Why does my laptop not want to start up?

FreakOfAWolf
FreakOfAWolf Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello to everyone, I am new to this community. I have bought an Acer Predator 17 g5 793 recently, the laptop came only with an SSD 250 GB and no other SSD or HDD. Today I bought a Seagate FireCuda 2tb 2.5 laptop small HDD and I plugged it in the big space after opening the lid with the cable plugged in nice and fine. Then after I closed the lid I turned it around and I pressed the power button, the button lights up for a second and then nothing happens, not the fans not the keyboard nothing works nothing happens, I go to press the button again, this time not even lighting up the button. I open the lid again I remove the Seagate and the cable for the Seagate then I run it again and it starts up fine. I went into BIOS menu and changed the boot options to my current SSD and to windows bootloader to second. I opened the lid again and placed the Seagate with the cable and again the same scenario with the power button lighting up for half a second. Then I went on to remove the Seagate and leave the cable inside closed the lid, pressed the power button and again the same scenario. I removed the cable and the predator ran perfectly. I guess there is a mechanism for keeping the lid closed because it doesn't allow me to power it on otherwise. But with the new HDD and the cable both I am not able to power the laptop on. I went to the people that gave me the HDD and the cable and I asked for help and after explaining the situation they get me another SSD to test if it was the HDD. It is not the new HDD, the test SSD was also plugged in the lid closed and everything but the laptop still didn't power on. I am lost, please help, I have searched the internet for at least a close situation as the one I am in but I have had no luck so far. 

Thank you in advance for any help.

Answers

• FreakOfAWolf

Tinkerer

BTW I Updated the BIOS Menu to the last one for my model of laptops which is 1.14. Still no change.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,461 Trailblazer
    Sounds like a defective slot. If possible, return the machine to the vendor for a replacement ASAP since a warranty repair will take longer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FreakOfAWolf

Tinkerer

Just an addition, I talked to the guy that gave me the cable today and he said he took it from an old Acer aspire he had in the shop. I searched the internet and I found a guy with an HP laptop that was having the same problem, with the cable looking the same as the one he was supposed to use but for a different hp laptop model which was causing his laptop not to power on when the cable was plugged in, same as me, at least that is how I understood it. Anyway, I went to the shop and asked them to order me a new SATA cable for Acer specifically. The SATA cable for Acer to my understanding should be universal. I am hoping that it is the cable and not the laptop, in any case, I will keep you in the loop.
  • JackE
    Sorry I had assumed the shop used the test SSD with their own cable. Perhaps my assumption was wrong? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FreakOfAWolf

Tinkerer

Thank you anyway man, if the new cable does not work than you are definitely on to something. 
  • FreakOfAWolf

Tinkerer

Okay after a while I forgot to edit for anyone that had a similar problem with their Acer or actually almost any laptop for that matter. It seems that this is a cable issue. The cable given to me was for an Acer Aspire however it was not the correct one even if it does look the same. After the new cable arrived everything worked perfectly fine. I found another person with a similar problem a few days back before I received the cable that had the same problem as me only he had an HP laptop. In any case, I hope that this helps anyone in a similar situation.
  • JackE
    Thanks for the update @FreakOfAWolf Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ