Pay for system recovery media?

HStark
HStark Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
My issue is simple: I need the system recovery media that allows me to reinstall the Acer customized version of Windows 10 ,with the support of functions like "overclocking" in Predator Sense software.

So I did a fresh install after my PC came back from repair.When it came back there's not only bloatware but the technician also booted the PC and did the first time setup. I'm not comfortable using it and since I have a Windows 10 Pro license I formatted the drive and did a fresh install. I then downloaded all missing drivers and software including the Predator Sense.

Everything works great except the overclock options are missing from the Sense, and the utility that originally came with the PC that checks for BIOS and driver update automatically is also gone. I was told(by customer support) that the reason for options such as overclocking was missing because some sort of system integration, which was made in factory to Windows, were gone after my re-installation, and my only option was to re-install my OS with an Acer recovery media.

It didn't bother me that much until recently I wanted to do some performance intensive tasks on my PC, which the overclock option should help. So I looked for the recovery image on Acer's websites and apart from the eRecovery portal that did not work, there's no recovery image to be found. It didn't come with my PC either, which was confirmed by customer support. I was told that there's a 3- month "Software Warranty" for my PC which already expired and my only option, to acquire some sort of Acer recovery media, was to purchase a $44 USB drive that has the recovery media in it.
This is just ridiculous.

My experience with Acer's computer was awesome, I enjoyed my Predator and their hardware support(when my motherboard had overheating issues and my GPU glitches) was great. Now this happened an all my trust to Acer is gone. I purchased this $1600 laptop, and the recovery media not only didn't come with the computer, but requires an extra $44 purchase?

I post this post mainly to address this issue, and I would appreciate any kind of suggestions and help from the community. Also, I have my chat with customer support if anybody need it.

If Acer doesn't give any solution to this issue, I will definitely file more series complaints.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    HStark 

Sorry to hear bout your experience, just to clarify, the Acer Forum Discussions were designed as a peer to peer support community where Acer users help other Acer users. This community is not a direct portal to Customer service, although you will notice that some Acer employees interact with members here.

Acer does not ship recovery disc with the computer. Your computer is shipped with a recovery partition to create the recovery disc once you purchase the computer. 

Please send a private message to Acer-Manny with the serial number of your device so that they can check the case notes and help you with further options to resolve the issue.
    https://community.acer.com/en/messages/add/Acer-Manny 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru

Hi HStark,

I am very sorry to hear that you’re having problems with your Acer product, we are always available to help with what is at our reach. In this case the recovery media did came with your PC, not fiscally but came on the HDD as a recovery partition, when you 1st boot and setup up your computer you get a notification/ tip to create a copy of this recovery partition in case you may need it in the future if you encounter any possible O.S. problems (Virus, Windows updates issues etc.) you will need a 16GB empty USB drive to create the recovery media.

You do have a 90 day software warranty for any software problems that are not cause by user, in this case you modified the original O.S. and clean installed a Windows 10 Pro (this is not covered under that warranty as is user modification), because you clean install Windows 10 Pro you erase the recovery partition also from the HDD and that’s why the agent offered you to purchase a $44 USB drive as a second option.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause,

Acer-Manny