How to fix Acer Nitro AN515-15 "turning off unexpectedly" problem?

turkino
turkino Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited April 2018 in Nitro Gaming
Laptop: Acer Nitro AN515-51
BIOS: V1.13
Problem: Laptop turn off unexpectedly while not in charge.

Best Answer

• DeejayHex
    DeejayHex Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Hi All,

My Nitro 5 has been having the same issue, and I've come to find that it was caused by my magnetic wristwatch strap.
    The lid sensor on mine can be found on the bottom center left of the mouse pad.

https://youtu.be/hx6FPVFhzeU

Hope this helps someone!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Does it reboot or just turn off?

download this tool, whocrashed:

before running it, browse to C:\windows\minidump
    delete all files apart the first 2-3 files (newest)
    then install whocrashed and run it
    click on Analyze
    report here the result.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • turkino
    The laptop do not reboot. The laptop turn off unexpectedly: Screen goes to black and keyboard light turn off. It happen only while not charging, at any power level percent of the battery. It also happen in sleep mode (when I close the lead or press the keys Fn+F4 to put it in sleep mode). I can put the laptop in sleep mode, and after some time (1 hour later, half hour later, etc), I return to work on the laptop and I see is off.

I will install the tool, and let you know.
  • turkino
    There is no C:\windows\minidump directory in my laptop. Also, there is no C:\windows\memory.dmp. I will proceed to install the program. If my laptop turn off unexpectedly again, I will see if Windows create an error/dump file, and/or run the tool.
  • turkino
    Laptop turned off unexpectedly again. I ran the tool and this is the result:

Crash Dump Analysis
    Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
    C:\WINDOWS
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer
  • IronFly
    call Acer support service, can be a battery issue.
  • peoecp
    peoecp Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I have an AN515-51 with bios v1.13 and it also turns off sometimes. Interesting is that I got my computer replaced but cloned the harddrive and both computers does the exact same poweroff, indicating that this is not a single computer hardware flaw.
  • turkino
    This are other cases I have found on Acer community, with same laptop model, with the same problem:

1. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/536218/acer-nitro-5-turning-off-randomly-while-not-charging
    2. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/530467/acer-nitro-an515-51-turns-of-when-i-remove-the-power-adapter

Making reference to the first case, my laptop already came with the newest Bios, because I purchased in January 2018, i. e. that is not the problem. Making reference to both cases, I will try the internal battery reset to eliminate possibilities.
  • turkino
    I did the battery reset procedure following this instructions:

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

I will let you know if this fix the error in my laptop. If the problem continues, I will call Acer support Service. The last thing I'm going to do is replace it. Either way, I will keep you posted.
  • DJSheridan
    DJSheridan Member Posts: 2 New User
    turkino said:
    I did the battery reset procedure following this instructions:

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

I will let you know if this fix the error in my laptop. If the problem continues, I will call Acer support Service. The last thing I'm going to do is replace it. Either way, I will keep you posted.
    So has this worked?
    I bought my Nitro 5 yesterday and it has switched off unexpectedly 5 times.
    If this is an issue then Acer should be addressing the problem.
    I'm going back to where i bought it and getting a replacement or my money back!
  • turkino
    Since I did the battery reset like I said in this thread, and tightened all the screws like they said in this other thread:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/536218/acer-nitro-5-turning-off-randomly-while-not-charging

I have not experienced again my computer turning off unexpectedly. In my personal opinion, I think that tightening the screws solved the problem, it has more sense. Saying that, this week I have experienced a BSoD that I think is unrelated to this thread, so I made another thread about this problem:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/539678/bsods-due-to-qcamain10x64-sys

Thank you all for your help!

• kiesukas99
    kiesukas99 Member Posts: 2 New User
    IronFly said:
    Does it reboot or just turn off?

download this tool, whocrashed:

before running it, browse to C:\windows\minidump
    delete all files apart the first 2-3 files (newest)
    then install whocrashed and run it
    click on Analyze
    report here the result.
    Computer name: LAPTOP-L8N981RK
    Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 16299
    Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
    Hardware: Nitro AN515-41, Acer, BR, Freed_BRS
    CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD FX-9830P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G AMD586, level: 21
    4 logical processors, active mask: 15
    RAM: 8008355840 bytes total

Crash Dump Analysis
    Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
    C:\WINDOWS
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Tue 01/05/2018 15:49:35 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050118-15437-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75DB33)
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFAD055C7408F8, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
    This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 29/04/2018 13:20:39 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042918-13328-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75DB33)
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFB184681848F8, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
    This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

• IronFly
    Try what Turkino user suggested in the message before yours.
  • kiesukas99
    kiesukas99 Member Posts: 2 New User
    its doesn't help
    maybe there is some more things what i need to do?  
  • IronFly
    Yes, call Acer support service if you are still under warranty.
  • Mcnock
    Mcnock Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

hey have you experienced shutting down again?
  • 3nails4holes
    3nails4holes Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had this same problem.  Bought my Acer Nitro 5 at Costco.  The problem started soon after for me.  

When it's plugged in--no problem.  When it's not plugged in, it would often go to sleep or shut down on its own.  I wasn't sure which it was since the time to boot on this laptop is relatively quick.  I think it must've shut down since I would get the ACER start screen.  Either way--very frustrating.

I just got off the phone with Acer customer support.  On my model, there is a small reset hole with a stamped picture of a battery on the underside/bottom of the laptop.  It's the only reset hole I can find.  All others are screw holes.  It is on the side of the laptop nearest the most ports (the left side when the laptop is oriented for typing and gaming).

I was instructed to do the following:

1.  Shut down computer and remove laptop power cable.

2.  Insert a paperclip or similar item into the battery rest hole.  Hold it down for 30 seconds (minimum).  Then remove the paperclip.

3.  Restart while on battery power and see if the problem happens again.

I've been off the phone for about 30 minutes and no problem so far.

Good luck!

Other than the lack of a HD, this has been the only problem I've had with this otherwise affordable and zippy laptop.

• ttaylor770
    ttaylor770 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Good day everyone, I am having a the same serious issue, now it's fixed, thanks~~~

------------------------------
    Trademark Attorney

• Kannan98
    Kannan98 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Good day everyone, I am having a the same serious issue, now it's fixed, thanks~~~

------------------------------
    Trademark Attorney

How come u fixed this, I too have the same issue 
  • Paulo_Alvarenga
    Paulo_Alvarenga Member Posts: 3 New User
    I was able to solve by following the steps of the following link:
    https://br.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55693
  • DeejayHex
    DeejayHex Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Hi All,

My Nitro 5 has been having the same issue, and I've come to find that it was caused by my magnetic wristwatch strap.
    The lid sensor on mine can be found on the bottom center left of the mouse pad.

https://youtu.be/hx6FPVFhzeU

Hope this helps someone!