Emmc+ssd Raid??

Tmzdroid
Tmzdroid Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I recently installed an ssd in my 32gb Aspire Es1-132 and was wondering if its possible to setup both drives in  Raid 0? I cannot find any bios options to enable raid any info would be much appreciated thanks.

Best Answers

• Tmzdroid
    edited May 2018 Answer ✓
    I ended up having a look there are no other slots or onboard memory built in it uses a single stick so it looks like no dual channel mode for me  :/ . I reckon it runs well enough with the 4gb ram it came with (although having 8gb is nice) if anyone is planning to do any upgrades fitting the sata cable and an ssd/hdd would be the best value. 
    Also emmc+ssd Raid setup possible? No.
  • Tmzdroid
    Answer ✓
    As I said above any Raid configuration is not possible on this machine. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    If you try to install RAID0 in the usual mirroring manner, your brandy-new ssd will be as limited as your 32GB eMMC. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tmzdroid
    Ok so should I just leave it setup as 120gb c drive + 32gb d drive? Im happy with it right now although I cant help meddling. I have another question ( a bit off topic ) does anybody know how many memory slots this device has? Speccy shows 2 slots available although other sources state only 1 and max supported ram is 8gb? I have 2 spare 4gb ddr3 sticks which would work or will I have to buy a single 8gb stick?
  • JackE
    Your mainboard likely has one solderable slot with a 4GB module built-in. The other slot is free. Advertised MaxRam is 8GB so a 1600MHz or greater 4GB module should work OK. An 8GB module ***might*** work too if fully recognised by the BIOS but not guaranteed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tmzdroid
    I removed the panel underneath there is a single slot visible with 4gb installed I know the previous model (es1-131) had the ram soldered in plus another available slot underneath the mainboard. It looks like im going to have to take the laptop apart to have a look for any other slots.
  • JackE
    If that slot is already populated with a 4GB module, then It's possible your mainboard's solderable slot is empty if all you're seeing is 4GB. In that case, the 4GB module would have to be replaced with an 8GB module to achieve MaxRam. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tmzdroid
    I put an 8GB stick in the single visible slot I haven't had a look for another slot yet. Another slot would be good then I would put 2x4GB sticks in for dual channel mode. 
  • JackE
    >>>I haven't had a look for another slot yet. Another slot would be good >>>

Before tearing into this thing, does the machine boot with the visible slot empty? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tmzdroid
    edited May 2018 Answer ✓
    I ended up having a look there are no other slots or onboard memory built in it uses a single stick so it looks like no dual channel mode for me  :/ . I reckon it runs well enough with the 4gb ram it came with (although having 8gb is nice) if anyone is planning to do any upgrades fitting the sata cable and an ssd/hdd would be the best value. 
    Also emmc+ssd Raid setup possible? No.
  • JackE
    Trying to mirror the 32GB eMMC onto the 120GB SSD might limit your system to 32GB. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tmzdroid
    JackE said:
    Trying to mirror the 32GB eMMC onto the 120GB SSD might limit your system to 32GB. Jack E/NJ

I cloned the 32gb emmc using the Samsung migration tool giving me a 120gb ssd as C drive + the 32gb emmc  as drive D its all good and has been since I did it nearly 2 months ago.
  • JackE
    Yes, I understood that. But I thought you were trying to RAID mirror the original eMMC C: drive on the 120GB drive. In your current setup, you can't RAID mirror the 120GB C: drive. At least not without another 120GB drive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tmzdroid
    Answer ✓
    As I said above any Raid configuration is not possible on this machine.