G9-593 SSD missing and HD volume wrong

uffadboy
uffadboy Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I was having problems with my laptop, it insisted on downloading everything on the 250GB SSD which is the C drive, and nothing on the 1TB HD D drive, even when I went into the settings and set it to download everything to the HD D drive it still went to the SSD. So I figured I would just start over and reset my laptop, so I ordered the recovery USB drive for my laptop from ACER and ran it. Now my laptop is screwed up even worse, I don't know if they sent me the wrong system recovery USB or what, but now the SSD is missing, and the HD is the C drive and shows a volume of 500GB.

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    If it manages to install windows on a single drive there won't be RAID0, as 2 or more drives are required for RAID to be created. Adding the HDD later after the OS is installed won't re create the RAID0.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    There wasn't any need to order an USB recovery drive from Acer to reset windows. There is an integretaed option in windows that lets you reset the PC to factory settings. You could also create a recovery drive from windows by typing in windows search 'create a recovery drive' or using Acer Care Centre.

Go to disk management and take a screenshot like this:

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• uffadboy
    Sorry that got left out of the story, the reset function wasn't working it failed leaving the message "Unable to reset no changes were made" here is the screenshot of what it looks like now.

• ven98
    It seems that RAID 0 array was created with the 2 drives, which appears now as a single drive of 500GB. The easiest way to brake the RAID array is to physically disconnect the HDD from the laptop and then re-install windows on the SSD, and after that connect back the HDD.

Also go to BIOS(press F2 at boot up) and check if you will find both drives listed there.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• uffadboy
    Thanks I will try that when I get off work.
  • uffadboy
    Well I tried that and it didn't work I kept getting an error message that it failed to create a partition, so I plugged the HD back in and then it ran the restore program and it  took me right back where I was, (disclaimer I'm not the most knowledgeable computer person, I can swap out memory and a hard drive but after that, if it doesn't work it's broken) so I will take any help I can get.

• ven98
    You can try deleting the RAID 0 array using iRST, but it I doubt it will work, hasn't worked for any user yet that tried it. Remove the HDD again and boot from the recovery drive. Open command prompt from the recovery menu and input the following commands.
    diskpart
    list disk n(the number of the disk you want to format)
    select disk n
    clean all

This will remove all partitions and format the drive. It will take at least 30min, so you need to wait until it is completed. After it is done, attempt to install windows once again.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• uffadboy
    The recovery drive I purchased from Acer does not have a menu that I can find it goes right into recovery
  • ven98
    A blue screen with a menu should appear after you boot from the drive. And there should be an option 'troubleshoot'.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• uffadboy
    No this is what I get
  • ven98
    That is weird - it is the first time I see something like this. It is even possible that this recovery image is programmed to create raid 0 by defult, otherwise I don't see why the raid 0 was created in the first place and this is probably the reason why it doesn't let you install windows on a single drive. I suggest you to contact Acer and tell them that the recovery media they have sent you created a raid 0, which cannot be deleted and even if it is deleted the recovery media will just recreate it again. Also let them know that it doesn't let you install windows on the SSD only.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• uffadboy

Thanks I'll do that, because  if I try to run the recovery with the HDD disconnected I get this error message

• uffadboy
    I was planning on upgrading the SSD to 500GB or 1TB, do you think I would still have this problem if I did that, disconnected the HDD and ran the recovery disk with a blank SSD ?
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    If it manages to install windows on a single drive there won't be RAID0, as 2 or more drives are required for RAID to be created. Adding the HDD later after the OS is installed won't re create the RAID0.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    I just thought of a possible solution, but you will need a second USB drive, as I don't want you to overwrite the Acer recovery drive. In windows search type 'create a recovery drive' and select 'back up system files to recovery drive'. After the drive is created disconnect the HDD again and by using the windows recovery media install windows on the SSD. Now you should be able to open the command prompt and clean the drive by using the command line from my previous post.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• uffadboy
    Sounds good I’ll give it a shot
  • uffadboy
    I just have to go out and get a large enough usb drive the one Acer sent me is 16gb and the program is using 13 of it 
  • ven98
    yeah, you need at least 16GB storage.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system