what size is the Acer Predator 17 cdbay

SatansTheory
SatansTheory Member Posts: 92 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I'm looking to put in a third hard drive in the CD Bay but I'm not sure what size to order for the hardware or if there's anything special so it doesn't look funny and matches the setup. 

It's coming in on Friday will I need to update all the BIOS and drivers out of the box or will it be up to date I've seen a lot of problems with thermal paste not being on right and such problems with Acer's laptop. Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated all mainly be using it for some light gaming like World of Warcraft probably nothing too high end maybe some pubg

Answers

• SatansTheory
    It's the G9-793-79V5
  • SatansTheory
    I'm also thinking about swapping in a samsung 960 into it as well. Is that difficult 
  • SatansTheory
    Anyone help?
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Predator 17 has 2 x M.2 SSD slots one nVME, one SATA, a third 2.5" SATA drive bay occupied by HDD.  It's possible to add a 4th drive in the CD drive caddy with an adaptor I believe, however only SATA.  Samsung 960 will be waisted unless it's installed in the primary nVME M.2 slot

Thermals are fine on my Predator 17 (G9-793) 7700HQ, GTX 1070, 32GB RAM, undervolted by -133mV with ThrottleStop, drivers will update as needed, BIOS wait and I've stopped at 1.13 for now and will assess pro's & con's of 1.14

Q-6
  • SatansTheory
    Thanks for the response! Yes I planned on replacing the raid config that seems the only downside to this system. I was looking for the cdrom bay size to know what kind of adapter to get to look correctly. Also not sure if this would cause instability requiring more power with 3 ssd drives or a heat issue. I also bought a additional 16 gig 2x8 of ram. Not sure I'll need it but figured if I'm spending this much why not. 
  • SatansTheory
    Queen6 said:
    Predator 17 has 2 x M.2 SSD slots one nVME, one SATA, a third 2.5" SATA drive bay occupied by HDD.  It's possible to add a 4th drive in the CD drive caddy with an adaptor I believe, however only SATA.  Samsung 960 will be waisted unless it's installed in the primary nVME M.2 slot

Thermals are fine on my Predator 17 (G9-793) 7700HQ, GTX 1070, 32GB RAM, undervolted by -133mV with ThrottleStop, drivers will update as needed, BIOS wait and I've stopped at 1.13 for now and will assess pro's & con's of 1.14

Q-6
    Can you post a pick of your Throttle Stop settings please?
  • Queen6
    edited May 2018
    Queen6 said:

Q-6
    Can you post a pick of your Throttle Stop settings please?

Each CPU is unique so the exact undervolt values will differ.  My G9-793 can drop as low as -150.4mV, to ensure stability I generally opt for -132.8mV.  You should also defer the start up of ThrottleStop by two minutes to ensure no issue with PredatorSense as it uses the Intel XTU service to read CPU frequency etc.

CPU Core & cache should be set to the same Offset Voltage

I've not set up ThrottleStop to start Speed Shift as I have the notebook set to Best Performance when plugged into the mains supply

Stock thermal paste the notebook can run Prime95 Small FFT torture test without throttling CPU Core & Cache undervolted to 132.8mV, fans set to auto, CoolBoot is on (ambient 24C, notebook is raised on a cooler for maximum airflow)

Q-6

• SatansTheory
    Thank you I was worried. I got mine in and it was running around 92C on a full load. I followed this runs at 80c only under clocking by 120.1, I hate I have to under clock a brand new computer for it to not be dangerous when I spent so much. 
  • Jozac05
    Jozac05 Member Posts: 42 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    I've installed the Samsung 960evo 1tb as my main drive, then another Crucial mx300 1050gb as my gaming drive. 
    Then installed 2 seagate backup plus 5tb high capacity mechanical drives. The dvdrom caddy i'm using is the 9mm. Then made some few modifications like rewiring the female sata to inverted position and aligning the 15mm 5tb hdd on the middle of the dvdrom caddy tray to fit it perfectly in the dvdrom bay.

• Jozac05
    Jozac05 Member Posts: 42 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    The doable upgrades for predator 17 g9. My 12tb storage setup. https://youtu.be/QPhrSD4wMaQ
  • SatansTheory
    So i have it set to -125.00 and the cache set as well to match. Im still hitting 91 Degree's while playing fornite with my son.  I have already installed another 32GB of Ram, and a 2TB SSD Samsung 860 so i will not be able to return them to Amazon.. What should I do? Undervolting doesnt seem to be helping and i have a fan cooler for the bottom of it.
  • Queen6
    edited May 2018
    So i have it set to -125.00 and the cache set as well to match. Im still hitting 91 Degree's while playing fornite with my son.  I have already installed another 32GB of Ram, and a 2TB SSD Samsung 860 so i will not be able to return them to Amazon.. What should I do? Undervolting doesnt seem to be helping and i have a fan cooler for the bottom of it. 

Try dissabling Turbo on one of the ThrottleStop profiles and check the FPS, if you can run without Turbo this will make a significant difference to CPU temperature.  You can also reduce the Turbo frequency with ThrottleStop - FIVR - Turbo Ratio Limits, reduce each setting by two (2), no point to go below 28 as this equates to Turbo being off at 2.8GHz.

ThrottleStop is logging the maximum temp, to see the average use HWinfo64, log the data to file then average the temp in Excel or the likes.  You'll likely find the temperature is in the low to mid 80's and of no concern.  next step is to replace the thermal paste on the CPU / GPU, personally I wont do this until out of warranty or the system is throttling.

This is a run off Hellblade at max settings, you can see the average is in the mid 70's, with the occasional peak into the mid to high 80's

Looks like your notebook is idling with a low load in the low 40's centigrade, certainly comparable to my own G9-793.  Notebook is on a cooler, however the fans are off and the load potentially a little more, ambient being 25C.

Try a restart, zero ThrottleStop (CLR) then run TS Bench with size set to 1024M, post the result and I'll do the same, should be comparative outside of your boot SSD - My G9-793 spec is 7700HQ, GTX 1070, 32GB RAM

Q-6