Acer Aspire E5-575-52JF m.2 nvme support

Options

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    JavierVR said:
    Hi! This thread is really useful. I have a E5-575G(-598W) and I'm going to upgrade it with a Samsung 960 EVO through the M.2 port. I know this laptop's M.2 port has x2 lanes, not x4. But I don't mind (I need quick access time [low latency] and quick random read, and those are great with that SSD in my model as I've seen in this forum). The last doubt I have is if I could have the 500GB version or only the 250GB. I ask because I've read that Acer had said that recommended max. was 250GB (for M.2 SATA- I think I've read they didn't know it could run PCIe).

Do you know if 500gb PCIe/NVMe through M.2 port is safe and if it will run properly? 

Thank you so much.
    Hi,
    I think so, I have seen others installing higher size SSDs than the recommended size.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/463195/acer-aspire-e5-575g-53vg-m-2-ssd-upgrade

• JavierVR
    JavierVR Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    Options
    JavierVR said:
    Hi! This thread is really useful. I have a E5-575G(-598W) and I'm going to upgrade it with a Samsung 960 EVO through the M.2 port. I know this laptop's M.2 port has x2 lanes, not x4. But I don't mind (I need quick access time [low latency] and quick random read, and those are great with that SSD in my model as I've seen in this forum). The last doubt I have is if I could have the 500GB version or only the 250GB. I ask because I've read that Acer had said that recommended max. was 250GB (for M.2 SATA- I think I've read they didn't know it could run PCIe).

Do you know if 500gb PCIe/NVMe through M.2 port is safe and if it will run properly? 

Thank you so much.
    Hi,
    I think so, I have seen others installing higher size SSDs than the recommended size.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/463195/acer-aspire-e5-575g-53vg-m-2-ssd-upgrade

Hi, thank you for your reply! I've seen this post, but I don't know if he bought the SSD and if this worked.
  • Ariff
    Ariff Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    slnacer said:
    hi
    1. "Current Link Width " : Is this HWindfo64 available for Linux? How do i get this "current link width "dataitem in linux for PCI devices in linux?
    From lshw i dont see the above data ..any suggestions?
    2. btw my latop mode is E5-575-50RM one. Can i assume all E15 series models have provision for m.2 SSD slot first of all
    thx in advance

Hi,
    I am not familiar with Linux, you may have to wait for someone who is familiar with Linux systems to answer, sorry.
    As for the second question, yes you have a slot for M.2 SSD.

Hi, my laptop Aspire E14 model E5-475G-525V. Still under warranty. What is the form factor of the M.2 SATA SSD that can be installed? Is it 2280? Thank you.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Ariff said:
    slnacer said:
    hi
    1. "Current Link Width " : Is this HWindfo64 available for Linux? How do i get this "current link width "dataitem in linux for PCI devices in linux?
    From lshw i dont see the above data ..any suggestions?
    2. btw my latop mode is E5-575-50RM one. Can i assume all E15 series models have provision for m.2 SSD slot first of all
    thx in advance

Hi,
    I am not familiar with Linux, you may have to wait for someone who is familiar with Linux systems to answer, sorry.
    As for the second question, yes you have a slot for M.2 SSD.

Hi, my laptop Aspire E14 model E5-475G-525V. Still under warranty. What is the form factor of the M.2 SATA SSD that can be installed? Is it 2280? Thank you.
    Hi,
    Yes, it's a M2. 2280 SSD.

• setiaadr12
    setiaadr12 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    hi, can i pair my samsung 960 evo to my e5-475g (i5 6200u + 940mx)?
    this gif from my hwinfo, thanks :)

• brummyfan2
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi,
    Could you post only the PCI Express Root Port 1 highlighted snip, showing the maximum link width, so far I couldn't find anyone with NVMe SSD installed in this model, so I am a bit sceptical whether it would work, however if you buy from a retailer who has good returns policy, you could try and will be the first to install successfully in this model, you have a PCI Express root port 1 with a 4x maximum link width but unable to read the details as it's switching to other ports.
    EDIT: I have found a E5-476G with a NVMe SSD, so you may be able to try a M.2 NVMe SSD.
    http://www.jagatreview.com/2018/01/review-acer-aspire-e5-476g-laptop-murah-untuk-gaming-editing/2/
  • setiaadr12
    setiaadr12 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi,
    Could you post only the PCI Express Root Port 1 highlighted snip, showing the maximum link width, so far I couldn't find anyone with NVMe SSD installed in this model, so I am a bit sceptical whether it would work, however if you buy from a retailer who has good returns policy, you could try and will be the first to install successfully in this model, you have a PCI Express root port 1 with a 4x maximum link width but unable to read the details as it's switching to other ports.
    EDIT: I have found a E5-476G with a NVMe SSD, so you may be able to try a M.2 NVMe SSD.
    http://www.jagatreview.com/2018/01/review-acer-aspire-e5-476g-laptop-murah-untuk-gaming-editing/2/
    looks supported, but the speed is slower than usual. i better buy evo 850 m.2 like suggestions to save my money. thanks =)

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,
    looks supported, but the speed is slower than usual. i better buy evo 850 m.2 like suggestions to save my money. thanks =)

You are welcome :)
  • masa5
    masa5 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello, I have a acer e5-575-76s and the program shows me this, my laptop supports m.2 disk and what kind, sata or nmve? Thank you
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    masa5 said:
    Hello, I have a acer e5-575-76s and the program shows me this, my laptop supports m.2 disk and what kind, sata or nmve? Thank you
    Hi,
    You can install a NVMe SSD.
  • masa5

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    Options
    masa5 said:
    Hi,
    I can use this disk 525gb m.2 sata 2280, thanks.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    masa5 said:
    masa5 said:
    Hi,
    I can use this disk, thanks.
    Yes, you can.
  • masa5

Tinkerer

Options
    masa5 said:
    masa5 said:
    Hi,
    Yes, you can.
    my apologies, this is the disc crucial 525gb m.2 sata type 2280, thanks.
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-ssd-mx300
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    masa5 said:
    masa5 said:
    masa5 said:
    Hi,
    Yes, you can.
    my apologies, this is the disc crucial 525gb m.2 sata type 2280, thanks.
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-ssd-mx300
    No problem, yes it will work.
  • Manga22
    Manga22 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    Hello,

can you please tell me if i can add a nvme drive? or a sata?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Manga22 said:
    Hello,

can you please tell me if i can add a nvme drive? or a sata?
    Hi,
    You need to install HWiNFO64 free program, run it and expand Bus, then expand PCI Bus, highlight PCI Express root ports and check the value for Maximum Link width, if you find any of them as either 2x or 4x, you can install a NVMe SSD, please read my first post in this thread on page 1 for more information.

• Manga22
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I added a link to the picture.
    The thing is it says 3.0 and the both shows x1
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Manga22 said:
    Hi,
    You can not use NVMe SSD, go for a M.2 SATA SSD.
  • Manga22
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Manga22 said:
    Hi,
    You can not use NVMe SSD, go for a M.2 SATA SSD.
    Tks for the info.
    2 more questions: No chance to change that MLW thru Bios update or other updates? Can you recommend me a very good m2 ssd?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
This discussion has been closed.