Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53-52FA seems to run really hot.

hellavagi
hellavagi Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
It's two weeks old, and the CPU reaches 85-90c  and even spiking to 95c when I'm gaming even on low-medium setting while plugged in. This is with CoolBoost on. The games I've tested it on are Skyrim SE and XCOM 2. I know the GTX 1050 can handle those games on high and all the reviews that I've read says that the temp should be around 80c with recent games on high. I have to use low settings unplugged with battery boost set to optimal to keep it under 80c.  Is this normal?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Have you tried using CoolBoost feature in Acer Quick Access application to reduce temperatures? If not give it a try and see whether it helps.

• hellavagi
    Yes cool boost is on. I even tried cooling pads. I’m still getting 75 to 85 with maybe medium settings. Any higher then I’m pushing 90 to 95. 
  • brummyfan2
    edited May 2018
    Hi,
    I would suggest you to return it and  get a replacement or a refund from the retailer, as it's a week old laptop, it shouldn't run hot, if you don't want to return it, send it for a service to Acer support centre for a service under warranty.

• ACN5
    ACN5 Member Posts: 12 New User
    hellavagi said:
    It's two weeks old, and the CPU reaches 85-90c  and even spiking to 95c when I'm gaming even on low-medium setting while plugged in. This is with CoolBoost on. The games I've tested it on are Skyrim SE and XCOM 2. I know the GTX 1050 can handle those games on high and all the reviews that I've read says that the temp should be around 80c with recent games on high. I have to use low settings unplugged with battery boost set to optimal to keep it under 80c.  Is this normal?
    Try to undervolt it, my laptop used to spike to 82 Centigrade, but now the temps are 50-74 max!
  • hellavagi
    how do you undervolt? I'm wondering if it may have bad paste. I was thinking of changing the paste but I didn't want to open it up while under warranty.
  • brummyfan2
    hellavagi said:
    how do you undervolt? I'm wondering if it may have bad paste. I was thinking of changing the paste but I didn't want to open it up while under warranty.
    Hi,
    I would suggest you to undervolt it with Throttlestop and see whether it helps, all the steps and instructions are in the link below.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/