W510 accessories needed

Are there plans to offer accessories for the W510 for mobile use ? The only accessory in the store is the dock and what is needed is a car charging cord. This should be simple since the power supply is 12v.

I also need a second charger but that is not listed either. Is the connector on the bottom the same as another model or is it special ?

There are a lot of tablets here and until the W510 came out I thought Android was the most flexible choice but am not so sure now.

So far have added TouchScan and the tab reads the bluetooth OBD-2 dongle just fine. I am having more trouble getting a rear view camera using EasyCap for a composite video input but the camera program does not seem to be able to recieve a third input. Any suggestions on a good program.

Finally have not yet figured out what if anything the "A-GPS" is. Bing maps found a location but is about five miles away. I may need a real sat-nav program like Delorme that can use a USB GPS (mine is recognized by a GPS-Info program but not Bing Maps.

The one real annoyance I have found with Windows 8 is the lack of easy configuration of ports and protocols and am thinking about reverting to either Windows 7 or dual booting Linux. Does the W510 support either, My Acer Aspire Netbooks with the Atom processor do. Any suggestions.

I do think that this has the capability of being a superior model for automotive use and can combine the multiple devices I need now but to do so really need a car charger cord.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Received a Microsoft response from Acer:

"We do not offer any accessories or adapters for travel. There are multiple third party companies that offer travel accessories, however Acer does not guarantee any of their products."

Since I do not know what the connector is and googling "Acer W510 charger" just results in inverters or obviously unusable items we seem to be SOL. Usually I am paid to be part of a beta program. If I did not feel driven to develop automotive applications for it now it would have been dumped but I really need a charger cord and connector, with that I can do anything.

Does anyone here know of any other device that uses the same bottom (dock) connector ? It is almost the same as a Viewsonic G-Tab but not quite.

• rock2me
    rock2me Member Posts: 5 New User

Where is a case? A power connector, keyboard, a dock....something, anything?

Acer. Not only are you losing out on potential revenue, you are angering customers that you already have. Get on the ball!!!

BTW - you must offer a method to charge via the USB port due to the placement of the current connector. It is really ridiculous to work around the current connector(bottom). Add a duplicate connector to either side and/or get me the keyboard doc

• oxfomosa
    oxfomosa Member Posts: 1 New User

i'm also looking for a usb charger for my iconia w510 tablet.

is there a 3rd party charger that is compatible?

is the bottom connector coatible with that of samsung galaxy or ipad?

please help...acer, anybody :-)

• padgett

You are not going to be able to charge via the USB because that is 5v and the W510 needs a 12v supply. This should make a car charger very simple but Acer insists on a custom and evidently proprietary docking connector.

One thing that enhances the usability of the iPhone/iPad/iPod is common connectors so that it is easy and profitable for thrird party vendos to make docking stations of all sorts (I am working on an automotive one).

However Windows Tablet makers are their own worst enemies because each insists on a cutom docking connector when what is needed is a common connector carrying power (all Clover Trail devices need 12v), HDMI, and USB. Containing a multiple USB powered hub would be a nice option as would an RJ-45 connection but those are "wants" rather than "musts".

Do think that one of the necessary items to changing the paradigm is a "universal low-cost dock" so that people can use different ones for different functions (e.q. office/auto/kitchen/family room) and different people with different tablets can use the sam docks. (/rant)

• Damreal
    Damreal Member Posts: 123 New User

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/SolarPortablePower/Inverters.jsp?cid=KW-Google_Eclipse_Automotive_Parts-Automotive-EnergyProductionStorage-Inverters_AD3&gclid=CLef78SbtLUCFSNqMgodoC4AaA

It's called a simple 36 dollar car inverter from any Canadian Tire or The Source ( Canada ) or any Radio Shack ( USA ) problem solved ..doesn't take a rocket science degree to figure that small hiccup out 

• padgett

$19 from Amazon or at the Mart at the Wall. Have inverters in 140W, 300W, and 1200W. I consider converting 12vdc to 110ac to 12vdc a kludge at best. Have considered just buying the travel adapter (if it were $30 instead of $50 I would), cutting the wire, and splicing in a filter/regulator, seems to be to only way to get a W510 dock connector.

• yohojones
    yohojones Member Posts: 11 New User

There is a lot of line noise with a cheap inverter. DC to DC would be much better.

• DonTom
    DonTom Member Posts: 1 New User

I assume you can buy another  AC adapter, cut the cable open and find the 12 volts that way and then make up your own DC adapter.  But remember, a car, with the engine running is more like 14.0 volts which might be a bit high for the W510. You might want to find a way to lower it a bit so the tablet only sees about the same voltage as the output of  AC adapter. Perhaps a resistor and a 12 volt zener diode.

Perhaps I will try it first and then have the value resistor that will work best with the 12 volt zenor. I would like a 12 volt charger too, and I don't care for those square wave inverters.

However, there is another  very easy option, buy a small PURE Sinewave inverter (not modified sine wave trash, which is really a modified square wave). These will be very clean, but cost a few bucks. This one will be more than enough for your tablet and more. The W510 tablet is only around 18 watts max, that this suppies 180 watts. This can run ten of them and will be about as clean as household AC.

-Don- SSF, CA

This discussion has been closed.