Aspire 5742ZG processor update

Killabyte
Killabyte Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello! :blush:
I want to change processor in my old Aspire from 2012.
Link to Acer website: https://www.acer.com/ac/pl/PL/content/support-product/3280?b=1&pn=NX.RYAEP.002
It has a PGA988 socket.
In default it has Pentium P6200, which not allows me to play CS:GO (what I want to), but GPU is so good for me (610M).
I want to change CPU.
Which CPUs can I install?

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    It will most likely work as all aspire 5742 laptops have similar motherboards. The only main difference is that the G models have dedicated GPU. The BIOS of the 5742 is the same as 5742ZG, so most likely there shouldn't be anything to stop you from swapping to the i5-480M that is on aspire 5742.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket G1 (rPGA988A).html List of compatible CPU's with this socket. The CPUs from the list that are with higher TDP are less likely to work.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Killabyte

Tinkerer

I know, so I'll buy best in TDP 35W.

It can work? Socket is good, but InsydeH2O BIOS can not support it.
  • ven98
    I don't know if the BIOS will accept the processor, which means there is a chance for it to work or not to work.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Killabyte

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    Oh, ok...

There will be higher chance of it if I'll choose processor pre-built in Aspire 5742 series?
    For example, Acer Aspire 5742 is selling by Acer with Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz too.
    So if I update BIOS, it can work? :v
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    It will most likely work as all aspire 5742 laptops have similar motherboards. The only main difference is that the G models have dedicated GPU. The BIOS of the 5742 is the same as 5742ZG, so most likely there shouldn't be anything to stop you from swapping to the i5-480M that is on aspire 5742.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Killabyte

Tinkerer

Yea! :DD
    Thanks ^_^