How can I install a UEFI firmware update blocked by system?

JW300
JW300 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
System Acer R5-471T, Windows 10 Home 10.0.17134

After the April 2018 Windows 10 update, the system is notifying a device driver problem for "Acer Inc. System Firmware 1.12", specifically:
"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

"{Access Denied}
A process has requested access to an object, but has not been granted those access rights."

Event logs suggest this device driver update was done at around the same time as the major Windows update, though the firmware files date from November 2017.
When I tried to re-install, I got Code 14s (restart required to complete) after successive restarts.  A roll-back installs a Microsoft generic driver. 

Is there a way to fix this?  What problems will I have if I just disable the driver?
I notice there's a recent version (1.13) on the support site, probably too recent to have reached the Windows Update Catalog.  Is this likely to face the same problem on a future update? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    What was the device? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JW300
    The "device" name is "Acer Inc. System Firmware 1.12"
  • JackE
    Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow device driver warnings? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,085 Trailblazer
    JW300 said:
    The "device" name is "Acer Inc. System Firmware 1.12"
    Hi,
    You could also run the Trouble shooter for Windows Update, type Troubleshoot at start, click Windows Update under troubleshoot and run it, it will fix the problem.

• JW300
    JackE said:
    Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow device driver warnings? Jack E/NJ
    There was a warning triangle with exclamation mark and the Device status explanations in my first post. 

• JackE
    >>>"Acer Inc. System Firmware 1.12>>>

First check if an Apr 18 Win10update restore point was created. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JW300
    There was no restore point.  When I set up the system 2 years ago, I didn't know MS had System Restore turned off by default on Win10. (It's enabled now). 

The update had left the laptop unable to boot.  That's why it was passed to me by a family member.  After repair using Recovery USB tools, it presented a boot menu with default "Windows 10" and optional "Windows 10 Home", which pointed to "Windows.old" (the previous version?)  I deleted the timer setting so that it booted straight into default.
  • JackE
    @JW300>>>After repair using Recovery USB tools, >>>

I assume this means that you didn't try to re-set the machine to a factory-fresh Win10 state using the ALT+F10 cold boot recovery method from the hidden ACER recovery partition as shown in the video below. If not,  I suggest that you first press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds till the machine completely shuts off. Then turn it back on and ***immediately*** press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key till the recovery appears. Then follow the video instructions. I suggest first trying a refresh while saving personal files to see if that works. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• JW300
     I tried a few things to try to restore booting, including a Reset, but just got an error ("There was a problem..no changes were made" or some such response).

Eventually, after following a procedure advised by a number of websites, I was able to get something to change.  I doubt it was any of the command-line instructions I copied, more likely I put it into a state from which the automatic repair could fix it (the first boot attempt produced an error screen with code 0xc0000001, but the next boot attempt succeeded). I was then left with a persistent notification of the device driver error (without any description). I wonder if one of those command-line instructions has caused the "Access denied" problem by overwriting some files and affecting permissions. 

Since the system seemed to be operating well enough, I disabled the driver (to stop the nag) and handed the laptop back to the owner.  If it comes back to me, I will try again to fix that problem.  Maybe a reset would be the simplest, though it does create more work restoring applications, if not data, and the Windows Update might reproduce the same booting issue if MS hasn't fixed it yet.  I could also try to manually update the "UEFI firmware" to V1.13, but am wary of such things since bricking a mobo some years ago.  Does the UEFI firmware installation carry any risk of that, or is it not really firmware in the BIOS sense?
  • JackE
    >>> Does the UEFI firmware installation carry any risk of that, or is it not really firmware in the BIOS sense?>>>

Yes, only worse now cuz a hidden reserve partition on the hard drive is involved before the BIOS hands things over to Windows. The failed factory re-set (sounds like maybe you did refresh to save personal files instead?) suggest this partition might've been corrupted. Some of the command line stuff you found like bootrec might get it partially back ---- enough to get the personal stuff copied off the drive. Then a full  factory set (clean erasing everything from the HDD)  will probably get it back to a factory-fresh state. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ