Just how much does clicking "turbo" overlock my GPU?

Voidsteper
Voidsteper Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have an Acer Predator G9-593 with a Nvidia GTX1070 inside. I tried to use MSI Afterburner but quickly realized that my options, as far as software is concerned, for overclocking? Are rather limited. So i looked back into the version of predator sense that shipped stock with my laptop. It literally, aside from lighting changes, has three options. Normal, faster, and turbo. What do these mean? No matter what i click  i honestly do not notice much difference in performance within high end games. So my question is, how much, if at all, does predator sense overclock my GPU? 

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Yes, faster and turbo increase the clock speeds, but not by much. I think faster gives +70MHz and turbo +140MHz, which means around 7-8% improvement in performance, which is bearly noticable, hence you haven't noticed it.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    The reason why MSI afterburner doesn't let you increase the power limit, is because this option is locked from the BIOS or VBIOS. The average maximum frequency you can overclock the CPU by is 140MHz, exactly as what predator sense does. If you are lucky, you might be able to push the core clocks about 5-20Mhz without affecting stability, but that is just not worth it. 

The reason why you can't set a fan curve from MSI afterburner is because it doesn't recognise the fan controller. The only application that will let you control the fan speeds is Predator Sense.

Sushant_ using turbo preset increases the average fps.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Answers

• ven98
    You can download GPU-Z and find out by how much each preset increases the clock speeds.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Voidsteper

Tinkerer

ven98 said:
    You can download GPU-Z and find out by how much each preset increases the clock speeds.
    Well, there are Mhz readings pertaining to the GPU IN predator sense. They just don't seem to change when i "overclock" the GPU using the provided buttons. So does it even change anything at all? Or is it for peace of mind. I mean...the fans don't even kick on upon raising the machine to "turbo" mode. 
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Yes, faster and turbo increase the clock speeds, but not by much. I think faster gives +70MHz and turbo +140MHz, which means around 7-8% improvement in performance, which is bearly noticable, hence you haven't noticed it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Voidsteper

Tinkerer

ven98 said:
    Ahhhh. Thank you for the information. I understand now. So i suppose my question now is...is there an overclocking tool equivalent to predator sense or MSI afterburner as far as ease of use is concerned? I could probably use MSI afterburner but it was rather daunting considering that is was allowing me to raise the clock speeds but NOT the temperature, power, and fan levels. I'm essentially trying to get the mobile 1070 chip up closer to the desktop level chip in as safe a manner as possible (considering the prices of replacement hardware nowadays). I know it's possible but i am not really looking to tamper with hardware or bios (hence why i was looking at the purely software approach). 
  • Sushant_
    Sushant_ Member Posts: 73 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited April 2018
    ven98 said:
    Ahhhh. Thank you for the information. I understand now. So i suppose my question now is...is there an overclocking tool equivalent to predator sense or MSI afterburner as far as ease of use is concerned? I could probably use MSI afterburner but it was rather daunting considering that is was allowing me to raise the clock speeds but NOT the temperature, power, and fan levels. I'm essentially trying to get the mobile 1070 chip up closer to the desktop level chip in as safe a manner as possible (considering the prices of replacement hardware nowadays). I know it's possible but i am not really looking to tamper with hardware or bios (hence why i was looking at the purely software approach). ..
    ...you could try to find alternative softwares to Predator Sense, but the result will be the same. I too once wondered why I don't feel a difference and so I benchmarked  games with turbo on and at normal. What I found out, was that it is just as it seems. There's barely any improvement. Your average FPS doesn't change much but the high spikes go higher. Not that it'll help us in any way, but, well. <(^_^)/ Something's better than Nothing they say.
    <3 ...Just another overly curious guy.
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    The reason why MSI afterburner doesn't let you increase the power limit, is because this option is locked from the BIOS or VBIOS. The average maximum frequency you can overclock the CPU by is 140MHz, exactly as what predator sense does. If you are lucky, you might be able to push the core clocks about 5-20Mhz without affecting stability, but that is just not worth it. 

The reason why you can't set a fan curve from MSI afterburner is because it doesn't recognise the fan controller. The only application that will let you control the fan speeds is Predator Sense.

Sushant_ using turbo preset increases the average fps.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• azzido
    azzido Member Posts: 8 New User
    ven98 , use GPU-Z application to check what was your MHz values for GPU. 
    Even after gaming you can click on "Sensors" tab and there on "GPU Core "Clock" or any other label that will show you MIN, MAX and AVG values since the application is running :) 

Same comes for temperature and other factors.