VN7 791G Stuck at acer logo after bios update

Winds
Winds Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
So, while checking some stuff at acer site I saw there was an update for my bios and decided to give it a try. For my sadness, after all completed, and the computer restarted it was just stuck at the acer logo :(. while googling for the problem I saw this was an issue with several models and being there for a long time, and also gave a try downloading a previous bios from the site, extracting and placing the FD file into a stick, renamed to poseidonx64.fd to match mine, and tried to turn it on with fn + esc combination, at that time I can see there is activity, as the screen becomes black and the USB flash blinks for a while, then after some seconds the fan stops, usb stops blinking. and then after 2 or 3 secs the notebook turns off. I am trying to figure out if I am missing something or if the crisis recovery for this model is different. can anyone help ?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>and then after 2 or 3 secs the notebook turns off. >>>

When you turn it back on and immediately tap F2, can you still access BIOS menu?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Winds

Tinkerer

no, it just stucks with the acer logo on screen. F2 does nothing. only thing that works is ctr+alt+del makes it reboot.
  • JackE
    Don't warm reboot. Try pressing and holding the power button for about 5 seconds till the machine completely shuts off. Then first press & hold F2. Then turn it back on while still holding F2 down. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Winds

Tinkerer

Unfortunately it also doesn' t work :( same acer logo screen 
  • JackE
    edited April 2018
    Press and hold the power button again to shut machine completely off.  Remove charger. Then try the pinhole reset if you haven't done so already Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Winds

Tinkerer

yes, I tried that several times, no luck. I'm on the way to open it and remove the battery/hd to see if anything different happens.
  • JackE
    OK. If you haven't done so already, try pressing F8 at the logo screen. If nothing happens, then try f4. The F12. If still nothing press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If still nothing, then yes, try removing the HDD to try to force your way in to the BIOS menu. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Winds

Tinkerer

none worked, unfortunately. Wonder if there isn't any step missing at the usb flashing, I remember reading somewhere ealier (trying to find that post again), some folks with the same model tried to flash w working bios, with the fn+esc and when it ended and they turned on their PC, they were still at the old build, like nothing happened.
    Aprreciate your attention though
  • JackE
    >>>downloading a previous bios from the site, extracting and placing the FD file into a stick, renamed to poseidonx64.fd to match mine>>>

(1) What website? (2) Which download? (3) Where did you get the filename from? (4) How do you know the filename matched yours? (5) Did you use an .fd binary assigned to another model? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Winds

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>downloading a previous bios from the site, extracting and placing the FD file into a stick, renamed to poseidonx64.fd to match mine>>>

(1) What website? (2) Which download? (3) Where did you get the filename from? (4) How do you know the filename matched yours? (5) Did you use an .fd binary assigned to another model? Jack E/NJ

1 - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/5615?b=1&pn=NX.MS7EG.001
    2 - Ended up trying all the 3 bios donwloads available
    3 - Extracted the exe file, and got the fd file from there. First I tried the recovery with the file as it is and nothing happened, then doing some more research I found that the recovery looks for specific file name x64, though, Poseidon is my mother board and I gave it a try, renamed the fd to poseidonx64.fd and that's when I saw some activity.
    4 - answered on 3
    5 - No, just tried the 3 files available for my model
  • JackE
    OK. I suggest re-trying (multiple times if necessary) the Fn+Esc flash routine but only usingthe latest .FD binary. It should be the only file in the root directory of the bootstick. Then follow this procedure. (1) Shut the machine completely off (2) Remove the charger plug (3) Insert the stick in another USB port (4) Press and hold the FN+ESC keys (5) Re-insert the charger while still holding FN+ESC keys (6) Turn the machine back on while still holding FN+ESC keys (6) Release FN+ESC keys when USB LED activity begins (7) If successful the machine will automatically reboot, not shut down.

If it fails again, retry the above procedure in another USB port using only the latest .FD binary. Keep retrying if necessary till you've tried each USB port twice.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Winds

Tinkerer

no lucky :(  still the same issue!
  • JackE
    Still no response using F2 immediately after cold boot either? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Winds

Tinkerer

No, still the same! 
  • JackE
    If you're machine is no longer under warranty, you could try removing the CMOS cell and shorting its mainboard terminals. Another option would be to short the G2002 password hardware gap on the mainboard. Both require substantial disassembly. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Winds

Tinkerer

Thanks I'll try it later tonight..
  • Winds

Tinkerer

I believe I am out of lucky with this one.  Wonder if there is a place I could download the other version I was using before all this started.
  • JackE
    At this point, I doubt even that would help if it was available. So let's try to force the BIOS menu to open. Turn off the machine again. Press & hold a bunch of random keys. Turn the machine back on while holding these keys. Do you get any keyboard beep code errors before the logo appears. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Winds

Tinkerer

nothing. so I have tried it again, removing the battery cell for cmos, and shortening the g002. and let it rest for a while. now when I try to turn it on, I get nothing on the screen. if I try the fn+esc to flash the bios I ca see activity at the USB drive as before and then the computer turns off. nothing changes.... 
  • Winds

Tinkerer

so, I kept trying, and it seems to be into an eternal loop.. the screen flashed twice, but no logo..  thinking I'll just wait and see.