Spin5 SP515 Keyboard doesn't work after changing of SSD

OS_Spin5
OS_Spin5 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
I have replaced the intern 256GB M.2 SSD with a 1TB M.2 SSD.
I used the attached instruction from Acer.
After closing the lower case and rebuild the Operating system the keyboard will not work partially. Some keys work, some not.

I've opened it a second time and made it again - same error.
I've changed back the original SSD - same error.

What can I do? There's nothing with the keyboard on the backside, what I could have broken.

Thanks for help!

Best Answer

• OS_Spin5
    Answer ✓
    I have the simple solution: The lock of the keyboard connector (red arrows) was open. Therefore the keyboard cable was not successful connected.
    The instruction from Acer said: "Detach the adhesive tapes from the battery pack as shown." (in the instruction, see above. The green arrow at picture below).
    I think this isn't clear enough. And I think, this is an error. Because with the same tape the keyboard cable is fixed at the connector and the board.
    Nevertheless, I have NOT detached the tape from the board and the connector. Nevertheless the connector was open.

Closed the connector - and works!

Thanks to the Acer Support Team for the hint!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Go to Device manager, expand keyboards, highlight and right click Standard PS/2 keyboard, click properties, uninstall the driver in Driver tab, reboot and let Windows install the driver.
  • OS_Spin5
    Good idea, But not the solution.
    I wrote: "rebuild the Operating system" (on the new SSD) and "I've changed back the original SSD - same error."
    This means I have this error in two operation systems. And one of this with a new build OS.
    This can't be an error with the driver.
    Thanks!
    PS: Nevertheless I've tried this - didn't help.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Which work and which do not ? Might be a clue in the scan codes.
  • OS_Spin5
    What do you mean whith "scan codes"?
    It is different. German Keyboard.
    Doesn't work:
    as
    d works, f don't work, g works.
    yxcn,.- doesn't work
    Shift (left+right) and capc lock doesn't work
    Numeric keypad:
    0123569+- doesnt work. 478 works.

Crazy...
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

OK when you press a key, that creates a horizontal and vertical grid point which is translated into a key code e.g. 4 (upper row or keypad with num lock on) becomes a hex 05 which is transmitted to the computer along with any control codes e.g. shift. The computer then checks the registry for the ASCII value and send to the screen. So if keys are not working, it could be the keyboard hardware, the cable, or the computer (registry).

If it were me I'd probably find or write an app that would display the keycode received (or not) and use that to perform triage. Or you could try changing the language which should reload the registry.

• OS_Spin5
    Answer ✓
    I have the simple solution: The lock of the keyboard connector (red arrows) was open. Therefore the keyboard cable was not successful connected.
    The instruction from Acer said: "Detach the adhesive tapes from the battery pack as shown." (in the instruction, see above. The green arrow at picture below).
    I think this isn't clear enough. And I think, this is an error. Because with the same tape the keyboard cable is fixed at the connector and the board.
    Nevertheless, I have NOT detached the tape from the board and the connector. Nevertheless the connector was open.

Closed the connector - and works!

Thanks to the Acer Support Team for the hint!