adding 2nd drive

Vinasithamby
Vinasithamby Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
Can I add a solid state drive to my acer axc-605_w?

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi! The series name "AXC-605" has hardly about 15 different model computers. I request you to please provide the exact model # of the unit, which you are looking for. You can see 4 characters after "AXC-605" and that is what I need. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Sure, but it's not as simple as it might be. The case has two drive bays, both currently in use by the optical drive and the hard drive. The easiest upgrade to a SSD is to replace the hard disk. That is a little awkward since you can't easily have both the HD and SSD connected simultaneously. You can fudge it by leaving everything open and using the third SATA port on the motherboard or you can use an external case connected by USB. I'm not positive that you have enough power connections, so you might need a splitter if you're going to try that first one. Another option would be to yank the ODD and put an adapter in that mounts the SSD. I suppose it's possible that someone makes an adapter that holds a slimline ODD and has room for a SSD as well, but I don't know of one.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • amhuizar
    amhuizar Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a similar question to Vinasithamby.  I would like to add a ssd to my AXC-605-UR1G desktop.  I understand that since this system uses a sata3 connection for the hdd I can not use a PCIe NVMe ssd.  Are there any options other than replacing the hdd to add an internal ssd?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    There are PCIx x1 cards that give an M.2 interface to allow NVMe drives, but most of them aren't bootable. The easiest choice is 6Gbps SATA3 2.5" SSD in either of the two white SATA ports, reserve the black port (3Gbps) for the optical drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.