BIOS update broke performance! How to downgrade/revert?

punindya
punindya Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
As the title says, I updated my Predator g3-572 laptop's BIOS from version 1.07 which came preinstalled to the latest 1.13 version given on its drivers page. Since then, I had been seeing a visible decrease in gaming performance of the laptop. The laptop was also getting needlessly hot, which got solved once I got a thermal paste replacement from a service center. Despite this, the performance was still not back to where it used to be before. On careful inspection using various monitoring softwares, I found out that my 7700hq CPU wasn't going up till 3.8GHz speed, which it should on single thread applications. Also, when using all the 4 cores, the maximum speed was 2.8GHz, when it should be 3.4GHz. I searched about this on google and came across various links where people had similar complaints, and one of them ( https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/533010/predator-helios-300-performance-drops-after-updating-bios-to-1-10 ) talked about that the bios update broke his CPU performance. Now, I am suspecting that the same has happened with my laptop too.

So I just want to know how to downgrade my BIOS version back to the preinstalled version of 1.07? 

Thank you

Answers

• sSyeBzuD
    sSyeBzuD Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Good Luck only certain models / Hardware can downgrade and its hard to tell which can I had to sell a whole laptop before that I got a great deal on cus I decide to upgrade the bios I used a software upgrade instead of a USB stick on an Acer gaming laptop ill never do that again I didn't give up on Acer I'm on a predator 17 now, Have you tried Accer support or anything I really doubt you can revert back I would try to make the best of current and be glad worse didnt happen you can also buy overclocking software as well. maybe wait out till the next bios update even sorry this wasn't more helpful I remember being upset when I needed to reverse a bios update and I saw know one had commented so I thought Id respond.
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited May 2018
    It may be possible to downgrade, however you need to load the exact file from an external drive (USB or CD).  First you need to DL the required BIOS then extract the correct BIOS file, create USB boot drive, boot the notebook from that drive (FreeDos, Rufus etc.) and execute the correct BIOS update.  I know it all sounds vague, however you need to do the homework on the specific model and BIOS to make it work.

Only major problem is if Acer have put a "flag " in the system to lock and prevent and reversion of the BIOS, equally from a DOS environment should be OK.  Also understand with this approach if you get it wrong the notebook will likely be bricked as all the safeguards are off. This is old school, just need to be certain of the correct BIOS file, and all will be good.

Q-6 
  • TechSaavy
    TechSaavy Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter

Hi There,

As a tech I would suggest you to give the computer to Acer repair center on this issue. Trying flash BIOS or trying any other steps will cause severe damages to your computer.

Link to book your computer for Acer Service : http://customercare.acer-apac.com/CustomerSelfService/CaseBooking.aspx?CID=IN&LID=ENG

Regards,

TechSaavy  

Hit "LIKE" if i answered your question 

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    TechSaavy said:

Hi There,

As a tech I would suggest you to give the computer to Acer repair center on this issue. Trying flash BIOS or trying any other steps will cause severe damages to your computer.

Link to book your computer for Acer Service : http://customercare.acer-apac.com/CustomerSelfService/CaseBooking.aspx?CID=IN&LID=ENG

Regards,

TechSaavy  

Hit "LIKE" if i answered your question 

Flashing BIOS is a common practise, one simply needs to be informed and fully understand the process.  Flashing the correct BOS to a computer will not result in damage as long as the power supply is stable.  Downgrading BIOS is certainly more complex, equally achievable with the right information.

Q-6
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited May 2018
    Bring to a service center. They have a program they can use to downgrade (Had a technician share the program with me)
    - Hotel Hero
  • PM32
    PM32 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I can confirm this. Upgrading my bios rarely decreased performance on games, and cpu+gpu fans are not turning off when my laptop is on standby <- before upgrading the fan just turn on when processing something.