to put in just 1 M2 2280, as long as I purchase the brackets/screws? Where can I purchase them? From Acer directly?

Thank you!
  • ven98
    If the laptop comes with 2 m.2 ssds, then you have no more free slots as they are occupied by the 2 ssds. As there is an ssd on the 2nd slot, then most likely it is attached with the bracket and screws, so you won't need to purchase them.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• PaliHustlaOD

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    ven98 said:
    I received the laptop today.

I opened it up and there's 2 M2 SSDs with the same model number. Lite On CV1-8B128.

http://www.liteonssd.com/en/PRODUCT/client-sata-ssd/m2-sata/cv1-series.html

Lite On's website says it's a 2280 Form Factor.

So can I just buy a 1TB m2 ssd (CT1050MX300SSD4) and remove the 2 SSDs and leave this one in there instead? I'll do an acronis backup or use Acer Care and restore the partition back. So I'll remove both and put 1 M2 SSD 2280. Will that work?

Just want to make sure before I buy the SSD and it won't work, you know?

Thank you again, for your time.
  • ven98
    Removing the 2 SSDs will break the RAID 0 array. You should have no issues after installing the new SSD, unless something else happens.

Here is a previous thread I just found: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/538010/triton-700-upgrade-from-2x256gb-raid-0-to-a-single-512gb-samsung-evo-pro
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• PaliHustlaOD

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    So I received in my M2 SSD a few days ago and finally had a chance today to mess with my laptop. I made a bootable Acronis USB and backed up my partition to my 2TB Hybrid SSD drive that I installed. I removed the 2 M2 SSDs and installed my 1TB M2 SSD. Plugged in my flash drive and restored that Acronis partition to the new drive. Laptop booted up fine but saw that my C drive was only 256GB (due to the 2 x 128GB M2 SSDs that were initially in the laptop). I downloaded and installed AOMEI Partition Assistant and merged the unallocated partition with the C drive. Laptop restarted to finish the merging process. However, It would boot up with an error, I'd press F1 and it would load up the OS. I powered off my laptop and plugged in my flash drive again. This time, I restored only the C partition and the EFI system partition. Restore finished and my laptop is fully using my 1TB SSD! I retained all my settings, files and did not have to restore anything else.

• Jozac05
    Jozac05 Member Posts: 42 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Bottom slot is 2280 PCIe/Nvme M key only
    Upper slot is m
    .2 2280 ssd that supports M key and B key.
    I installed Samsung 960evo 1tb nvme and Crucial mx300 1050gb 2280 m.2 SSD. My os is installed on my nvme drive. On top of that I installed 2 seagate backup plus 5tb mechanical drives (15mm thick drive). 
  • Jozac05
    My Samsung 960evo 1tb nvme ssd and Crucial mx300 1050gb ssd didn't came with ssd bracket, but managed to improvised to keep the top m.2 2280 in place. 

• fxswan
    fxswan Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

Thanks, I watched your vid and left some comments....really liked what you did....I noticed above it looks like you put thermal tape over the SSDs.....I was wondering about that in your vid what you did. Samsung says the 2TB sticks should work also so may try that as well....thanks again...
  • Jozac05
    You're welcome.
    I think samsung can squeeze a 3tb nvme on a 22110 form factor m.2, but it's gonna be one of the most expensive nvme drives in the market.
    Yes, i think 2tb ssd would work.
    Both my Samsung and Crucial m.2 has thermal pads on each sides. I also have some copper shims and I'm planning to stick it on top of the thermal pads. The samsung nvme ssd is a very hot drive specially when you're writing files on it.
  • dr3ww_14
    dr3ww_14 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    I am planning on doing the same thing. 

1) removing both 128gb raid 0 sticks
    2) adding a single 1-2tb m.2 stick

When it comes to backing up the OS and data from the two 128gb sticks, what software do you recommend so i could clone it to the new 1-2tb m.2? 
    I'd like to keep everything from the old sticks. 

Thanks,

- WessenS