Acer Switch one SW1-011, Cannot ru an Ubuntu Live session

linuxbbas
linuxbbas Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 20 in 2020 Archives
Hi everybody,

I want to run a Live session of Ubuntu (16.04 or above). I tried in dissabling the Secure boot and with USB boot (USB and micro USB ports), I tried with an USB DVD reader but nothing works

I read many posts on this forum but I'm limited when posts talking about replacing EFI boot files. I want to try this and I'm not confortable to do this without a step by step procedure. My question is : is there existing a step by step procedure to do this safely?

I really want to use Ubuntu on this device !

Processor : Intel X5-Z8350 quad cores 1.44ghz
RAM : 4gigs
emmc ; 32gigs
Bios version : 1.09 64 bits
Windows 10 Home edition 64 bits

Thanks in advance!

Jean

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    1) download Ubuntu x64 iso version
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data *
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • linuxbbas

Tinkerer

Thanks Ironfly for your fast response, I'll try it tomorrow and I'll give you feedback!

Seems to be adapt to my level

Jean
  • linuxbbas

Tinkerer

I tried your procedure, when I boot from the USB Key made with rufus as you described, I saw some command lines appears at the bottom of the screen after that nothing happens :-(

Maybe I have to change the type of partition? What do you think?
  • IronFly
    Had you disable secure boot on BIOS?

• linuxbbas

Tinkerer

The first try I did the secure boot was Enabled. This time the Secure boot is Disabled and no command lines appears and nothing happens.

I try with Ubuntu Studio, same result
  • IronFly
    No other ideas
  • linuxbbas

Tinkerer

Thank you very much for your tips

I have another question about the Acer technicians, are they response sometimes to costumers questions? I read the alternative OS customers questions and I feel they won't solve these problems and I feel then Acer, in general, don't want support Open source. Am I alone to think in this way ?

Happy new year!

Jean
  • IronFly
    linux distro on Switch is not the easiest task and they don't so many requests about it (my opinion)
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    @linuxbbas @IronFly

I don't know if you have 32 bit UEFI and I don't know if the link below will help.  But I do think you might have Cherry Trail.

https://community.acer.com/de/discussion/533059/linux-auf-acer-one-10-s1003-installieren

https://translate.google.com/

Or maybe google search "Ubuntu Cherry Trail" or "linux cherry trail"

• linuxbbas

Tinkerer

Thanks JordanB

It seems really good but unfortunetly I don't have the necessary knowledge to do this :-(

Yes it is a Cherry trail from Intel, X5-Z8350, it is a Windows 10 64 bits and the UEFI Bios is a 64 bits too

Have a great day !

Jean
  • linuxbbas

Tinkerer

I succes to run a Live Fedora 27 session on my Switch :-) with some problems like no WiFi, no Bluetooth and no accelerometer but it works!

I'll try others Linux distros ?
  • JordanB
    I don't have the knowledge (or time to learn). The link below is about an Apollo Lake computer, but might have some things you can try.  Or maybe @Kmihalj can help.  I'm not sure if his tips on Apollo Lake can help you with your computer.  Sorry.  Good luck.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/534636/acer-spin-1-sp111-32n-cant-boot-any-linux-from-usb
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Might look here.

• linuxbbas

Tinkerer

Thanks padgett and JordanB for your responses. It's still not working with Ubuntu :-(

Have a great day!
  • padgett
    Same here but have not had much time to try - MANJARO seems to be the only one I've tried (many) that works. May have to gen up a Linux desktop sand try some other things.
  • linuxbbas

Tinkerer

I have a good news, Ubuntu 18.04 works in a Live session =). Touch screen works very well but  some things doesn't work like WiFi, Bluetooth an the acceleratometer (orientation). Any ideas to make them work?

Thanks guys for your help and have a great day!
  • JordanB
    edited May 2018
    @linuxbbas

Try reading @CupOfTea post(s).  That might give you the gist of it (for orientation and auto rotate).  @CupOfTea might have some suggestions for your other problems even though he/she has different model.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/534636/acer-spin-1-sp111-32n-cant-boot-any-linux-from-usb
  • padgett
    I do not know what changed but Ubuntu 18.04 amd64 boots just fine on my Apollo Lake Spin 1. So Manjaro and Kali 18-02 make three distros I can boot.
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    padgett said:
    I do not know what changed but Ubuntu 18.04 amd64 boots just fine on my Apollo Lake Spin 1. So Manjaro and Kali 18-02 make three distros I can boot.
    what is the kernel ver. on 18.04?
  • maatt
    maatt Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2019
    As of 2019:
    - works: keyboard, mouse, screen work. ubuntu and linux mint operational, too.
    - does not work: wifi (need usb wifi adapter), sound, camera

HeLp!

ACER - MAKE SOME LINUX DRIVERS.

Thanks.