The camera on my Acer Switch 10 shows just a black screen.

glh
glh Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
When turning on the camera, I get a black screen. I push the "take picture button" and get error message 0xA00F4292.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the camera to no avail.  I was told to update the camera driver, but I did not find one on the Acer site. This computer originally came with Windows 8.1, but I upgraded to Windows 10.  The camera did still work.  It has not been working on Facebook video or Skype for some time.  I just recently tried to take a picture, and got this error message.  How do I fix this problem?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    >>>It has not been working on Facebook video or Skype for some time.  >>>

Can you guess how long "some time" is? One hour? One week? One month? One year? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• glh

Tinkerer

At least a couple months.

• JackE
    Too long for checking if it was caused by a Win10 update. Open Device Mgr. Do you see any red or yellow device driver warnings? Make sure you unhide all devices. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• glh

Tinkerer

There are no warnings.  There is no camera listed in Device Manager.  I opened my fullsize computer to compare (thinking camera was under something else), but no it was under camera.  So on the Aspire, there is no camera listed.  Under System Devices, I found a Camera Sensor, so I am updating that now.

• glh

Tinkerer

After checking to update, it says," Windows has determined the the best driver for this device is already installed.  There may be better divers on Windows update or on the device manufacturer's website."

• JackE
    The camera is usually listed under imaging devices folder in Device Manager. Make sure you unhide all devices. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• glh

Tinkerer

Under Imaging Devices there are two items.  One is a printer, the other is: Intel(R) Imaging Signal Processor 2400.  Nothing else.
  • JackE
    Right click the Intel 2400. Left click "update driver". Select browse your computer for a driver and manually install it. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• glh

Tinkerer

I updated the driver and installed and restarted computer.  I tried out the camera.  It comes up with a black screen.  I am able to click for a photo, and I hear a click.  Then an error appears: 0xA00F4292(PhotoCaptureStartTimeout)
  • JackE
    Are you sure the driver you manually installed came from your own computer's hard drive?  In other words, did you block Windows  from automatically searching for the driver? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• glh

Tinkerer

I was not sure, so I did it all over again. It comes to a screen that says, The best drivers for your device are already installed.  Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed.  There may be better drivers on Windows Update or on the device manufacturer's website. Intel (R) Imaging Signal Processor 2400.
  • JackE
    >>>>It comes to a screen that says, The best drivers for your device are already installed.  >>>

That's NOT the screen you want. Right click on the Intel 2400 again. Choose update driver. In the next screen choose "BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE" not search automatically!!!!! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• glh

Tinkerer

I am to the screen after "browse my computer...."  It says, "search for drivers in this location:  C:\Users\Gayle\Documents ....
    or below: Let me pick from a list available drivers on my computer"  Which do I click?

• JackE
    Try the first one. See if it lists anything that seems remotely related to the Intel 2400.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• glh

Tinkerer

When I click the first one, which list everything on my computer, it searches and and comes up with the answer I wrote at post above at 4:49.

• glh

Tinkerer

If I select second option, it comes to a screen that says: select the device driver that you want to install for this hardware. Click NExt. There is only one device listed, Intel (R) imaging Signal PRocessor 2400.  

It also says, if you have a disk that contins the driver you want to install, click "Have Disk" and there is a button to push.  I do not have a disk.
  • JackE
    Try it. It may be the old one if undated. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• glh

Tinkerer

I clicked it, and it installed it and said that my computer needed a restart. I restarted it, and tried the camera again.  It came up with a black screen. I was still able to click the button and I heard a camera click, and then this came on the screen:  Something went wrong. Try restarting your device; and the same error code as before 0xA00F4292.  

• glh

Tinkerer

I tried restarting again, but with the same results.
  • JackE
    >>>This computer originally came with Windows 8.1, but I upgraded to Windows 10.  The camera did still work.>>>

At this point, gotta know the Switch 10's full model number. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ